Sam Amick: One of the gang now

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
New Kings coach Eric Musselman is settling in to his new city after signing a three-year deal.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14263958p-15076773c.html

Four months.

The product can't be revealed until then, when the Kings finally tip off in October and new coach Eric Musselman plans to prove that his new bosses made the right call in his hiring. Such as it was, Musselman began the off-the-court portion of his new job Saturday afternoon at Arden Fair Mall, playing the part of a seasoned politician and willing community member for some 1,500 fans who came to welcome him.

He signed autographs, took pictures and made small talk until the line of fans dwindled before he finally left. Just before the end, a woman asked him to sign her dollar bill.

"Can I keep it?" Musselman joked, to which she replied, "Oh, I know you don't need it."

The woman couldn't have been more right. At 10 a.m. Saturday morning, Musselman and Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie inked a three-year deal worth more than $7 million, according to team co-owner Joe Maloof. There is also a team option for a fourth year that could push the total to more than $10 million.

Hours later, the man who made his way through nearly every forum of professional basketball and is back for his second NBA head-coaching job spoke for the first time about how he plans to earn his dough in Sacramento.

"The thing about people who rise up through the minor leagues, the Phil Jacksons, the George Karls and the Flip Saunders, is that when you're used to fluctuating rosters, then your style has to fluctuate," said Musselman, the former Memphis assistant and Golden State head coach, who spent seven seasons as a CBA head coach.

"Obviously, we're going to focus and put a heavy emphasis on our defense, and we still want to score points because you can't win unless you score. So we'll have it as good as we can get it once training camp's over. We want to win right out of the gate."

And for all the talk of defense, which was the indisputable platform on which this coaching search was based, Musselman brings a blend that complements the defense-obsessed Maloofs and offensive-minded Petrie.

"He's certainly among the best and the brightest," Petrie said. "He comes with a defensive mindset, but he's proved that he's not afraid to juice his offense. And I think when you look at going forward and trying to improve your team, both of those things are important."

Mostly, though, the Kings' brass believes its franchise is again harmonious because they have a coach the owners can support. In the days that followed the dismissal of Rick Adelman, the lack of a relationship between the former coach and the Maloofs became clear. As if on cue, Musselman wasted no time in addressing that topic.

"I look forward to being able to pick up the phone and call them, or they can call me with questions," Musselman said. "Hopefully, it'll be a unique situation between coach and owner that you don't see a lot in the professional sports world."

The importance of relationships was the thesis of Musselman's first coaching speech. It was a keen approach, considering the general consensus of how and why he was fired after two seasons with the Warriors. Despite showing near-historic improvement -- the Warriors going 75-89 from 2002 to 2004 -- Musselman reportedly lost his team.

"The key is to try to touch your players every day, to try to find which buttons you can push to bring out the maximum effort and the maximum ability that they have," he said. "When (Washington guard and former Warriors player) Gilbert Arenas gives you a big hug, and whispers in your ear about what an impact you've had on his career.… The Speedy Claxtons, Brian Cardinals, Erick Dampiers. As a coach, if we can maximize each guy on our roster, and bring their value up in their own minds, I think that does nothing but benefit the organization and benefit the players."

And while Musselman has yet to meet any of his players, it appears his relationship with free-agent-to-be Bonzi Wells can't hurt the Kings' chances of holding onto the shooting guard.

While Wells' Memphis stay ended in 2005 with a one-game playoff suspension issued by coach Mike Fratello, Musselman said he and Wells had a solid relationship. What's more, Musselman's father, the late Bill Musselman, was an assistant coach in Portland during Wells' Trail Blazers days.

"In the summers, my dad would fly from his home in Florida to work Bonzi out in (Wells' hometown of) Muncie, Indiana, in his high school gym," Musselman said. "Because he knows my family, I feel like there's a solid bond there. There's a lot of talent in Bonzi Wells. There's no question about it."

He also coached Kings forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim in Atlanta during the 2001-2002 season.

It may have taken two interviews for Musselman to land the Kings job, but he said he thought the job was his after the first session on May 24.

"I called Lonnie Cooper, my agent (afterward)," Musselman said. "He was more excited than me, and he asked how it went. And I said, 'I got the job.' He said, 'what do you mean you got the job?' I said, 'I got the job.' "

"With Joe and Gavin and Geoff, it was just free-flowing. I didn't know when it was going to end. I got back up (after the interview), and it was three hours and something. It could've gone into the night."

