Super Bowl XLVIII

Who wins the Super Bowl and other bets? (POST SCORE PREDICTIONS in thread)

• Seattle over Denver

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Denver over Seattle

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • 1. Combined score UNDER 48 points

• 1. Combined score 48 points or OVER

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 2. Coin flip is Heads

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 2. Coin flip is Tails

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 3. QB wins MVP

• 3. Non-QB wins MVP

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 4. Two (2) or fewer combined turnovers

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 4. Three (3) or more combined turnovers

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, the NFL season is down to two teams. It's time to start making predictions for the Super Bowl.

Seattle Seahawks vs Denver Broncos

Sun, Feb. 2, 3:25 PM PST FOX​

As for our prediction game, here are the standings after 3 weeks (last week in parentheses):
18(8) - Capt. Factorial
18(8) - uolj
13(4) - Warhawk
10(4) - Telemachus
8(-) - LoungeLizard
8(0) - pdxKingsFan
8(-) - TyFreak Evans
7(0) - VF21
2(-) - deekay2o9
0(0) - bsegers
0(0) - sterö

For this last one, please post your final score predictions in the thread. There are points and bonus points as follows:

Correctly pick the winner: 8pts
Correctly pick the margin (winner must be correct): 4pts
Correctly pick the Broncos' score: 3pts
Correctly pick the Seahawks' score: 3pts
Off of Broncos' score by 1: 2pts
Off of Seahawks' score by 1: 2pts
Off of Broncos' score by 2: 1pt
Off of Seahawks' score by 2: 1pt
Each correctly guessed bets in the poll: 1pt

Tiebreakers are:
1. Most pick 'em game points scored this week. (I.e. If one team comes from behind with a better prediction this week to tie another team, they would win.)
2. Closest combined score to actual combined score of the two teams in the game.
3. That's it... If there's still a tie then we have a tie.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I refuse to pick Seattle to win anything, so Denver 24-17. Doubt I will watch the game, but might end up doing so just to see the commercials and laugh when Seattle screws something up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm rooting for a major storm to hit New York ... I cannot and will not root for either team. For purposes of this contest ONLY, I'm going with Denver 24-14.

Ick. My childhood favorite team QB'd by my least favorite player vs. the team from that dumpy fishing village to the North and their insufferable fans.

Broncos win in a high scoring affair.

Hardest part for me to pick was turnovers because Peyton was so danged good against the Pats but I really think the Talib injury completely changed the game (second year in a row ugh!). I'm sure Sherman is good for one pick and Wilson will throw at least one or two if the Donkeys go up huge.

I'm predicting a game that I will hate watching. Seattle winning, a Sherman interception, a tight, tense game where the Broncos just come up short. It's not that I like the Broncos, but I don't want Seattle to win and I also wouldn't mind Manning being able to quiet the critics on his postseason ability.

Seattle 21
Denver 16

Speaking of Manning and postseason ability, one thorough examination of stats shows that his actual production makes him the third best playoff quarterback of the Super Bowl era, well ahead of Brady.

http://www.footballperspective.com/the-best-playoff-quarterbacks-in-the-super-bowl-era/

And you know those stats are good given who was number 1 by a significant margin. (Hint: he wore #16).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wasn't going to watch, I shouldn't be watching, but I find I cannot help myself.

So far, I'm liking a lot of the commercials. :p

According to Twitter, Mark Cuban put $20 down on the first play from scrimmage resulting in a safety and won at 1 million to 1 odds. Yeah, figures...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Radio Shack commercial: Why don't they quit fooling around and just call it CellPhone Shack? Liked all the 80s references, but come on...

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Apparently, the Denver gameplan is to let Seattle abuse them, thus lulling Wilson and Company into a false sense of security.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Muppets Toyota Highlander commercial: Cute
Subway Fritos enchilada commercial: They paid $4 million for that?!?!?!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I cannot root for the Seahawks. I just do not like them. :p

From Twitter (Sign Lady's husband):

Niko Rust ‏@Kings_6thMan 57s
Right now, someone from Denver is furiously searching for the stadium fuse box to try and change this momentum.
They are from our conference and I think they are the second best team in the league. They're good and I respect that. I must admit I fell asleep.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Audi Doberhuahua commercial: Funniest ever.
T-mobile Tebow commercial: Clever.
Sneaky hidden 24 JACK BAUER commercial: ROCKING!!!

Super Bore. There's been lot of games like that over the years - luckily several of them 49ers Super Blowouts. I think it's another reason both NFL and NBA need to re-seed at end of the season so you actually ALWAYS get two best teams in championship game. Forget this AFC vs NFC do or die potential train wreck every time. Heck maybe it would have been Niners vs. Seahawks in Super Bowl this year instead of two western state teams anyway. Sort of like what NCAA basketball does with March Madness leading Final Four or what college football is finally doing starting next season with its Division I playoffs leading to no argument national champion.

Super Bore. There's been lot of games like that over the years - luckily several of them 49ers Super Blowouts. I think it's another reason both NFL and NBA need to re-seed at end of the season so you actually ALWAYS get two best teams in championship game. Forget this AFC vs NFC do or die potential train wreck every time. Heck maybe it would have been Niners vs. Seahawks in Super Bowl this year instead of two western state teams anyway. Sort of like what NCAA basketball does with March Madness leading Final Four or what college football is finally doing starting next season with its Division I playoffs leading to no argument national champion.
I think the Super Bowl has been more competitive the last couple decades because you're not getting the top two seeds in there. Or perhaps because there just aren't as many really dominant teams. This year the Broncos and the Seahawks were the two best teams, so I don't think a re-seed would have helped any. (You might argue that by the end the 49ers were playing better than Denver, but based on anything objective like records, stats, or advanced stats the Seahawks and Broncos would have been 1-2.)

By the way... looks like I failed to set the option to make the poll results public, and since only a few people predicted a score in the thread and they all predicted a Denver win there's no need to go through and tally things up. The correct choices for the other bets were:

1. OVER 48 points
2. Tails
3. Non-QB MVP
4. MORE than 2 turnovers.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Peyton Manning set a Super Bowl record for most completions. Demaryius Thomas established the mark for most receptions. There ought to be an asterisk after these records.

*So what?

I think the Super Bowl has been more competitive the last couple decades because you're not getting the top two seeds in there. Or perhaps because there just aren't as many really dominant teams. This year the Broncos and the Seahawks were the two best teams, so I don't think a re-seed would have helped any. (You might argue that by the end the 49ers were playing better than Denver, but based on anything objective like records, stats, or advanced stats the Seahawks and Broncos would have been 1-2.)
I don't know, man, Denver played a cake schedule. Niners battled through some adversity and had some heartbreaks like the loss to New Orleans that really swung the home field advantage in the NFC. I don't have advanced stats to back things up, but the NFC and the NFC West in particular were just on another spectrum of eliteness that no team in the AFC could touch. The Super Bowl was really played two weeks ago and had the 49ers got home field advantage, they may be hoisting that Lombardi right now. F Seattle.