Sacramento Area Storm

that storm was crazy.. the area near me is mildly flooded and a helicopter has been circling my area for the past couple hours. well least my car is clean :D

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Did you get a lot of rain...quickly? It has been so dry the ground couldn't soak it up fast enough? I heard you guys had lightening too.

My mom and I were discussing today that Illinois had over 900 reported tornados this year. Of course, not nearly all of them touched down, but...900?...sheesh!

6th said:
Did you get a lot of rain...quickly? It has been so dry the ground couldn't soak it up fast enough? I heard you guys had lightening too.
Yeh it was kinda like baby flash flooding, i'm seeing a couple cars stuck in a couple feet of water on the news. Its not anything to worry about.

That thunder came when I was writing a paper.. couldnt concentrate!
I took a picture of water coming down from the roof down to the balcony, it looked like a water fall (but the picture was on my camera phone so the resolution is garbage)

Mad D said:
Yeh it was kinda like baby flash flooding, i'm seeing a couple cars stuck in a couple feet of water on the news. Its not anything to worry about.

I took a picture of water coming down from the roof down to the balcony, it looked like a water fall (but the picture was on my camera phone so the resolution is garbage)
Haha I took a picture of almost the exact same thing!

-Goodness, it was bad... at least as bad as an early September storm in Sacramento can be. I was not expecting it to rain....and well, lets just say I didn't have a very good time.

-Hey those pea-sized hail pellets hurt!

http://www.thekcrachannel.com/weather/3743099/detail.html

Be sure to check out the side show.

I dont think thats the first time the Corti Bros have had something like that happen to them.
================

Thunderstorm Pounds Sacramento Area

Storm Drops 1.9 Inches Of Rain And Hail In 30 Minutes

POSTED: 3:40 pm PDT September 19, 2004
UPDATED: 6:09 pm PDT September 19, 2004

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A brief but intense thunderstorm pounded the state capital Sunday, flooding the basement of the legislative chamber and collapsing the roof of an Italian market.

Intersections were flooded throughout the city, and residents of one neighborhood reported sewage backing up into homes.

A 40-foot by 60-foot section of roof on the Corti Brothers market collapsed, sending thousands of gallons of water into the Italian specialty market. None of the roughly 15 employees and customers inside at the time was injured, said Sacramento Fire Department Capt. Niko King.

The full extent of the damage throughout the city was not immediately known.

"It was so much water at once," he said.

The thunderstorm moved over the city about 1:50 p.m., dropping 1.9 inches of rain and hail in about 30 minutes, National Weather Service meteorologist Ron Lam said.

Slideshow: Images From The Storm

The rain flooded the downtown area and overwhelmed storm drains, sending sewage pouring onto streets.

"It's unlike anything I've ever seen before ... 5th Street is completely flooded ... really, it's just too much water too fast," City Of Sacramento Public Works spokesman George Armbruster said.

Residents on 35th Street near McKinley Park got creative as they tried to navigate flooded streets. Some people used a canoe to reach their cars.

A fire department dispatcher said a number of buildings were flooded. Among them was the state Capitol, which houses the Legislature and governor's office.

The damage was apparently limited to the basement, said Dante Bruce, a CalTrans engineer and spokesman at the CalTrans/California Highway Patrol Traffic Management Center in Sacramento.

The highway patrol has jurisdiction over the Capitol.

The storm also caused problems for drivers on area freeways.

On Interstate 5 near O Street, the driver of a sport utility vehicle found himself stranded in more than two feet of water.

"It's crazy man ... out of nowhere ... it just came out of nowhere," stranded driver Joe Avalano said.

Flooding was also a problem on Highway 50 near 65th Street, where all but one lane was blocked. The 34th Street offramp from Highway 50 was also flooded for several hours.

Sunday's storm was part of a cold weather front that originated in the Gulf of Alaska and began moving over the state Saturday night. It brought snow showers to the Sierra and dime-size hail to lower elevations.

Warnings of severe thunderstorms were issued Sunday afternoon for other parts of the Sacramento Valley.
Copyright 2004 by TheKCRAChannel and The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Last edited:
Mad D said:

i couldn't concentrate on my homework either and the power went out when i was watching the Cowboys game :mad:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't see this in the article, but according to the news the 1.9 inches broke a record of .8 inches that had stood since 1956!!

Up here we received well over an inch, which certainly helped reduce the fire danger significantly. We don't worry about flooding - if it's to the point where we're flooding, then all you valley people had better grow gills QUICKLY!

omg, that picture of those guys canoeing up O street had me roffling!

I really wanted to take a drive in it, so I hopped in my truck. Little did I know that it was going to start hailing like crazy and flash flood a bunch of streets!

fortunately, midtown (where i live) didn't get too bad, except further up the grid in the higher letters towards broadway. I was able to make it home without incident. damn, it was fun though. :)

Last edited:
slugking50 said:
http://www.thekcrachannel.com/weather/3743099/detail.html

Be sure to check out the side show.

I dont think thats the first time the Corti Bros have had something like that happen to them.
Didn't they used to have a store where that plane went into the shopping center from Executive Airport? I'm really fuzzy on that but I think they did?

How sad, I think that's the last store they have in Sacramento, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm in Elk Grove and we had thunder and lightning for about 1.5-2 hours before the rain hit....I used it as an excuse to stay off the computer, not do laundry (in case the power went out or fluctuated...my washer/dryer are electronic) and went back to bed to read (although we did watch the rain for awhile and had street flooding until the rain let up). It was a nice excuse to be lazy unless you wanted to watch football yesterday!

kingskings! said:
Didn't they used to have a store where that plane went into the shopping center from Executive Airport? I'm really fuzzy on that but I think they did?

How sad, I think that's the last store they have in Sacramento, isn't it?
Im guessing your talking about the 1973 incident that killed 23? I have no idea, Id have to ask my mother. My mom used to go to that ice Cream Parlor all the time.

slugking50 said:
Im guessing your talking about the 1973 incident that killed 23? I have no idea, Id have to ask my mother. My mom used to go to that ice Cream Parlor all the time.
I took a flight class at Exec. Airport recently, where the ill-fated plane took off. It happened in 1972 and it skidden across the street into Farrell's parlor, killing 25 or so, mostly kids and their parents. They just opened a little memorial at the sheriff's center that is on the site now. And 32 years later they're still trying to close the runway that the plane took off on!

I think that Corti Brothers is the last one in town. I remember the one they used to have around Madison and Sunrise, my family used to shop there all the time.