Shaq gets 100 million and a 5 year deal!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2122716

Edited by VF21 to add text of article:

Shaq makes long-term plans in Miami

MIAMI -- Shaquille O'Neal probably left millions on the bargaining table. His biggest obsession now isn't dollars but championships.

O'Neal signed a $100 million, five-year contract with the Miami Heat on Tuesday, a deal that ensures the 12-time All-Star center plenty of added financial security while allowing the team salary flexibility to pursue other players.

He'll make $20 million in each of the next five seasons in an agreement believed to include incentives. He was to have earned $30.6 million this coming season, opting out of that deal for a longer-term pact with less money annually.

"Shaquille can name his price,'' said his agent, Perry Rogers. "And the price he named was winning.''

Rogers said O'Neal remains the player with the highest annual salary in the league.

The deal was signed shortly after the league's moratorium on player signings expired Tuesday. Signings were supposed to begin nearly two weeks ago, but minor complications in putting the new six-year collective bargaining agreement into writing forced two delays.

O'Neal, however, never looked to go elsewhere. He didn't even speak with other clubs.

"I'm very excited about my new agreement with the Heat,'' O'Neal said in a statement released by the team. "This contract allows me to address all of my family's long-term financial goals while allowing the Heat the ability to acquire those players that we need to win a championship.''

O'Neal was vacationing Tuesday in Rome. Team doctors will fly there and administer a physical Wednesday. Heat president Pat Riley said signing O'Neal was the team's top offseason priority.

"For over a year, the Heat's relationship with Shaquille has been a win-win situation on and off the court,'' Riley said. "We have been able to secure one of the most dominant men to ever play the game of basketball. ... At the same time, we have gained flexibility to achieve our ultimate goal of winning an NBA championship.''

The Heat do not want to be a luxury-tax team, and paying O'Neal $20 million annually -- a figure some could consider a bargain -- should not send Miami over the tax threshold. It also seems to ensure that Miami could use its midlevel exception annually to sign players; this year's midlevel is $5 million.

"You get paid the most, but you do it in a way that's not detrimental to what the team wants to accomplish,'' Rogers said.

The 7-foot-1, 327-pound O'Neal made an immediate impact during his first season with Miami, which acquired him in July 2004 from the Los Angeles Lakers for three players and a draft choice.

He averaged 22.9 points and 10.4 rebounds in the regular season, leading the league with a 60.1 field goal percentage. O'Neal ranked sixth in the league in blocks (2.34 a game), double-doubles (43) and rebounds.

O'Neal had previously led the Lakers to three consecutive NBA titles from 2000-2002. Even while hampered by a bruised thigh throughout the playoffs, he helped the Heat reach the Eastern Conference finals this season.

"This is one of those deals where everybody can be really proud,'' Rogers said. "In a day and age when it's only about the team using a player for the amount of time they'll think he'll be totally at his best, or a day in age when players want to get paid all they can right now, this was every party understanding the other's needs.''

Agreeing to terms with O'Neal could spark a flurry of activity by the Heat.

Miami is considering a trade that would send swingman Eddie Jones to the Memphis Grizzlies for point guard Jason Williams and small forward James Posey. Another deal could land free agent forward Antoine Walker, a three-time All-Star who averaged 19.1 points and nine rebounds last season for the Atlanta Hawks and Boston Celtics.

Danny Ainge, the Celtics' head of basketball operations, indicated Tuesday that Walker wouldn't be back with Boston. When asked if he'd be surprised to see Walker return, he said, "Yeah, I would.''

The Heat already have agreed to a five-year deal worth just more than $30 million with forward Udonis Haslem, and are awaiting decisions from backup center Alonzo Mourning, who's considering retirement, and free agent point guard Damon Jones -- whom Miami wants back.

But the O'Neal deal was the biggest part of Miami's offseason puzzle.

"It's an obscene amount of money, but he's worth it,'' Rogers said. "This team is going to do some exciting things. And there's no sense in going out and making $25 million if you're not winning championships.''

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fillmoe

dam.... he has no more than 2 years left in him..... so what do they plan on doing for the rest of the 3 years?

Just standing there, he is one of the best centers in the NBA. Is he worth 20 million this season? Better than 36 he would have made!

Guess Miamis owners really want to win huh? Not sure if Shaq has enough left in the tank, but at least they will pay to find out.

The concept of Shack, or anyone else, receiving $100M to play a stupid game is obscene. There are probably third-world nations that have gross national products lower than $100M. As an aging basketball star, Shack is paid roughly 1,000 times more than an average working person in various economically depressed regions of the United States.

How does this contribute to the well-being of others? How does this massive expenditure advance, or even help sustain, anything? This is a waste of resources.

Yes, but he EATS as much as 1000 workers in most parts of West Virginia.

