Shumpert v. Nurkic (split)

Perfect fake tough guy act knowing he ain’t getting close to Nurkic. Nurkic would beat the living crap out of Shumpert man
Basketball is mental warfare. There is a certain amount of animosity that exists for most players right below the surface. Fights don't break out that often, partly because players are big strong humans that can really hurt each other. (Rudy T) But they spar around sometimes and have emotional disagreements especially when blatant breaking of the unwritten rules are involved. There are some subtlties that seem to be lost on some members of this forum. It is much like deer or elk locking antlers and pushing each other around.

Thanks to jcassio and kingster and others who obviously understand what happened.

It was a bit of a dirty screen and at the time and shortly thereafter Shumpert had the right to be upset. Still harping about it after the game was unnecessary and going to Portland's locker room was very unnecessary. You got the win and made your point during the game let it go.

I like that Shumpert plays with an edge and he's absolutely been helpful to this young team in that regard. However it's also a fine and Shumpert does seem to do a lot of this barking for show. For a guy that is a role-player at best, Shump is a bit too into himself (case in point shot selection lately).

He did not go into Portland’s locker room. He waited outside to speak with Nurkic. Shump handled this whole episode very well. If you think someone is doing something on court that can hurt you - you need to tell them to knock it off.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We're halfway through the season and Bjelica hasn't even put anyone in a headlock.
It's interesting. Bjelica seems motivated when it comes to his personal beefs, but from what I've seen not too interested about coming to the aid of teammates. I don't recall one situation this year where a teammate really came to the aid of another, nor last year for that matter.

Methinks the fans who don't like Shump's behavior are likely the ones who never played competitive basketball. It's not the nice game you think it is. You either push back, or you get bullied. Shump didn't take a swing at anyone. He was sending a message. Good for him. Good for his teammates.
I remember once in HS my teammate was at the FT line for a 1 & 1. A player on the other team was used to bullying players to intimidate them. His problem was that I don't get intimidated. On the 1st FT he comes at me hard throwing his elbow into my mid section. I simply looked back at him & smiled. I then made eye contract with the ref who noticed the tale end of the exchange. On the 2nd FT, I was ready when he came at me. I had my left arm down to block his elbow and stepped into him as he was hitting me. The result was that he ended up on the ground and I ended up on the FT line. Needless to say, but he didn't try anything the rest of the game.

Thanks to Telemachus. You get it. I bet you have 15 more incidents like this you could remember.
People get hurt enough playing basketball without players doing things on purpose.
Even in rec leagues things happen. I collided with a guy and caught him with an elbow. Next time we played his team, he was in street clothes. He said "your elbow broke my ribs." He said it with no animosity because he realized the play was clean. I apologized for injuring him and he accepted.

This is quite different compared to someone getting hurt by a flagrant foul. One night after a basketball game with our arch rival, a guy was knifed in the parking lot because he committed a dirty foul on an opposing player.

Thanks to Telemachus. You get it. I bet you have 15 more incidents like this you could remember.
People get hurt enough playing basketball without players doing things on purpose.
Even in rec leagues things happen. I collided with a guy and caught him with an elbow. Next time we played his team, he was in street clothes. He said "your elbow broke my ribs." He said it with no animosity because he realized the play was clean. I apologized for injuring him and he accepted.

This is quite different compared to someone getting hurt by a flagrant foul. One night after a basketball game with our arch rival, a guy was knifed in the parking lot because he committed a dirty foul on an opposing player.
Yes, I could. I was the guy who would take a charge from the guy coming at full speed (who also out weighed me by 50 lbs.). People would always ask me, doesn't that hurt? I would respond with, it hurts more to land on your knees than on your butt. You take that change at the beginning of the game and they think twice about for the rest of the game.

Obviously, sometimes you have to handle things in a different way. Had another game where the team would go to box out the shooter BEFORE he hit the ground. That is a good way to blow out someone's knees. As the team captain, I quickly had a conversation where I brought it to the attention of the ref. After he saw it, he put a stop to it. Afterall, sports are supposed to be fun.

Players get fouled all the time and we sometimes see a blatant foul. We have all seen many worse and he should of been called at least for a moving screen especially after a player gets hit and dropped like that.

I am sure it wasn’t the first time he’s been hit and with this season going along well in regards to his health I am sure he wasn’t happy. But I believe what did not settle well with him must of been the exchanges between himself and evidently several people on the Portland side.

I remember the Doug and Jackie versus Fox was much more interesting

I think what Shumpert was doing was trying to protect Fox. I base this only on my own opinion. The past couple weeks, Fox has been killed with hard (blatantly over aggressive screens). I am surprised he hasn't been hurt by some of them. What Shumpert did will likey draw attention to this in upcoming games (I hope so, anyway). Maybe I am giving him too much credit, but that is a guess on my part.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think what Shumpert was doing was trying to protect Fox. I base this only on my own opinion. The past couple weeks, Fox has been killed with hard (blatantly over aggressive screens). I am surprised he hasn't been hurt by some of them. What Shumpert did will likey draw attention to this in upcoming games (I hope so, anyway). Maybe I am giving him too much credit, but that is a guess on my part.
I think you're right. It strikes me that Shumpert is just that kind of veteran.

I think you're right. It strikes me that Shumpert is just that kind of veteran.
I love Shump, but I don't think that is the reason. Otherwise he would do it on one of the multiple times Fox got busted on screens over mutliple games, he would not wait until he himself got hit to then go and protect Fox.

Shumpert should stop jacking up shots like he's a good shooter on the team lol. I know he's a vet but that doesn't give him the right to jack up shots like it's nobody's business. I thought being a leader...you should take smart shots. Well, some of the shots he took are anything but smart.