Sacramento - MLS - #29!!!

so it's kind of a substitute for time outs?
One way to look at it. Keep in mind, as well, that Soccer utilizes a running clock each half. It doesn't stop when a team scores, or when the ball goes out of bounds, or when there's a substitution...so the 45 minutes and change is actually 45 minutes and change in REAL TIME...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One way to look at it. Keep in mind, as well, that Soccer utilizes a running clock each half. It doesn't stop when a team scores, or when the ball goes out of bounds, or when there's a substitution...
Now that I can watch the Republic games on TV, I need to pay closer attention. Both of my granddaughters play in comp leagues in Sacramento so I have no excuse for not learning more about the game. :)

Now that I can watch the Republic games on TV, I need to pay closer attention. Both of my granddaughters play in comp leagues in Sacramento so I have no excuse for not learning more about the game. :)
Soccer is a fun game to watch. Some matches can definitely be a snooze fest. But, for the most part, it's a fun sport. World Cup is usually the most fun. I can't wait to be able to watch some Republic games live. I'm beating myself over my head for not going while I was in the area to begin with. Now, I can't wait to move back...;)

Basically they add 1 or 2 minutes for time wasting + 30 seconds per sub, so the first half will typically have 45 + 1 or 2 stoppage minutes and the second half will have 3 minutes minimum assuming all teams make their subs. Usually 4-6 minutes is normal at the end of the second half.

If Garber moves the goal posts again I will be livid. I want my Sacramento away days and you all deserve this.
Given the way Garber and company have jerked around Sacramento, I think this primarily means we now have enough money that they'll deign to talk to us. We've had the celebratory press events before -- politicos love to stand in front of cheering crowds. I'll wait to get excited until it looks like there's something to be excited about.

Given the way Garber and company have jerked around Sacramento, I think this primarily means we now have enough money that they'll deign to talk to us. We've had the celebratory press events before -- politicos love to stand in front of cheering crowds. I'll wait to get excited until it looks like there's something to be excited about.
From my take - Sac came in a bit over-eager thinking they could do one amazing season in USL and get a team. So the first time they were passed over, I thought sit tight my dudes, one or two more years of this and you're a lock. Portland was passed over for a solid decade before Seattle basically forced them to take notice (and Seattle USL was no draw).

Then it was your project isn't shovel ready, which it was. Then it was you need more money. Which you got. Now it's "need a billionaire" - which is not a standard that certain other prestige cities were required. But you got one. My fear now is the spectacle that Atlanta set means they will want more NFL co-stadiums and pyrotechnics after goals rather than the euro style supporters section that Sac built following the Portland model. And I'm not one to tell people how to fan, but Sac's got something great and they have a ready-made fan base and it will only multiply as soon as the team reaches the top domestic league where casuals pay attention.

I hope I'm wrong about "MLS 3.0", but if they go St. Louis or some such I will pull my hair out.

If Garber moves the goal posts again I will be livid. I want my Sacramento away days and you all deserve this.
Given the way Garber and company have jerked around Sacramento
Then it was your project isn't shovel ready, which it was. Then it was you need more money. Which you got. Now it's "need a billionaire" - which is not a standard that certain other prestige cities were required. But you got one.
Yeah, I'd grown so tired of the BS that I'd all but given up until hearing the most recent news. I probably shouldn't allow myself to think positively about it again, but I can't help myself.

Admittedly, though, MLS has irritated me to no end with all the posturing and moving of the goalposts (as @pdxKingsFan put it). SAC has been a favorite to land an expansion franchise for years now and something always comes up and excuses are made once another city is selected. Even cities that didn't have as much going for them in terms of fan support and a rock solid promise for a new facility upon announcement of expansion.

I think the part that pissed me off the most is when the expansion fee suddenly inflated to a point that a billionaire was now needed. If they had awarded us with expansion the 1st or 2nd time it looked like SAC was a shoe-in, it wouldn't have been anywhere near $250M to join the club.

And this coming from someone that isn't much of a soccer/fútbol fan. I'm just excited for the stadium to be built in the railyards with even more entertainment amenities for this city. I can't be sure, but I feel confident the stadium would be used for more than just soccer too -- although that would be the primary use.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
After everything the Kings went through, I firmly believe more than ever before that everything happens for a reason. Timing matters. With the acquisition of Burkle into the fold, the path to success just got a lot smoother/wider.

We will be in the MLS soon which is great news for the region.

2 pro sports teams in Sac
I hope you're right. I thought the Bee's story a few days ago was a little confusing, because the headline implied we were probably going to get a team, but the story quoted MLS Commissioner Garber as saying that Sacramento and St. Louis are the two leading candidates. So do we or don't we? I hope we do, because I'd definitely go see them.

I hope you're right. I thought the Bee's story a few days ago was a little confusing, because the headline implied we were probably going to get a team, but the story quoted MLS Commissioner Garber as saying that Sacramento and St. Louis are the two leading candidates. So do we or don't we? I hope we do, because I'd definitely go see them.
Burkle wouldn't have bought in, if it wasn't imminent or at least going to happen. I think we just need to let it play out now. End of the day we have met all the MLS stipulations so it should just be a matter of time

Sacramento is getting the SuperSonics treatment, basically used as a tool to get everyone else to up their offers. Really sucks for you guys as you deserve it. Maybe not in 2014, but 5 years of sustained success in the mess that is USL? If the next team isn't Sac I am going to scream.

But MLS gonna MLS.

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/mls/article234750677.html

It looks like there might finally be an agreement on a framework for MLS expansion in Sacramento. Nothing official yet, but from the sound of this article, things are beginning to get real.
I hate how MLS has jerked Sac around so I won't believe it until opening day but really, it's beyond time.

Presently fed up w/ MLS for other reasons and pondering letting my Timbers season tickets go but that's for another forum.