But the Maloofs and Petrie weren't ready to hire him quite yet. They heightened their background check, exhausting every last resource around the league.

"I've been in the league 28 years," said vice president of basketball operations Wayne Cooper. "I know everybody."

And none of them, Cooper said, had anything bad to say about Musselman. Least of all was Grizzlies general manager Jerry West, who endorsed Musselman in multiple conversations with Petrie but was certainly disappointed to see him go. Musselman is expected to attend pre-draft camp in Orlando, Fla., with Petrie on Tuesday, with an additional side duty of finding his new staff of assistants as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really interested to see who ends up on the assistant staff. There is NO doubt that Musselman is a great salesman, or that he is an astute student of the game. His X and O acumen is tremendous. I am, however, somewhat concerned about how his intense style could potentially clash at times with some of our, um, more intense personality players (who may not WANT to be touched everyday;) ) I'm hoping at least one of the assistant coaching staff will be some sort of diplomatic type, a ruffled feather smoother, since I foresee a few of those.
Don't get me wrong, some amount of tension might be a good thing, but to blithefully ignore the fact that several of our current players have not, in the past, responded positively to similiar intense styles would be foolhardy.

I guess what I am saying is that everyone has strengths and weaknesses and I am hoping the supporting staff will be strong in the areas where Musselman is not.

Kingsgurl said:
I am, however, somewhat concerned about how his intense style could potentially clash at times with some of our, um, more intense personality players (who may not WANT to be touched everyday;) ) I'm hoping at least one of the assistant coaching staff will be some sort of diplomatic type, a ruffled feather smoother, since I foresee a few of those.
Don't get me wrong, some amount of tension might be a good thing, but to blithefully ignore the fact that several of our current players have not, in the past, responded positively to similiar intense styles would be foolhardy.
=.
word

Kingsgurl said:
I'm really interested to see who ends up on the assistant staff. There is NO doubt that Musselman is a great salesman, or that he is an astute student of the game. His X and O acumen is tremendous. I am, however, somewhat concerned about how his intense style could potentially clash at times with some of our, um, more intense personality players (who may not WANT to be touched everyday;) ) I'm hoping at least one of the assistant coaching staff will be some sort of diplomatic type, a ruffled feather smoother, since I foresee a few of those.

I guess what I am saying is that everyone has strengths and weaknesses and I am hoping the supporting staff will be strong in the areas where Musselman is not.
Well said. But I really hope that Musselman has learned from his tenure with both Golden State and Memphis, that clashing with the players is the quickest way to find yourself out of a job. The talented players always prevail. I welcome his intensity, and I hope both Artest and Musselman will channel their intensity into a winning brand of basketball. I agree though that investing in more diplomatic assistant coaches might be a good way to go in terms off smoothing over any potential tensions that may arise.

Prophetess

Gallifrayain
when he was asked about his staff he said he was going to rely on Petrie to help him with that and that they would find a good complimentary coaching staff. I feel pretty good about them being able to do exactly what you're asking for Kingsgurl.

But I really hope that Musselman has learned from his tenure with both Golden State and Memphis, that clashing with the players is the quickest way to find yourself out of a job.
Of course he has 'learned' that, but changing the way you deal with people, how you ARE in your interactions with others, especially under stress, is no easy thing to change. It's like asking someone to change their personality.

Kingsgurl said:
Of course he has 'learned' that, but changing the way you deal with people, how you ARE in your interactions with others, especially under stress, is no easy thing to change. It's like asking someone to change their personality.
Agreed. It's not easy in those circumstances, but I'm hoping he gets more out of the players with his intensity, rather than making enemies. Popovich is constantly butting heads with his players, but that's acceptable because he has gained the trust of his players and they have championship rings because of it. Musselman clashed with players in Golden State because they weren't defending or giving their all. I hardly see that as a problem with Artest or most of our players. Obvioulsy it's all speculation on how it will all turn out, but I hoping he gains the trust of the players ala Pop.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kingsgurl said:

I certainly hope Muss can come up with another catchphrase. "Touching players" just sounds so... oogey.

