Sacramento Kings save the team documentary

Hi people.

Just wondering to find out of any possible release or even links to where we can view the following documentaries about the story of how the Sacramento Kings were saved from relocating?

Playing to Win - This documentary came out around April 2015. Just wondering if anyone knows where I can download this documentary or even purchase or view it online?

Here is the link to the trailer - http://www.playingtowindoc.com/

Down in the Valley - With this documentary it is a part of ESPN's 30 for 30. Don't think this one is out yet, but would be great if anyone can shed some light on the release date.

Here is the link to the trailer - http://www.nba.com/kings/blog/teaser-released-kings-30-30-doc

Thank you!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Playing to Win was shown in local theaters for a couple weeks but now is not available. My understanding is they would like to put it on DVD or similar but have some issues with being able to do that at this time. Sounded like some rights issues with the NBA or something, but I don't remember exactly. I wouldn't hold my breath on that being available any time soon.

I think Down in the Valley is supposed to come out within the next few months.

A 30 for 30 doc on this saga has the potential to be OUTSTANDING.

That group of directors produces fantastic quality films. You don't even need to be a sports fan to enjoy them, that's the sign of excellence. Honestly, some of the 30 for 30 docs are in the top 10 or 20 I've ever seen. Just excellent film making. Combined with the story of what actually happened here, could be just amazing. Let's hope they nail it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A 30 for 30 doc on this saga has the potential to be OUTSTANDING.

That group of directors produces fantastic quality films. You don't even need to be a sports fan to enjoy them, that's the sign of excellence. Honestly, some of the 30 for 30 docs are in the top 10 or 20 I've ever seen. Just excellent film making. Combined with the story of what actually happened here, could be just amazing. Let's hope they nail it.
From what I've heard, we're all going to be pretty happy with it. :)

Was the Playing to Win documentary ever released? Or is its release dead? I live in LA, so was unable to see it in theaters. Such a shame both documentaries on this saga have been delayed this long.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Was the Playing to Win documentary ever released? Or is its release dead? I live in LA, so was unable to see it in theaters. Such a shame both documentaries on this saga have been delayed this long.
I believe Playing To Win is dead. ESPN killed it in the wake of some re-raised allegations of Kevin Johnson's behavior with an underage girl quite a few years ago.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I believe Playing To Win is dead. ESPN killed it in the wake of some re-raised allegations of Kevin Johnson's behavior with an underage girl quite a few years ago.
ESPN killed the 30 for 30 "Down in the Valley" documentary. Playing to Win, the documentary by Elliott Sisson who was part of the RV trip with Carmichael Dave and Sean Thomas, was shown several times in Sacramento and at the Tribeca Film Festival.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
ESPN killed the 30 for 30 "Down in the Valley" documentary. Playing to Win, the documentary by Elliott Sisson who was part of the RV trip with Carmichael Dave and Sean Thomas, was shown several times in Sacramento and at the Tribeca Film Festival.
Riiiiiiight. My mistake on the titles of the documentaries.

I don't know if Playing to Win was ever released in any form outside of the limited theatrical release here, but I'm sure CD would know if he pops his head in.

I tried to query the 30 for 30 up on our fire tv but can't find it. Weird because we can get everything on it since it's jail broken. Maybe I'm not searching correctly

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I tried to query the 30 for 30 up on our fire tv but can't find it. Weird because we can get everything on it since it's jail broken. Maybe I'm not searching correctly
It was never released. It's not available on any broadcast service. It will remain in the ESPN vaults for all eternity, unless someone relents or a privately-held copy somehow surfaces.

It was never released. It's not available on any broadcast service. It will remain in the ESPN vaults for all eternity, unless someone relents or a privately-held copy somehow surfaces.
Thanks VF. But didn't Dave have a copy? That gave me hope that I could maybe find it if there was actual copies floating around out there...even if it was bootlegged

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks VF. But didn't Dave have a copy? That gave me hope that I could maybe find it if there was actual copies floating around out there...even if it was bootlegged
Scroll up. Dave mentioned his copy of it and said, at some point, he may arrange to get it shown. :)

Scroll up. Dave mentioned his copy of it and said, at some point, he may arrange to get it shown. :)
Yeah I saw that. What I was saying/hoping is that if there is a copy, then there should be something out there (i.e. Bootleg etc) that I could pull up on fire tv. Wishful thinking lol

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Shout out to Dave for sharing the PTW documentary via Periscope tonight. I laughed, I cried and most importantly I appreciated even more now the incredible effort put forth by Dave, Mike Tavares, Kevin Johnson and so many more. Sacramento needed a perfect storm - a miracle that would allow us to accomplish the impossible and against all odds we did it.

I think Playing To Win should be required viewing for all future Kings fans. They need to know the story as told with the raw emotion Dave uses. He was and is one of us - a Kings fan to the bone who bleeds purple. He put his life on hold for 30 days to go across country in an RV to make our plight a national human interest story. He wasn't alone. Mike Tavares and Crown Downtown attended those City Council meetings and also spoke for all of us who couldn't be there.

I didn't think I could be more proud than I was back then of all those involved in keeping the Kings. A little bit of distance, however, makes the tale even sweeter. As I settle back later today to watch the Kings play the Grizzlies in GOLDEN 1 CENTER, I hope they all realize the gratitude I and so many others hold for what they did.

It's an incredible time to be a Kings fan.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Any idea when/if it will be broadcasted? I know it was halted with the whole KJ thing.
The ESPN 30 for 30 "Down in the Valley"? According to Dave, it's locked in the Disney vault (they own ESPN). No idea if/when it will ever see the light of day.

The ESPN 30 for 30 "Down in the Valley"? According to Dave, it's locked in the Disney vault (they own ESPN). No idea if/when it will ever see the light of day.
It's in the vault and will never see the light of day.

If only someone had a copy of it to share at a private viewing party. ;)