Sonics' Allen, Bowen to renew heated rivalry

Bowen's challenge: Slow down Allen

SEATTLE (AP) -- Ray Allen took a seat on a water bucket after practice Thursday, and it wasn't long before he was asked about Bruce Bowen.

"It's going to be a key matchup, definitely," Allen said as the Seattle SuperSonics prepared to play the San Antonio Spurs.

But it's actually so much more.

Making the showdown between one of the NBA's best shooters and best defenders even more interesting is Allen's distaste for Bowen, a former friend.

The Western Conference semifinal series starts Sunday in San Antonio.

Allen averaged 32.4 points as the Seattle SuperSonics eliminated Sacramento in five games, but Bowen has been the one defender who most flummoxes Seattle's five-time All-Star guard. He stays on Allen's hip every time they play, needling him.

"It's the stuff he does that referees don't see," Allen said. "He pulls on you. He grabs you. He hits your elbow when you shoot. When you go to the basket, he'll shove you and then he'll fall.

"Just stuff like that that's real annoying. That's not really basketball."

Bowen has always maintained he's simply doing his job by stopping the other team's best offensive player. He's been named to the NBA's last four All-Defensive Teams, and a fifth appearance should be a lock when the award is announced next week.

"They have one of the hottest players in the league right now with Ray Allen," Bowen said after the Spurs eliminated Denver on Wednesday. "We will have to come up with a good game plan to stop them."

Bowen has done it before.

After an especially frustrating 3-for-12 shooting performance against the Spurs in February 2004, Allen was angry in the locker room. He said he wanted to fight Bowen and accused him of playing "sissy basketball."

The last time they squared off, a win by the Spurs on March 30, Allen iced his thumb afterward and implied Bowen had injured him during a 6-for-17 night. But for Seattle to advance, Allen knows he'll just have to ignore his nemesis.

"Oddly enough, Bruce used to be a good friend of mine -- used to be," Allen said. "We used to hang out in the summertime until he started playing a new brand of basketball."

Sonics coach Nate McMillan has no concerns about the matchup getting ugly. He praised Bowen's aggression and ability to avoid screens.

"Ray will be OK," McMillan said. "Ray has played against him a number of times and knows what he wants to do. And we know what we've got to do. We've got to set screens. We've got to get him open, just as we did in this last series."

Allen has momentum. He scored 75 points and shot 60 percent from the field over the final two games against Sacramento, which included a 45-point effort on the road in Game 4.

"He's the guy," San Antonio's Manu Ginobili said. "He's playing great right now. We're going to have to take care of him and guard him tough. Bruce will be guarding him, but it will have to be a team effort."

The Spurs are certain to gear their defense to stop Allen, much as they did against Carmelo Anthony in the first round.

"I don't foresee it being as easy as it was before," Allen said. "We're going to have to work."

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

now it looks like it will be Allen and the Sonics who will be complaining about the officiating. how the tables have turned!! I am rooting for the Spurs in this series.

"I don't foresee it being as easy as it was before," Allen said. "We're going to have to work."

Wonder if thats a stab at the Kings. hmm

F

Fillmoe

Bibby_10 said:

nah, not really..... but what he said was true! they took us out in 5 when the series was expected to go the distance

Bibby_10 said:

I would take it that way. while its true that they will have to work harder against the Spurs, i think its rather cocky of Allen to say something like that. the more articles i read the more i am REALLY starting to dislike the cast of the Sonics.

atxrocker said:
I would take it that way. while its true that they will have to work harder against the Spurs, i think its rather cocky of Allen to say something like that. the more articles i read the more i am REALLY starting to dislike the cast of the Sonics.
You can hate them, but what he said is true. The way we played defense, we're basically have a sign that say "open. score here".

ray this year has shot better against the spurs than his season average. Bowen doesn't bother me when guarding Ray. He will make life tough on him but he won't stop him. Ray is too good of a scorer to be stopped. The Spurs need to find a way to stop lew and vlad. That will be their main problem in this series. how our big's do will also be key.

After an especially frustrating 3-for-12 shooting performance against the Spurs in February 2004, Allen was angry in the locker room. He said he wanted to fight Bowen and accused him of playing "sissy basketball."

ray 34, this would contradict your ray does better against the spurs theory unfortunately. while it may be statistically true, it seems he has his on/off games. when he is off,he is way off and a poor sportsman at that. some lines from espn's daily dime

"Six weeks ago, the Spurs beat the Sonics 89-76. At one point, Allen and Bowen squared off and were separated. Then they got tangled up again and Allen was called for an offensive foul.

After the game, Allen said: "He doesn't play basketball. I don't know what he does. They put him out there to throw punches and throw elbows. That is not basketball out there, what he plays."

Bowen replied: "I've heard so much, but I've never heard the great ones say anything like that. You never heard Michael Jordan say, 'Oh, John Starks doesn't play basketball.' John Starks may have been physical with him -- and what did he do? He went and hit the gym hard and continued to play."

it looks as though Bowen may succeed in getting under Allens skin quite easiliy. btw, i think bowen would take allen if they ever fought.also, the things allen said about punches and elbows sound familiar to alot of the role players on the seattle crew.

atxrocker said:

ray 34, this would contradict your ray does better against the spurs theory unfortunately. while it may be statistically true, it seems he has his on/off games. when he is off,he is way off and a poor sportsman at that. some lines from espn's daily dime

"Six weeks ago, the Spurs beat the Sonics 89-76. At one point, Allen and Bowen squared off and were separated. Then they got tangled up again and Allen was called for an offensive foul.

After the game, Allen said: "He doesn't play basketball. I don't know what he does. They put him out there to throw punches and throw elbows. That is not basketball out there, what he plays."

Bowen replied: "I've heard so much, but I've never heard the great ones say anything like that. You never heard Michael Jordan say, 'Oh, John Starks doesn't play basketball.' John Starks may have been physical with him -- and what did he do? He went and hit the gym hard and continued to play."

it looks as though Bowen may succeed in getting under Allens skin quite easiliy. btw, i think bowen would take allen if they ever fought.also, the things allen said about punches and elbows sound familiar to alot of the role players on the seattle crew.
you fail to mention the other two meetings where Ray went off and shot the ball very well against him. The meeting you are talking about Ray had to face the spurs without lewis,radman and a few others so he had to shoulder more of the offensive weight. With lewis around he wouldn't of had to take on all the shots.

it's clear they don't like each other and bowen can get into ray's head but ray is normally very consistant against him. ray allen is not the concern for the sonics here it is what the other guys bring or not bring.

"It's the stuff he does that referees don't see," Allen said. "He pulls on you. He grabs you. He hits your elbow when you shoot. When you go to the basket, he'll shove you and then he'll fall.
translation: waaaah waaaah waaaah

He is already crying....jeez .He will be exposed against the spurs....he will fold like a cheap suit. Ray is a soft finesse player...he hates when you play physical with him.

Spurs in 4..

please

ray is one of the best guard performers in the playoffs, there is nothing soft about his game. The Sonics match up great with the spurs. We will win 2 games...we will not get swept. we have played them too well and had too good of a season to get beaten up.

The closer that Bowen holds Allen to a shot a point the better the job he's done and the better the chances the Spurs win the game and sereis. If Allen scores 25 but it takes nearly 25 shots Bowen did his job.

Should be an interestng series.

LPKingsFan said:
Ray Allen is a class act. Do all of you guys hate the Sonics now just because they outplayed us?
Actually I had respect for the Sonics, somewhat, until I heard some of the comments and antics made by their players after they beat us. They acted like a bunch of children. The only respectable player on their team is Nick Collison.