;)

You know everyone talks about Ron and Bonzi being a possible clash with an intense style. I think everyone is missing who you really have to worr about. Ron and Bonzi appreciate an intense aggressive approach. Making everyone play harder. In fact I think Bonzi and Ron made at least one comment this season in a round about not finger pointing way about how the team wasn't as tough at times.

I think you have to worry about guys like Bibby. He's been given pretty much free reign to do what he wants at time's. He hasn't been held accountable for his lack of effort on defense. He isn't SUPER athletic, but he is plenty athletic enough to defend. He doesn't want to, he's never had to. He's always been a shooter, and because he's been successful at that, no one holds him accountable for his short comings on the other end. HE is going to be held accountable and pushed by Musselman. With his mildly thuggish attitude, I see THAT being a problem. Not Artest or Bonzi.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree with your comments about Ron and Bonzi. I honestly think Mike will adapt to the more intense style of Musselman better than Brad. I also think there could be some real conflicts with Mr. Ego, Kenny Thomas... which could (fingers crossed) lead to more reasons to find a way to trade him.

Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Not at all sure that's true. Makes logical sense, but you look at the guys Ron & Bonzi have clashed with -- Fratello, Carlisle etc. -- and watched how well they responded under Rick, and that may not be the way it works out. Problem is that intense coaches with egos will get in your face, and that doesn't always work for other intense types. Indeed, their first instinct may be to knock the guy on his ***.

The Bibby thing...possible. Seem to recall (and its fuzzy, so could be mistaken) that one of the people who didn't respond well to Muss in Golden State was Dunleavy. I would have to imagine that the softie basically just got bruised up by Muss's lack of subtlety. Of course, Mike is not really soft. More stubborn.

In any case, think the real key here is that Muss has to have learned from his mistakes, and has to reach these guys at a personal level ala Pop or Riley in order for them to tolerate being dressed down. If he does, than many potential problems maybe go by the wayside as its an all for one mentality. If not, I can construct scenarios for everybody from the softies getting bruised, the stubborn guys rebelling, the tough guys wanting to pop him in the mouth, on down how it could go wrong.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:
Not at all sure that's true.
Me, neither, of course. I'm just tired of looking for the dark lining to the silver cloud.

I'm back to being perpetually optimistic, at least for now. My great-grandmother used to tell me not to "borrow trouble." The past couple of years I seem to have accumulated a large closet of borrowed trouble. Well, I've returned it all to its rightful owners, and I'm not going to be borrowing any more.

:p

And I do believe that Muss has learned from his mistakes.

It really isn't the intensity issue but more of the control and structured atmosphere. Bonzi wanted peja and others to stop playing soft which had nothing to do with the coach but more to do with the type of player that peja is. Webber complained about the same thing with peja and others about how the team needed to take on his tone as the leader when vlade left.Webber didn't complain about adelman because adelman gave webber the balance that he needed as a player and that balance was freedom to make mistakes,freedom to create whatever and the system was perfect because it wasn't alot of play calling and interference from the sidelines because in Adelman's system the players did the reads and recongnization on what to run.

Bobby jackson also excelled in the system because he was given freedom and independence to Read the defense and make his own calls. Bonzi is another player who responded with rick because Bonzi is a player that has a feel for the game more than the technical aspects of running the set or making sure the screen was full or the cut was done a certain way. Bonzi excelled when he could read the D himself whithout someone coaching his every move until the basket is scored. Structured systems don't compliment bonzi wells game and this is why he played well under dunleavy and Cheeks and Terrible under fratello. Some of his bad play with duneleavy and cheeks came with bonzi being bored and the negative chemistry they had with all those hard heads in portland.

Ron is another player who thrived in Sacramento under Rick because rick didn't call plays and Ron had teh freedom to do his own Reads. In Indiana Ron did well under carlisle for a minute but his desires to have more freedom took control of him and this what Mussleman needs to watch. It all depends on what Eric does with his offense with Ron, If it's alot of play calling then he could be in trouble, If it's motion and Freedom then it could work.

Webber
bonzi wells
jim jackson
vernon maxwell
jason williams
Ron artest
doug christie

All were hard heads who thrive under coaches who they don't have to look over their shoulders with. Webber didn't like the constant criticism from Don nelson, Ron artest pressure tank was boiling with carlisle's play calling and finally he exploded. Some players are exceptions and can adpat to the situation but others are super feel players who work at their best when they can play off of basketball instincts.