You wouldn't want the poor schlock (or his family) to go hungry would you? Maybe Latrel can spare a quarter-mil here or there to take off the rough edges.

quick dog said:
The concept of Shack, or anyone else, receiving $100M to play a stupid game is obscene. There are probably third-world nations that have gross national products lower than $100M. As an aging basketball star, Shack is paid roughly 1,000 times more than an average working person in various economically depressed regions of the United States.

How does this contribute to the well-being of others? How does this massive expenditure advance, or even help sustain, anything? This is a waste of resources.
You do not want to go down this road. It will lead to a place that none of us (but Shaq) likes. That was not the reason I posted this. This was intended as an analasys of the salary cap situation as it stands and whether or not it holds up to the standards and precidents of the modern economic scene.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"I'm very excited about my new agreement with the Heat,'' O'Neal said in a statement released by the team. "This contract allows me to address all of my family's long-term financial goals while allowing the Heat the ability to acquire those players that we need to win a championship.''
Somebody pass me a bucket...

Address his family's long-term financial goals? What, to be richer than Croesus?

Shaq makes it sound like he just did the Heat a favor, instead of putting them in a situation where - if anything happens to him (remember the arthritic toes) - the whole franchise is up defecation creek without a paddle, a boat, etc.

People in LA are probably dancing in the streets.

VF21 said:
Somebody pass me a bucket...

Address his family's long-term financial goals? What, to be richer than Croesus?

Shaq makes it sound like he just did the Heat a favor,

I would call opting out of a guaranteed 30.3million for 17million a favor. It still is an insane amount of money, but nonetheless, saving the Heat 13million+ this season is a pretty nice gesture. He could of kept the 30.3 million and got an extension next summer for the same amount. He is still getting a sweet deal, don't get me wrong, but you have to admit he is helping the Heat, in the short term at least.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
C Diddy said:
I would call opting out of a guaranteed 30.3million for 17million a favor. It still is an insane amount of money, but nonetheless, saving the Heat 13million+ this season is a pretty nice gesture. He could of kept the 30.3 million and got an extension next summer for the same amount. He is still getting a sweet deal, don't get me wrong, but you have to admit he is helping the Heat, in the short term at least.
The length of the deal is I think what is being disputed. I mean, do you really see Shaq playing for the next 5 years! He retires and his deal remains on the books.

Sure he had a 30 mil. for next season, but he just traded it in for 100 mil.

this shaq deal could potentially make the webber deal look like peanuts if he goes down cuz of toe problems or knee problems (God forbid! ;) ).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SacTownKid said:
Sure he had a 30 mil. for next season, but he just traded it in for 100 mil.
Why, bless his heart. He did it all just for the good of the team.

And my name is Amelia Earhart.

jacobdrj said:
You do not want to go down this road. It will lead to a place that none of us (but Shaq) likes. That was not the reason I posted this. This was intended as an analasys of the salary cap situation as it stands and whether or not it holds up to the standards and precidents of the modern economic scene.
Sorry, I apparently had difficulty ignoring a 1,000-pound, loud-mouthed, elephant sitting on a brown plaid sofa in the living room.

I think this is his 3rd 100 million contract. His first was for 44, the Lakers signed him for 120 iirc. Then he got a 100 mill in 2000 or 2001 and now this one. He's easily the highest paid player in league history salary wise.

i agree quick dog and VF21. it's ridiculous how much money's he's making. maybe he wants to buy an island???? an NBA franchise ( i know i would, if i were a billionaire, i would buy the kings :D)

i was watching sportscenter, they said all of shaq's contract's combined, he has made 290 million dollars. two hundred and ****** million dollars. are you seriously kidding me?!?!?! not to mention how much money he's made on endoursments..... how does one spend that kind of money???

i certainly hope millions are going to charity :)

VF21 said:
People in LA are probably dancing in the streets.
I'm not in LA, but...I'm glad Miami is paying for his Krispy Kremes instead of the Lakers. ;)

"He could of kept the 30.3 million and got an extension next summer for the same amount. "

Doubt he would have got the same amount after next season. He wanted to sign his last big payday right now...before another year of decline is seen by Riles and everyone else.

Last edited:
The last contract COULDN'T have been worth 100 million: He just opted out of 32 million of it, so the contract was actualy worth 66 million. This new contract will be his last BIG payday, but don't count out his desire to play, he might get the MLE in 2010.

Shaq's real desire to play just went down a notch or 2..he got his overinflated contract. I'm sure he'll go back to his "conditioning" in the offseason prior to last year.

Last edited:
I am no Shaq fan by any means, but I think there is was more of a revenge factor last season with Kobe. But I agree, I think he has proven what he needs to prove, and he will not be nearly as driven as this past season. I mean, he was beat twice in a row by the same team! Thats got to hurt.