Team USA Basketball 2024 (Men's)

I watched parts; Embiid either looked like the best player ever or someone who didn't belong on the court. It was a drastic difference.

EDIT: I also really hate that he is on this team. I am very tribal when it comes to the Olympics. You should represent YOUR country.

I at least sorta get the things like Sabonis, who I think was born in the US, but has deep ties to Lithuania playing for them. And if Embiid home country doesn't have a team, playing for France makes sense because of the French Mandate Terriory. Playing for the US just doesn't make any logical sense to me in this context.

/diatribe
Embiid is an American and he takes pride in being an American. What's wrong with that?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I watched parts; Embiid either looked like the best player ever or someone who didn't belong on the court. It was a drastic difference.

EDIT: I also really hate that he is on this team. I am very tribal when it comes to the Olympics. You should represent YOUR country.

I at least sorta get the things like Sabonis, who I think was born in the US, but has deep ties to Lithuania playing for them. And if Embiid home country doesn't have a team, playing for France makes sense because of the French Mandate Territory. Playing for the US just doesn't make any logical sense to me in this context.

/diatribe
Wouldn't that make you want to play for anyone but France?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
54-43 Serbia at halftime.

Curry having 20 is at least keeping Team USA from being blown out.

Both teams shooting it pretty well overall, but IMO the biggest difference has been Serbia winning the battle on the glass. 20-14 rebounding advantage right now.

It would also help if Team USA weren't 4-8 from the line while Serbia has gone 6-7.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Micic not even the third point guard for the Hornets this season still just running circles around Jrue and Derrick White somehow lmao

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Jokic truly the greatest “accidentally awesome” player in the league. Everything the dude does looks so dumb and clumsy until the ball happens to get in the hoop.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Ok - I should post this on general but whatevs, I've been following from afar. This week has been a buttkicker and this game is now top of my list of catch up when I get home tonight.

Feel free to send me other must watch stuff from the week (figure USWNT-GER is also on my list but track and field suggestions also welcome).

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Team USA just sorta saving Embiid from himself with Bron and Steph taking over
I mean, I enjoy a good Embiid joke myself, but the score was 70-78 SRB when he checked back in the game in the fourth. Embiid's contribution before he started glitching was:
  • Assist
  • Made 2ptr
  • Made 2ptr
  • Made FT
  • Made 2ptr
  • Block

All of which came in the course of a 14-6 USA run. Let's acknowledge that, too.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean, I enjoy a good Embiid joke myself, but the score was 70-78 SRB when he checked back in the game in the fourth. Embiid's contribution before he started glitching was:
  • Assist
  • Made 2ptr
  • Made 2ptr
  • Made FT
  • Made 2ptr
  • Block

All of which came in the course of a 14-6 USA run. Let's acknowledge that, too.
Sure. By no means am I saying that he’s a bad player but the guy was on the verge of another (bad) one for the trophy case before the adults in the room took over and won it for America.
Just given the narrative behind this game (“Embiid is a traitor to France!” “Gobert always chokes in the big one”), I feel like we’re ripe for an absolutely epic game within the game between those two.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
OK, but in this game half of Serbia's points, 63% of their FGA (60% of their 3PTA), and 77% of their assists were recorded by players who are currently in the NBA.

This isn't just a Serbia (featuring Jokic, Bogdan, Micic, and Jovic) thing. Team France has had major contributions from Wembanyama, Batum, Fournier, Gobert and Ntilikina. Team Germany: Schroder, Wagner, Wagner, Theis. Team Spain only has Aldama and Garuba as current NBA players but features at least 6 former NBA guys. Team Greece IS Giannis.

If you want to make it a USA vs. the world thing, the world is continually closing in on the USA in terms of producing great basketball players. But those great players still gravitate to the NBA. I don't see a good argument for Euroleague being competitive with the NBA - especially if that argument is coming from a player who spent a year in the NBA and saw a literal 8 minutes of court time, and then turned around, went back to Euroleague, and stepped immediately into a starting spot earning 25 minutes per game. There's a very obvious conclusion to be drawn here.

Ok - I should post this on general but whatevs, I've been following from afar. This week has been a buttkicker and this game is now top of my list of catch up when I get home tonight.

Feel free to send me other must watch stuff from the week (figure USWNT-GER is also on my list but track and field suggestions also welcome).
Men’s 1500m and Men’s 400m - MUST watch

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
And as long as the pay gap between the NBA and the Euroleague remains where it is, they will continue to do so.
Even after I imagine many will want to go to USA either to experience it or test their mettle.

Our buddy probably set back many mid-level players from getting their chance though.