Bottomline is Ron wants to Free lance and show his one on one skills. He wanats to play point and be as versatile as kobe and Mcgrady.Ron is going into next season with the mind set that he is going to have the ball the whole 94 feet. If he doesn't get this it may be like a Time bomb waiting to explode, He may do it in the playoffs or he may get it over with and start soem mess early on in the season. It may be little mess because he knows that the league is watching him, But it may be enough to causee a Ditraction. As for Bonzi he is a player just liek the one he was traded for in Bobby jackson.

Bobby Jackson was a guest today with Grant Napear. Below are some highlights:

Jackson was not happy with the minutes he got while playing for Memphis. He said he wasn't used correctly.

Jackson on his free agent status: "Yeah, I won't be back there (Memphis)."

"He (Coach Mike Fratello) didn't like the way I played and I didn't like the way he coached."

Jackson on being coached and his experience at Memphis: "I can understand what Bonzi went through. I thought it was Bonzi when I first got there."

"You can't play your game when you have to look over your shoulder every time. I just kept my mouth shut and played hard."

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
One thing that's often overlooked about Muss is that he actually changed things up quite a bit and showed a great deal of flexibility in GS. He started off preaching purely defense and slowly opened up the offense as players began emerging on the team. He found what worked best for his personel and used it. Yet they still improved by 8 or 9 points a game on the defensive end. I think Ron and Bonzi are professionals who want to win and they will see that's what Muss wants too. And it sure sounds like Muss understands they are a huge key to this team's success in its current form and will not try to hold them back or reduce their role like their last coaches did. The only person I see being a huge problem on this team is KT (as he was when the supposed master of egos Adelman coached this team as well).

Supposedly a big reason the Warriors stopped listening to Muss is because several of them were of the "me first me first me first" type of player or didn't want to play defense (J-Rich). I don't think we really have anyone like the former, except maybe Kenny Thomas. Artest said he wants a coach who will push the players more and hold them more accountable, and it's been said that Bonzi's trouble with the Grizz was with the head coach, not Muss.

pdxKingsFan said:
One thing that's often overlooked about Muss is that he actually changed things up quite a bit and showed a great deal of flexibility in GS. He started off preaching purely defense and slowly opened up the offense as players began emerging on the team. He found what worked best for his personel and used it. Yet they still improved by 8 or 9 points a game on the defensive end. I think Ron and Bonzi are professionals who want to win and they will see that's what Muss wants too. And it sure sounds like Muss understands they are a huge key to this team's success in its current form and will not try to hold them back or reduce their role like their last coaches did. The only person I see being a huge problem on this team is KT (as he was when the supposed master of egos Adelman coached this team as well).
I believe adelman is one of those master of Ego coaches,He even knew what to do with kenny thomas,His pouting about being in the starting lineup didn't faze adelman and adleman wasn't afraid to sit his crying butt on the bench and in the process he motivated kenny to come in and play harder. The aloof personality is what makes adelman a master of egos coach, I have seen coaches like this on all levels, They may be soft in some ways but in other aspects they can tune bad attitude players out, but they also can tune everyone out to their detriement and this is probably why adelman wasn't asked to come back as coach.

Sirius said:
Supposedly a big reason the Warriors stopped listening to Muss is because several of them were of the "me first me first me first" type of player or didn't want to play defense (J-Rich). I don't think we really have anyone like the former, except maybe Kenny Thomas. Artest said he wants a coach who will push the players more and hold them more accountable, and it's been said that Bonzi's trouble with the Grizz was with the head coach, not Muss.

Artest also said :downplaying his recent shooting slump -- declaring that bad shots he takes should be shrugged off as if "Kobe or Tim Duncan or Michael Jordan" took them

I'm so demanding of the ball. It's not my fault," he said. "Every time somebody is on me it's a mismatch. It messes up the offense. I like Coach (Carlisle) as a person, but I don't like playing for Coach. I like my team, though."
The Pacers run a structured offense in which Carlisle calls out most plays. That frustrates Artest, who has complained about the system in the past.

