Suck it up and play... (from July 24, 2004)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I found this on my hard-drive. I originally wrote and posted it on July 24, 2004 - when we knew Vlade was gone and Peja was unhappy, but not that he was going to demand a trade. As my 100th post on the new, improved KingsFans.com, I thought I'd post it again.

It seems, once again, the off-season is being consumed by rumors, innuendoes, and rumblings either about or by a couple of Kings players. I have a couple of words I would like to say:

Suck it up and play!!

For Bobby Jackson - Yes, you were the target of a lot of speculation and rumor, true or unfounded. Some even questioned your heart or whether or not you actually could have made a positive contribution in the playoffs. It's in the past. Instead of looking at what will happen after next season or where you may end up playing, concentrate on THIS season. Suck it up and play.

For Peja Stojakovic - Yes, people have called you soft. Yes, you've had big brother Vlade around during your entire NBA career. Well, he's gone. You can step up to the challenge and play like we all know you're capable of playing, or you can make silly comments in interviews that make you sound like a petulant child. Forget about last season. Focus on this season. Suck it up and play.

For Chris Webber - Yes, you sucked it up and played. You put it all out there on the court and you gave it everything you could. And, afterwards, you made a comment about wanting to play with other warriors. Wanting to go all the way with the guys you know want it as badly as you do. Unfortunately, because of your proclivity for injuries, etc. some people find those comments upsetting and it may even hurt the fragile egos of some of your teammates. So, Chris, this season? Don't say anything to the press. NOT A WORD! Read the team the riot act in the locker room - as team captain - but say nothing outside of those doors. Suck it up and play!!

I guess I've snapped. I don't want to see any more excuses. I don't want to see any more players whining because something didn't go their way and because their feelings may have been bruised. For the amount of money they're being paid, they can learn to deal with a few criticisms or bruised egos.

I want to see results. I want to see those guys play EVERY game like it's game 7. No more passes on losses in games we should have and could have won. If people play their best and leave it all on the court, fine. If they simply have an off-night, no problem. But if players appear, IMHO, to be coasting along and not giving it all, I'm gonna say so...No more Ms. Nice Guy. If, after the game, they just shrug when questioned about their poor performance and make the "Hey, it's only one game" comment, I may well go ballastic.

I want to see top caliber basketball every single night. It's what they're being paid to do, it's what we're paying damned good money to see, it's what we all deserve. My heart has made its last excuse for poor performance by anyone...

So, to all of them I say again: Suck it up and play!!

GO KINGS!!!

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Ah yes the suck it up and play thread... Truer words were never spoken. this batch of knuckel heads really need to see this!

ahhh thanks for bringing that back, that was a great post

now if only we could get a copy snuck into the kings locker room to post on the bulletin board :D