Steve Kerr Has Done it Again

Well, he has done it again. Suprisingly, he is on a roll beinh comfident with the Kings lately. He posted the winners and losers of the deals, and he put Philly in the loser column and Sacramento in the Winner column. I will post the website but will only show the Sacramento and Philly part.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBqdGgyMXV0BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwNlY2w-?slug=sk-tradeswinners022505&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Sacramento Kings: The more I see general manager Geoff Petrie's moves, the more respect I have for him. Dealing Webber at the deadline and Doug Christie earlier from a veteran team must have been difficult. But he realized the Kings were no longer championship contenders and that the deal with the Sixers was his best chance to move Webber's outlandish contract. The Kings now have three power forwards to replace Webber, each of whom will be easier to move individually in separate deals if Petrie choose to do so. The Kings still have the nucleus of Mike Bibby, Brad Miller, Peja Stojakovic and Cuttino Mobley, and now they don't have Webber's contract hanging over their heads. Petrie has at least put them in a position to move forward again.

Philadelphia 76ers: The Sixers look like big winners, with Chris Webber teaming up with Allen Iverson for the stretch run. And indeed, this trade might get them into the playoffs this season. But what happens two years from now when Webber is taking up half of Philadelphia's salary cap while running on one leg? Remember, both Webber and Iverson are not only max players, but they are also veteran max players. That means their max contracts are higher than those of young stars because of the league's sliding scale that rewards years of service. In two years Iverson and Webber will both be earning more than $20 million per season. In order for this trade to pay off, Webber has to make Philly a contender for the Eastern Conference championship, and frankly, I think Miami and Detroit are still much better than the Sixers. If Philly loses in the first round of the playoffs, then what? Webber isn't getting any younger.

Last edited:
Bballking, The Chicago Tribune has us also listed as Winners, as well as Philly. I think its sinking in a bit. Its a wait-and-see matter though.

Winners:

Philadelphia 76ers. Wednesday's late deal for Webber gives them scoring help for Allen Iverson. On Thursday they added Rogers, a favorite of coach Jim O'Brien from their Boston days and another perimeter threat. The Webber deal cost them depth (Williamson and Kenny Thomas), the Rogers deal money. They took on inactive Jamal Mashburn, whose contract runs through next season. But they're out from under Robinson, who goes to the Hornets.

It's a nice short-term move for the 76ers, but Webber is owed more than $60 million for the next three seasons. And, like Iverson, he's a strong personality who likes to monopolize the ball and the team. There's potential for fireworks. The 76ers play the Kings on Saturday.

Sacramento Kings. They gave up Webber, the best player in all the deals, but there's that addition-by-subtraction thing. With Webber the Kings were 38-31 the last two regular seasons. Without him they were 51-16. Team insiders say Webber's return slowed down the Kings last season after they had been in first place much of the season, and he was overly critical of certain teammates, most notably Peja Stojakovic.

The Kings are a different team with Vlade Divac and Doug Christie gone and Bobby Jackson hurt again. They want to build around Stojakovic, Mike Bibby and Brad Miller without Webber dominating things. Thomas and Williamson are role players who should help.

Last edited:
PFFFT!! said:
Bballking, The Chicago Tribune has us also listed as Winners, as well as Philly. I think its sinking in a bit. Its a wait-and-see matter though.
I understand that. But the point is...........is that the article is from Steve Kerr!!!

I agree with what he said about Philly, the contract and all. Long term for Philly, it's going to be tough. But that's for Philly to worry about.

Bballkingsrock said:
I understand that. But the point is...........is that the article is from Steve Kerr!!!
Ah, ok, I thought I'd add the Tribune comment above for all to see as well. Its good to add positives at least. Get fans a little motivated.

Steve Keer says something i agree with? Steve Keer says something pro kings? what has the world come too? haha, whats next Chad Ford says something worthwhile?!?!?

^hey is your username true...are you actually a Kings and a Lakers fan?

cuz as far as im concerned thats almost like being both a Yankees fan and a Red Sox fan (ALMOST)

hehehehehe

PFFFT!! said:
Ah, ok, I thought I'd add the Tribune comment above for all to see as well. Its good to add positives at least. Get fans a little motivated.
Yes, please post it...unless it's posted elsewhere already. :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Oh crap! Now that just CONFIRMS we are screwed. :p

If Bill Walton announces that it was good for the Kings too we might as well just close up shop and leave. ;)

iheartBrad said:

cuz as far as im concerned thats almost like being both a Yankees fan and a Red Sox fan (ALMOST)

hehehehehe
Yea, its true, i'm ashmed as the rest of you, but i love the lakers as much as i love the kings. Wait thats not so true, cuz i cheer every time for the kings when they play the lakers, and offically dislike horry for doing the-thing-that-must-never-be-said ;) but hey, how can you dislike a team with Valde on it!

i still don't see how its humanly possible Kings-Lakers-Fan...but i guess you manage to juggle the two...how i don't know...but you manage...hehehe

Kings-Lakers-Fan said:
Steve Keer says something i agree with? Steve Keer says something pro kings? what has the world come too? haha, whats next Chad Ford says something worthwhile?!?!?
Steve Kerr has never been anti-Kings, just a Spurs homer, so this isn't suprising. As for Chad Ford saying something worthwhile...I'm pretty sure that would be the :eek: Seventh Sign of the Apocalypse! :eek:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Oh crap! Now that just CONFIRMS we are screwed. :p

If Bill Walton announces that it was good for the Kings too we might as well just close up shop and leave. ;)
I do not think that Walton is aware of the trade yet;)

A

AriesMar27

iheartBrad said:
i still don't see how its humanly possible Kings-Lakers-Fan...but i guess you manage to juggle the two...how i don't know...but you manage...hehehe
thats like being half jewish and half christian... how can you believe in jesus and not believe in him at the same time?:confused:

iheartBrad said:
I keep expecting him to implode. How can he survive such polarized forces? His existence makes me question the laws of physics.

iheartBrad said:

hehehehehe
hahaha. i was going to say the same thing.:D

For everyone out there, discussing my name/avatar is actually the least of our buisness. Just get back at talking about this thread :D (just PM if your VERY angry at the name *cough* Piksi *cough*) ;)

piksi said:
I do not think that Walton is aware of the trade yet;)
I am a new member and have just been reading all the posts, but when I read this had to post 'cause I'm ROFLMAO. You're so right. But I think I would really drop dead if Charles Barkley ever said anything positive about the Kings :eek: