Sacramento lawmaker Robert Matsui dies at 63

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=8&id=323726

WASHINGTON — Rep Robert Matsui, the Japanese-American lawmaker from Sacramento who chaired the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, died of a rare stem cell disorder at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland on Saturday, his office said Sunday. He was 63.
Matsui was first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1978 and had been returned to office in every election since. He was the third ranking Democrat on the House Ways and Means Committee and the ranking member on the Social Security Subcommittee. He became chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee two years ago.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I met Mr. Matsui when he was on the Sacramento City Council. He was a very interesting man and he will be missed.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
RIP Robert Matsui

I also had the honor of meeting Congressman Matsui on several occasions. What a good man. An honest politician is rare, but Matsui was proof that they do exist. Too bad there are not more like him. He will indeed be missed.

This came out of nowhere. I too met Mr. Matsui while doing community work in Del Paso Heights. Very nice man, community will miss him. What is strange is that the rare blood illness he was stricken with, also inflicted another congressperson three years ago. They both passed within 120 days of being diagnosed.