Shumpert v. Nurkic (split)

I don't give two hoots about the twitter apology but I effing love that we have a MAN on this team that can say this:

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Kings guard Iman Shumpert was stopped from going into the Portland locker room by arena and Trail Blazers security after Sacramento's 115-107 victory Monday night.

Shumpert apparently was angry at Blazers center Jusuf Nurkic, who set a hard screen in the second half.

"Some stuff needed to be between me and him, a conversation between two men," Shumpert said. "Some stuff happened out there that we needed to have a conversation about. That's it."

Nurkic shrugged it off.

"I'm not going to worry about it," he said. "He's going into retirement soon. I'm not going to worry about a guy who's going into retirement soon."

After the game, Shumpert apologized via Twitter.

---

I'm sorry but ladies and gentlemen there's your leader. Picture perfect, that's what a leader does. Integrity. Standing up for your self, and by extension, your team. Guys will now know Shump has their back. Great move. GREAT. The Blazers will never win another game against us as long as Shump is on the team. As far as I'm concerned, he just earned getting resigned. (He already had, but this seals it. He can be out 8th/9th man, I don't care, I want him on our team and you should too.)

Yea I was reading about that on the Blazers subreddit. Apparently he had some sort of beef with Nurkic? Bizarre.
Not bizarre at all. Did you see the play in question? Nurkic leaned his shoulder out and caught Shump under the chin. It should have been called an offensive foul and if they had reviewed, possibly even flagrant. It was certainly un-necessary contact.

"Some stuff needed to be between me and him, a conversation between two men," Shumpert said. "Some stuff happened out there that we needed to have a conversation about. That's it."
If I was Iman, I'd be upset too. There's no place for that. Nurkic's attitude after the fact shows that he's just being a punk.

I just realized Nurkic said "He's going into retirement soon. I'm not worried about a guy going into retirement" hahahahaha!
Exhibit A of being a punk. No accountability or sorry after. Instead, just a passive aggressive comment. I hope Iman pays him back in spades.

The best part of that comment IMO is that Iman is only 4 years older. I guess Nurkic thinks he's close to retirement soon himself. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bizarre at all. Did you see the play in question? Nurkic leaned his shoulder out and caught Shump under the chin. It should have been called an offensive foul and if they had reviewed, possibly even flagrant. It was certainly un-necessary contact.

If I was Iman, I'd be upset too. There's no place for that. Nurkic's attitude after the fact shows that he's just being a punk.

Exhibit A of being a punk. No accountability or sorry after. Instead, just a passive aggressive comment. He's a douche. I hope Iman pays him back in spades.

The best part of that comment IMO is that Iman is only 4 years older. I guess Nurkic thinks he's close to retirement soon himself. ;)
Nurkic and the Blazers just earned themselves a career worth of payback. If they think we or Shump will forget about that, or the comments, they are sorely mistaken. Resign Shump and never lose to the Blazers again.

I think Nurkic is still hurt from getting dominated by his fellow countryman Jokic the other night. He got abused by his former teammate, the same guy who won the starting spot in Denver that made Nurkic pack his bags.
You would have thought he would have been a bit more humble tonight? I do like Nurkic but he is a good player and a decent troll he trolled Denver bigtime after they beat them near the end of the season in a pivotal game he also trolled Marc Gasol/Cousins as a youngin he does bring entertainment I would have him on the Kings at his salary anyday.

I think Nurkic is still hurt from getting dominated by his fellow countryman Jokic the other night. He got abused by his former teammate, the same guy who won the starting spot in Denver that made Nurkic pack his bags.
Good insight. He's hurting emotionally. No excuse for his douchebaggery -- and I rewatched the play... dirty and total shoulder check. Regardless he's earned a spot on the bulletin board.

Great win. I would like to call out the improving Kings' defense. The team is still playing offense at a fast pace with a lot of possessions and ups and downs. But the last two games the Kings have held their competition to around 100 points. A fast paced offense that scores a lot in transition, can score in the paint, scores off turnovers and can make 3s can be very impressive. But a team that can do that and play defense, is a really good team. The last two wins are two of my favorites of the whole season.

Nurkic shredded the Kings last time out. He got 6 points last night. That is some good defense and good coaching. Willie played well for the most part.

The bench is now an exciting bunch to watch. Guys with a hot hand get to stay on the floor. When a team has 10 players to go to with confidence, it is pretty easy to find someone who can hit shots. Giles, Bagley and Yogi bring a lot of energy. Jackson is playing some serious defense and is hitting shots. Bogdan is a very skilled player. He still dribbles too much and makes some bad passes, but he can play.

This Shumpert business with Nurkic is easy to ignore. But to me it is important. There are plenty of unwritten rules in the NBA. Some things are tolerated like traveling and double dribbles. Moving screens are getting pretty loose. But there are some things you do not do. Like submarining a guy in the air. The way some people set screens is just not right. Shumpert had a legitimate point last night, and he is the enforcer on this team. It limits what the other teams think they can get away with. When Cousins left and Randolph sat, there was a void on the team. Shumpert fills that role. Do not under estimate the positive effect he has on the team. Some nights he should shoot less.

They’re both Balkan, but not countrymen. Nurkić is Bosnian, Jokić is Serbian.

Last edited:
They’re both Balkan, but not countrymen. Nurkić is Bosnian, Jokić is Serbian.
Yea, I know. My girlfriend is Bosnian. Her parents took her and fled during wartime. The relationship between all the Balkan countries is still tenuous for sure, so it is important to differentiate them.

Generally speaking I just meant Ex-Yugo.

Sometimes I get the idea that very few people on this forum have ever played any serious basketball before.
Shumpert did the right thing. It is very important. He stands up for his team mates.
Portland will think twice about trying any cheap shots next time.
If they are not careful they are going to receive a couple. That is what this is all about. Shumpert put them on notice.

Shump started chirping a lot at the Blazers players and bench at some point in the third, and continued for the rest of the game (even from the bench). I was there and watching a lot of it. Pretty amusing. I'm enjoying Shumpert's personality on this team. Also a big fan of Nurk, so the retirement comment is pretty funny.

Ridiculous! Just absolutely ridiculous! Just shut up and play the game already! Would ya? I mean....come on with this nonsense! Just knock it off already! This is getting out of hand! Great job by the referees as always in keeping order in this one. Now how about Lillard? What an amazing player he is!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Ridiculous! Just absolutely ridiculous! Just shut up and play the game already! Would ya? I mean....come on with this nonsense! Just knock it off already! This is getting out of hand! Great job by the referees as always in keeping order in this one. Now how about Lillard? What an amazing player he is!

that's one creepy looking dude

If it were flipped I'm pretty sure the prevailing sentiment here would be, "man who waits outside a locker room? Leave it on the floor and then be adults. This guy's so crazy. Have some class."

If it were flipped I'm pretty sure the prevailing sentiment here would be, "man who waits outside a locker room? Leave it on the floor and then be adults. This guy's so crazy. Have some class."
If one of our players threw a shoulder into an opposing players chin like Nurkic did I would be mad that our player did that.

The clip can be viewed here, cant seem to get any better video of it yet. https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/video/was-screen-jusuf-nurkic-iman-shumpert-dirty