Artest seeks a system in which he can score more, which would lead to a bigger contract when his expires in 2008. He has a player option for $8.5 million for the 2008-09 season.
"Here I don't think I'm going to have a chance to maximize my opportunity for my potential," he said. "When I first got here, all I wanted to do was play defense. I never really cared about offense, but what I see is players like Kobe (Bryant), Tracy (McGrady), (Gilbert) Arenas and Jermaine (O'Neal) getting the opportunity to maximize their potential on the court and to get paid. I'm out of my character a little bit here.
"I don't think I'm going to maximize my opportunity just playing defense. I have to show I'm one of the premier players on offense on the wing. So when it's that time, there's no question what type of player I am."

This shows alot of meism individualism and potent selfish nature.

Different team, different situation. I'm fine with him wanting to show more of his skill on offense and prove himself more as a player.

And? He's the main guy here basically every night, as it'll continue.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
shaka zulu said:
I believe adelman is one of those master of Ego coaches,He even knew what to do with kenny thomas,His pouting about being in the starting lineup didn't faze adelman and adleman wasn't afraid to sit his crying butt on the bench and in the process he motivated kenny to come in and play harder.
Kenny was a pouting little turd until Reef got hurt and he got to start again. When Reef got back into form and started eating up his minutes he disappeared again. End of story. I like Rick but I think people tend to romanticize him a bit because he was the only successful coach during the Kings time in Sacramento. I don't mean to diminish what he did but for all the success stories there are more than a handful of players that were brought in to Sacramento that didn't perform or languished unused on the bench as well. Now maybe its possible that every one of them sucked and didn't deserve playing time, but I suspect that the Maloofs hate paying salaries of people who never get to sniff meaningful minutes on the court, and part of what they like about Musselman is that he isn't afraid to mix it up a little. With his 100+ pages of detailed scouting reports on our existing roster I'm sure he probably came up with ways to make the Maloofs feel like they'd get greater returns on their investment.

pdxKingsFan said:
Kenny was a pouting little turd until Reef got hurt and he got to start again. When Reef got back into form and started eating up his minutes he disappeared again. End of story. I like Rick but I think people tend to romanticize him a bit because he was the only successful coach during the Kings time in Sacramento. I don't mean to diminish what he did but for all the success stories there are more than a handful of players that were brought in to Sacramento that didn't perform or languished unused on the bench as well. Now maybe its possible that every one of them sucked and didn't deserve playing time, but I suspect that the Maloofs hate paying salaries of people who never get to sniff meaningful minutes on the court, and part of what they like about Musselman is that he isn't afraid to mix it up a little. With his 100+ pages of detailed scouting reports on our existing roster I'm sure he probably came up with ways to make the Maloofs feel like they'd get greater returns on their investment.
They split the time when reef got back into form but when games were close kenny came up big with points and Rebounds and intangibles. Reef played good when he came back but was only effective if he was allowed to be the black hole on offense, other than that he didn't give any of the intagibles that a power forward is supposed to bring to your team. kenny played big in some crucial games notching the triple double against the lakers and hitting those 3 big shots against the Mavs in that close game. He also stepped up Big against the jazz in another big game that had playoff implications with rebounds dimes and other hustle plays.

Reef showed he can score and that is about it. He didn't rebound and he didn't bring the little effort items to the floor.

Now with mussleman he must prove his analytical skills can add up to winning. Can he walk the walk and not just talk. You can tell us every pin drop of what you can do and what is supposed to be done, but action speaks louder than words and he hasn't shown yet that he can back up his thousand page book reports on how to play basketball.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
pdxKingsFan said:
They "romantacize" him because he won. Big. As in 2nd most games in the league during those years. And that's the name of the game, and the 12th man can go **** himself in the process. This isn't high school or rec league where everybody has to play so their little egos won't be bruised.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Bricklayer said:
They "romantacize" him because he won. Big. As in 2nd most games in the league during those years. And that's the name of the game, and the 12th man can go **** himself in the process. This isn't high school or rec league where everybody has to play so their little egos won't be bruised.
I understand that, but realistically it was time to move on a season or two ago. The fact that he did well this season after Artest got here doesn't change that even if the way they ousted him seemed a little harsh and unfair. In your own words this isn't high school or rec league where feel good stories and division championships count for jack-s* and in the end Adelman wasn't getting the job done at the level ownership (and many fans) demanded.

