RIP Ex-Kings coach Bill Russell

Great basketball legend both college with USF Dons and pros with the Boston Celtics. And Rochester Royals had #1 pick year Bill Russell drafted! What happened? That's another story! When Sacramento Kings announced the legend was to be their new head coach 1987 recall having conversation with one of the minority owners, commercial real estate developer Bob Cook. Cook was giddy. Russell lasted only 58 games with Kings before Jerry Reynolds took over. Reggie Theus (not to name drop too much) had conversation with later on telling me relationship with Celtics all-time champ no real relationship. He said Russell acted bored a lot, stood back off practice court while assistant coaches ran drills, interacted with Kings players up close. Russell fired after going 17-41, kicked upstairs to Kings F.O. and Reynolds named head coach. Theus then liked situation lot better but traded to Atlanta next season. Ironically years later Reggie came back to coach the Kings and had much better winning percentage than either Russell or Reynolds. RIP#6

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Had a few hours to reflect on this one, it hurts. I remember when he came to Sacramento and it being disastrous. I hated everything Celtics at that time despite being a Boston baseball and hockey fan (didn't really fall for the Pats until I moved there, at which point I became neutral towards the Celts and ultimately adopted them as a second team because of my Knicks friend). So it was my time in Boston that really made me appreciate the twin legends of Red and Russell. This was during the Jordan era, and of course I also discovered usenet in college, and that there was an whole online community that hated Jordan, so of course that also fueled a love of Russell's achievements on the court that I don't think can ever be matched. I often complain about erasure of pre-Jordan stars because I'm old enough to remember them at least on highlight reels. But Bill's on court achievements are just the tip of the iceberg. There was a discussion on twitter about retiring his number and calling him the Jackie Robinson of basketball and I think this reply summed it up nicely:

Absolute legend, Rest In Power.

He was well before my time, but I have always admired the greats of the game who, collectively, paved the way for the generation of basketball players I grew up with, and still "grow up" with. Watching/hearing/reading so many give Mr. Russell the highest of accolades makes the REAL basketball fan in me wish I was born many years prior to my actual year of birth. But, at the same time, I also feel blessed to have been able to witness players like Michael Jordan, John Stockton, Karl Malone, David Robinson, Reggie Miller, Mitch Richmond...Just to name a few.

If it weren't for the generation of players like Bill Russell, we would not be able to enjoy the game of basketball as much as we all do today. Thank you, Mr. Russell, for all of your contributions throughout your playing career and beyond. It would have had been an honor to have been able to witness your 11 championships over a professional career that spanned 13 years; Something that I am not even sure the final human to grace this earth before it goes up in flames will be able to do.

May You Rest Well, William Felton Russell...:)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I've been off PTI for a while now (too "sportsy" for my sensibilities) but my double main man JL (Hidden Dragons for those of you familiar with my keeper league) said I should check out their tribute to Mister Russell. I'll say this much: guys like Kornheiser, Wilbon, Bob Ryan, Woody Paige, et al. continue to be invaluable when it comes time to put our forgotten sports legends of yesteryear in their proper context.

He was well before my time, but I have always admired the greats of the game who, collectively, paved the way for the generation of basketball players I grew up with, and still "grow up" with. Watching/hearing/reading so many give Mr. Russell the highest of accolades makes the REAL basketball fan in me wish I was born many years prior to my actual year of birth. But, at the same time, I also feel blessed to have been able to witness players like Michael Jordan, John Stockton, Karl Malone, David Robinson, Reggie Miller, Mitch Richmond...Just to name a few.

If it weren't for the generation of players like Bill Russell, we would not be able to enjoy the game of basketball as much as we all do today. Thank you, Mr. Russell, for all of your contributions throughout your playing career and beyond. It would have had been an honor to have been able to witness your 11 championships over a professional career that spanned 13 years; Something that I am not even sure the final human to grace this earth before it goes up in flames will be able to do.

May You Rest Well, William Felton Russell...:)
My guess is we are about the same age due to your memory of players growing up.

My Dad always said BR was amazing for the simple fact he tossed Wilt's finger roll back at him, and kept Wilt off the block better than anybody. Russell was obviously the most dominant of his Era and on the defensive end, which takes considerable effort no matter what.

Just really sucks he was hired to be our coach, his only professional blemish in an otherwise perfect NBA career.

RIP to one of the best, if not the best, to ever do it at his position.

A class human and great athlete. He had a positive influence on many people.
I fondly remember basketball camp in junior high school and Red Auerbach came for two years in a row and told us Bill Russell stories while smoking cigars and making shots from half court on one bounce.