Sacramento - MLS - #29!!!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's not in line with recent MLS buyers but Seattle Sounders had Drew Carey and later I think Russell Wilson bought in (they did have Seahawks ownership including Paul Allen although that stake was sold). Steve Nash was in the Vancouver Whitecaps group. Portland's owner is like the equivalent of Vivek's son owning a team, or maybe W. with the Rangers when his daddy was President. Fieri, Ezeli, Faber seems like what would have been a pretty respectable ownership group before Manchester and the Yankees came to NY and the LAFC ownership group.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It's not in line with recent MLS buyers but Seattle Sounders had Drew Carey and later I think Russell Wilson bought in (they did have Seahawks ownership including Paul Allen although that stake was sold). Steve Nash was in the Vancouver Whitecaps group. Portland's owner is like the equivalent of Vivek's son owning a team, or maybe W. with the Rangers when his daddy was President. Fieri, Ezeli, Faber seems like what would have been a pretty respectable ownership group before Manchester and the Yankees came to NY and the LAFC ownership group.
The crazy thing is that Guy Fieri is pretty much a good press magnet/internet folk hero at this point so getting him involved is probably a really good Hail Mary move at getting MLS to stay interested in The Sacramento bid.

I'm almost certain one of the groups is the Kings. They took on two private equity investors last summer. Trying to acquire the River Cats. Then go after Sac Republic. Secure the entertainment anchors. Gentrify and develop that West Sac to Old Town to G1C corridor. Then cash out in the form of a REIT for the developed properties within the corridor and an equity offering for the sports teams.

the dream is apparently not dead. (not that I’m particularly interested in Republic going to the MLS at this point)
IF, (and when), the USL implements promotion/relegation, I sure as heck hope it means that the Republic remain in the USL. I think following a team involved in a promotion/relegation-structured league would be quite the (enjoyable) ride.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I am really hoping USL can get on the ball with pro/rel and challenge MLS.

Looks like Messi will never play in Portland (or Seattle or Vancouver) because we all play on turf. Don Garber in his infinite wisdom suggests they install temporary grass just for Messi's games. lol, no thanks, I think we'll take the W by their 3 best players sitting out.

But since I'm done with Timbers for now, I'd love to see someone in Portland start a 3rd division squad in USL that plays on grass and bring it up. If they give a crap about US Open Cup that would be neat too, seems like MLS is trying to back out of USOC play though too. I really hate MLS.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Like I get it, but Sacramento's investors pulled out at the moment they had a team. The constant "we're as good/better" is getting tiresome. Especially because Sacramento has a pretty frickin great thing that isn't corrupted by MLS. The competition in MLS is better to watch, the actual game day experience is not.