Silver Stars Sign Restricted Free Agent Buescher

Erin is a restricted free agent. This means the Monarchs have 10 days to make a counter-offer and sign Erin. If they don't, then Erin is gone.

So, Erin's not necessarily gone to the Silver Stars just yet. We will just have to wait for Whisenant's response.

You might remember that a similar situation happened to DeMya Walker two years ago. At the time, the PHX Mercury made an offer for DeMya, but the Monarchs matched (or improved) the offer, and signed DeMya.

I think DeMya was much more of a sure thing. There was no way Whiz was going to let her go to Phoenix (or anyone else for that matter). Erin is much more of a question mark, especially after the trade for Williams. I'd love for Whiz to match and bring her back, but I thought the trade for Williams was a sign of something... either Yo had decided not to return, or Erin wasn't coming back.

But the article says "signed" instead of "made offer." Rather confusing IMHO...
Since she's a restricted free agent she has essentially signed an "offer sheet" from SASS. The M's have 10 days to match, if they don't... she's a Silver Star.

I think Whiz should match, but she might be a cap casualty. We don't get the luxury of knowing how much SASS offered her, but Whiz is trying to bring everyone back and we still have Maiga, Penicheiro, and Griffith that aren't under contract. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ah, gotcha.

I'll really hate to see her leave. She has the heart and hustle attitude and ability to pick herself up even after some nasty fouls and just keep playing... It's a nice asset for any team to have someone like her on their roster.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
We were talking about this the other day. Whiz is a defense first guy. Because of the addition of Williams, I think he will let Erin go. I don't like it, but I will not be surprised. If Yo says she is not returning in the next 10 days, then he matches. I don't expect that to happen.

Well, the ten days has passed and the Monarchs didn't counter-offer to get Erin back. :(

We Monarchs fans will miss you, Erin. Good luck to you with the Silver Stars!

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...MYSA030707.08C.BKLstars.buescher.3bbeadf.html

BASKETBALL: BUESCHER JOINS SILVER STARS

[SIZE=-1]Web Posted: 03/07/2007 02:54 AM CST

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
San Antonio Express-News
[/SIZE]

The Silver Stars acquired restricted free agent Erin Buescher from Sacramento. The team made an offer to Buescher 10 days ago. Sacramento had that time period to match the Silver Stars' offer but chose not to.

Buescher, a 6-foot-3 forward, averaged 9.7 points and 3.9 rebounds last season and was named the WNBA's most improved player.

Also, Detroit signed point guard Shannon Johnson to a free-agent contract. Johnson was an unrestricted free agent.

The Silver Stars selected point guard Helen Darling in the dispersal draft in January.

- Natalie England

:( Thank you Erin for being so much fun to watch and for playing your heart out every minute of every game. Monarchs fans are going to miss you, but I certainly wish you all the best.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!

Erin, we knew you/loved you/miss you. Now she's got a whole 'nother arena to brighten with that smile....