I think the Dallas Mavericks have proved that you'll NEVER win until you get defense. Avery Johnson is NOT the reason their defense has drastically improved. Adding Diop instead of Bradley, Terry instead of Nash, Howard has become better, drafted a quick pick pocket PG in Devin Harris, added Stackhouse and dropped Finley, adding Dampier, Daniels is healthy. All these moves resulted in a better defensive team. Ron comes and all of a sudden the Kings D improves! Wow! Guess Adelman just decided to start teaching defense. Rick was a great coach, and I agree evenually a change needed to be made. People are just stating that the Kings would be LUCKY with the coaches on the market to get someone even close to Ricks caliber of coaching...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
shaka zulu said:
They split the time when reef got back into form but when games were close kenny came up big with points and Rebounds and intangibles. Reef played good when he came back but was only effective if he was allowed to be the black hole on offense, other than that he didn't give any of the intagibles that a power forward is supposed to bring to your team. kenny played big in some crucial games notching the triple double against the lakers and hitting those 3 big shots against the Mavs in that close game. He also stepped up Big against the jazz in another big game that had playoff implications with rebounds dimes and other hustle plays.

Reef showed he can score and that is about it. He didn't rebound and he didn't bring the little effort items to the floor.

Now with mussleman he must prove his analytical skills can add up to winning. Can he walk the walk and not just talk. You can tell us every pin drop of what you can do and what is supposed to be done, but action speaks louder than words and he hasn't shown yet that he can back up his thousand page book reports on how to play basketball.
And he hasn't shown that he won't, either.

All your rhetoric and theories about what will happen are NO different than Eric Musselman's books. So instead of writing paragraph after paragraph about what you think will happen, why don't we just wait a bit and see for ourselves?

We can always moan and whine about the bad stuff IF and WHEN it actually happens.

VF21 said:
And he hasn't shown that he won't, either.

All your rhetoric and theories about what will happen are NO different than Eric Musselman's books. So instead of writing paragraph after paragraph about what you think will happen, why don't we just wait a bit and see for ourselves?

We can always moan and whine about the bad stuff IF and WHEN it actually happens.
He still has to show what he can do, it isn't rhetoric because he has had a major coaching oppurtunity and he didn't get it done so he has to show that he isn't just doing a book report on how to play basketball. Everybody must show and prove whether you are the 12th man who needs to keep a good attitude or go back to the D league or the player with ability who isn't using all of it and is under achieving as a result.

Action speaks louder than words.

You win you win, you loose you loose.

walk the walk.

show and prove.

He'll be given a chance but everybody is scrutinized, just like he analyzes the game to the detail, his Win compared to his Losses will be scrutinized the same as everyone else in the big leagues. Look at flip saunders.

If Eric wins games and goes far then know one will complain about anything. He's here to win games not to make friends. But if he wins games he will make friends.

Last edited:
Warhawk said:
"The key is to try to touch your players every day, to try to find which buttons you can push to bring out the maximum effort and the maximum ability that they have," he said. "When (Washington guard and former Warriors player) Gilbert Arenas gives you a big hug, and whispers in your ear about what an impact you've had on his career.… The Speedy Claxtons, Brian Cardinals, Erick Dampiers. As a coach, if we can maximize each guy on our roster, and bring their value up in their own minds, I think that does nothing but benefit the organization and benefit the players."
Me likey.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
shaka zulu said:
He still has to show what he can do, it isn't rhetoric because he has had a major coaching oppurtunity and he didn't get it done
Does anyone think Rick Adelman would have done better than Muss did with the Warriors squad he had to work with? He exceeded the team's wildest expectations and neither his predecessor or successor came close to matching what he did. He may prove not to be a good fit for the Kings or he may bring us a title, but I'd hardly call the job he did in GS a failure.

pdxKingsFan said:
Does anyone think Rick Adelman would have done better than Muss did with the Warriors squad he had to work with? He exceeded the team's wildest expectations and neither his predecessor or successor came close to matching what he did. He may prove not to be a good fit for the Kings or he may bring us a title, but I'd hardly call the job he did in GS a failure.
All the talk about him winning 30 games doesn't get it done. Know body's saying that he won't get the job done, But at the same time I refuse to crown him king until he gets out there and gets the job done. I hope gets it done cause I know how hard it is myself to under achieve and not do what your skills say you can accopmplish. But I don't like one bit the lack of Respect that adelman gets. I know everyone isn't on the adelman hate wagon but many are and I think his significance as coach and leader will show next season.