Spurs Sign Big Dog

geez.... talk about the rich getting richer (eventhough his value has dropped significantly since his Milwaukee days). Why wasn't he picked earlier by other teams?

KingKong said:
geez.... talk about the rich getting richer (eventhough his value has dropped significantly since his Milwaukee days). Why wasn't he picked earlier by other teams?
Exactly the point!

Also, can he be on the playoff roster?

KingKong said:
Because he sucks....

Big Dog..more like Small Dog! He didn't do a damn thing in Philly..and I'm talking about when he WAS healthy! ::shakes head and rolls eyes:: There was so much talk about him how he's gonna make Sixers so much better and he did absolutely nothing! Don't know what he's going to do with the Spurs..but then again he may have the best season of his career there cause it seems whenever people leave the Sixers they always tend to do very well. So hey, this may be a very good thing for the Spurs in their time of need without Duncan..we shall see

ImaDougaholic24_7 said:
Big Dog..more like Small Dog! He didn't do a damn thing in Philly..and I'm talking about when he WAS healthy! ::shakes head and rolls eyes:: There was so much talk about him how he's gonna make Sixers so much better and he did absolutely nothing! Don't know what he's going to do with the Spurs..but then again he may have the best season of his career there cause it seems whenever people leave the Sixers they always tend to do very well. So hey, this may be a very good thing for the Spurs in their time of need without Duncan..we shall see
I say the Big Dog says in the doghouse. No way he gets more than 5 mins of PT.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Not being productive in Philadelphia should hardly be an indictment on Robinson; just look at the scoring averages of Stackhouse, Hughes, Van Horn and Webber in Philadelphia, compared to their scoring averages elsewhere. I'd attribute his lack of production in Philiadelphia more to Iverson, and his inability to be compatible with any other offensive player.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Not being productive in Philadelphia should hardly be an indictment on Robinson; just look at the scoring averages of Stackhouse, Hughes, Van Horn and Webber in Philadelphia, compared to their scoring averages elsewhere. I'd attribute his lack of production in Philiadelphia more to Iverson, and his inability to be compatible with any other offensive player.
You make a good point, but I'd attribute it more to Glenn Robinson's being over the hill as a scorer.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Perhaps over the hill as a primary option -- but from the Spurs perspective they just added a ton of punch off the bench. Assuming the knees are remotely helathy, and I think they have to be at least ok or the Spurs wouldn't have done this, how many more potent bench scorers are you going to find out there?

Given my assessment of our chances this year, I don't think it really matters to us. Just a championship caliber team making one of those little moves to get an extra push in the playoffs. Similar to Miami picking up Steve Smith, Phoenix picking up JJ etc. You can tell the teams that are close + can smell it.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Am I the only one that sees this as good sign? When was the last time a team signed a guy they did NOT plan to use in the play offs this late in the season? I stongly suspect that this is clear sign that Duncan is worse that questionable.

HndsmCelt said:
Am I the only one that sees this as good sign? When was the last time a team signed a guy they did NOT plan to use in the play offs this late in the season? I stongly suspect that this is clear sign that Duncan is worse that questionable.
Not really. Look at Zo why would Zo Back up Shaq if he not hurt right now.

According to Pop he's very worried that Devin Brown might be done for the year with his back injury so Spurs are looking to replace some of Brown's scoring. Pop doesn't see any risk in the move and possible reward.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
HndsmCelt said:
I think your right. Something is seriously wrong here, just doesn't add up.

if he's a low risk, high reward pickup, & if most of you think this was a god move for the Spurs, then why didn't our Kings sign him after he was officially a FA? coz he doesn't fit our style or would make us worse? why?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
C4 said:
if he's a low risk, high reward pickup, & if most of you think this was a god move for the Spurs, then why didn't our Kings sign him after he was officially a FA? coz he doesn't fit our style or would make us worse? why?
1) The Spurs have an opening on their roster, we really don't. If/when our guys come back, we're already going to have quality players squeezed for minutes off the bench.

2) This is the sort of move you make when you're trying to seriously add a final piece to achampionship puzzle. You rarely see also ran teams loading up on players like that so that maybe they can make the second round.

Unless Brick, like Hndsm says, Duncan is a lot worse than the Spurs are letting on. In which case Big Dog is filler in hopes they can keep going until Timmy gets back.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
lala2pretty2005 said:
Not really. Look at Zo why would Zo Back up Shaq if he not hurt right now.
first Zo was signed liked a month ago. More importantly the Heat had no legit back up for Shaq... Zo is more than insurance for them. Some how I don't see the Big Dog as areplacement for an ineffective Bob Horry. On the other hand when you options are Doleac and Wang Zhizhi...

HndsmCelt said:
first Zo was signed liked a month ago. More importantly the Heat had no legit back up for Shaq... Zo is more than insurance for them. Some how I don't see the Big Dog as areplacement for an ineffective Bob Horry. On the other hand when you options are Doleac and Wang Zhizhi...
Even tho Zo sign last month, he still ain't doing nothing.

Bricklayer said:
Perhaps over the hill as a primary option -- but from the Spurs perspective they just added a ton of punch off the bench. Assuming the knees are remotely helathy, and I think they have to be at least ok or the Spurs wouldn't have done this, how many more potent bench scorers are you going to find out there?
Theoretically, they added scoring. Theoretically, the Kings are better without Chris Webber than they are with him.

However, Glenn Robinson isn't a "jump off the bench and hit open shots" type of player. That's what the Spurs are hoping he can be, and I doubt it happens. In his prime, he was always a 35 minute, 18 shots per game type of player, not a 15 minute, 6 shots per game type of player. Can he hit open shots? Of course, but that's not a role that a life-long starter/gunner can easily step into.

He played well off the bench last night (3-4 from the field in 13 minutes, and even registered a block; 4 fouls, though?), but I just don't see that being a role that he's comfortable in, especially in the playoffs.