Sacramento - MLS - #29!!!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
good for Sacramento....I don't watch MLS but I may tune in to watch SacRepublic play from time to time if they have some players that catch my eye

When the raiders crash and burn in L.V Sacramento can dust them off and tailgate downtown too! 916 in the casa!
Eh, I'm not a Ray-Dahs fan at all, but I'm confident they'll fare just fine in Vegas.

We'd likely have a better shot at landing the A's should their stadium deal fall through.

Or how about the LA Chargers??? I have no idea why the NFL was so hell bent on returning to the LA market judging by the fan turnout at recent Chargers and Rams games.

The weekend before last the Steelers essentially had a home game against the Chargers down in LA. Same thing occurred at the LA Coliseum between the 49ers and Rams. What a joke!

But returning to the subject at hand .......... I'm so happy MLS in SAC finally got done! It's about time! I won't dwell on the past and how long it all took, but instead look forward to a bright entertainment future as well as a much larger downtown!!!

Last edited:
So I know nothing about soccer. Does the Sac Republic just become an MLS team now? If so how do they compete if they don't have any MLS level players? Is there an expansion draft? Do they get free agents? Does soccer have free agency?

So I know nothing about soccer. Does the Sac Republic just become an MLS team now? If so how do they compete if they don't have any MLS level players? Is there an expansion draft? Do they get free agents? Does soccer have free agency?
They‘ll still be part of the USL the next 2 seasons in 2020 and 2021. They won’t join MLS until 2022.

And there will be an expansion draft leading up to the season they enter the league. They can retain any players they have now and add to it via the draft. Here’s some info on the draft happening this November; which will be similar to 2022: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_MLS_Expansion_Draft

Lastly, I just saw this cool video MLS put together with a ton of celebs congratulating Sactown.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...-michael-strahan-are-all-pumped?autoplay=true

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
In soccer a team's talent is in no way reliant on a stupid draft. Very little talent even comes from the MLS draft.

Some will come from the team's academy. Some from the initial expansion draft although there's little talent there. Most will come from signing players internationally. There's a cap and you can spend within the cap to bring in players from South/Central America and Europe.

Then there's three DP slots where you can pay whatever you like and it doesn't count against the cap. David Beckham is the most famous example of this.

Theoretically Sac could sign Messi and Ronaldo. They won't I'm just saying that to make a point.

So unlike watching Vlade screw up draft picks and hoping for ping pong balls, in MLS there's little excuse for being a bad team if you're willing to spend. You buy players on the global market outside of a draft system.

ATL and LAFC are two recent expansion teams who came into the league and dominated immediately. Good coaches and good purchasing of players internationally. With ambitious ownership a title in the first few years is reasonable. ATL won a championship, had coach of the year and the MLS MVP in its 2nd season. They bought some very good South Americans.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Probably wanted to renegotiate the expansion fee?
Maybe if, you know, they had actually signed the expansion contract and turned it in that wouldn't be a possibility (if that indeed happened)? Hard to make any educated guesses at this point, though.

Kinda conspiracy theoryish but maybe Burkle is just a time buyer for Sacramento. For a "small" fee he'll pretend to be a serious investor until a real buyer can be found.

Maybe if, you know, they had actually signed the expansion contract and turned it in that wouldn't be a possibility (if that indeed happened)? Hard to make any educated guesses at this point, though.
I don't know but even if I signed a contract I'd probably be trying to get out of a 500m expansion fee right now. Just like the MLS was trying to get out of paying their players. I am 99% sure the league is going to survive this but I think its fundamentally unhealthy right now. Most were saying even pre-COVID that the latest expansion fees were bordering on pyramid scheme to pump up earlier owners' investments. I love watching my team and was super looking forward to having an excuse to go home every summer to watch an away game and the TBB folk have been generous hosts, but MLS is still very much a hybrid between a selling league and a retirement home for euro-stars - ie its hardly essential even for most club football fans in the US.

I don't know but even if I signed a contract I'd probably be trying to get out of a 500m expansion fee right now. Just like the MLS was trying to get out of paying their players. I am 99% sure the league is going to survive this but I think its fundamentally unhealthy right now. Most were saying even pre-COVID that the latest expansion fees were bordering on pyramid scheme to pump up earlier owners' investments. I love watching my team and was super looking forward to having an excuse to go home every summer to watch an away game and the TBB folk have been generous hosts, but MLS is still very much a hybrid between a selling league and a retirement home for euro-stars - ie its hardly essential even for most club football fans in the US.
agree, especially with the bolded. Plenty of blame for Burkle, covid, etc, but the MLS constantly moving the goalposts by increasing the expansion fees certainly is a significant factor in why there isn’t a team here already. It seemed like every time Sacramento had a bid ready, the league would turn around and increase the fees.