Sactownroyalty, VOX Media, and California AB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so VOX could have handled it better, but what did people think was going to happen when the CA Legislature passed this? These are free sites. Cause and effect my friends...............

Sucks that a lot of talented writers in this state are gonna be unemployed because of a badly written law.

Ok, so VOX could have handled it better, but what did people think was going to happen when the CA Legislature passed this? These are free sites. Cause and effect my friends...............

Sucks that a lot of talented writers in this state are gonna be unemployed because of a badly written law.
It's only a matter of time before other states adopt a similar law. There are industries, who's entire business model is based on being first movers in regulatory gray areas (Airbnb, Uber, SBN, Fanduel, Self Driving, MJ companies...). So from that perspective, this law is expected in the overall arch--regulations are starting to catch up.

That said, I have always felt that SBN's foundation was rather shoddy. Seems to be true. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the entire network fold once other states catch up.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
OK, three things:

1) Politics. We're not going to let this become a political argument, because we know where that goes. I've already had to make one small clean up. Keep the discussion on this "clean" or we'll just lock it down. I'm letting it stand for now because it's an issue that touches upon websites like ours and sports commentary sites in general.

2) Because this doesn't specifically pertain to the Kings, I'm moving it out of Kings Rap.

3) Don't worry that AB5 might affect KingsFans.com. We get paid with something far more valuable than money - the appreciation and love (sycophancy, idol worship, abuse, letter bombs we need to deftly defuse, you name it, we get it!) of all you readers out there. Regulate THAT, California!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

They are free sites that make the people at the top of the chain a LOT of money. Speaks more on the full time folks running the networks that they don't value their content creators enough to comply with the law to keep them on. It's even more disgusting when you consider who founded SB Nation and what they were supposedly about in the early 00s. Not appropriate for this forum however.

I had a girlfriend who wrote for women's interest sites and spent 5-10 hours minimum on articles plus attended weekly online editorial meetings for which she was paid 50 bucks a pop. I guess that's cool if you also have a full time paying gig, which she did.

I'll argue this is a feature not a bug of the legislation.

Status
Not open for further replies.