Revisiting George Hill

Would you re-do the Hill signing if you could?

• Total voters
So, let's go over this deal.

Kings were in rebuild mode, got rid of Cousins, and were drafting some core prospects. What did they need? They overpaid for:
-Veteran leadership
-Locker room presence
-Solid two way player

What did they get out of it? They got:
=Veteran leadership
-Locker room presence (but also discontent with role on the team)
-Underwhelming performance and consistency

It is safe to say he was the biggest disappointment on a team with low expectations. The end result was:

"The Kings traded guard George Hill to the Cleveland Cavaliers as part of a multi-team deal in which they received guard Iman Shumpert from Cleveland, forward Joe Johnson from Utah, a 2020 second-round draft pick from Miami and, according to league sources, a little more than $3 million in cash.

The Kings also waived second-year center Georgios Papagiannis, the 13th pick in the 2016 draft, to create a roster spot because they were already at the league maximum of 15 players."

How did that work out? The Kings knew they were going to lose, but wanted to get a "character" guy who could also play, and overpaid to get him without expecting to compete. How did that work out? Would you say it was a good move?

What is the point of this thread?
To evaluate past decisions by this front office. Would you agree that what Hill provided was worth the investment? Do you approve of what went down and what the Kings got in return? If you had to do it over again, would you re-do the deal?

He was insurance for whether or not Fox was ready. You do the deal at the time. In hindsight, Fox was pretty much ready so you dont need to do it. They saw the error and fixed it quickly. Water under the bridge.

I will say this. Watching Fox in that lone summer league game makes me think it was a solid investment. Dude straight up was the best player on the court quite easily. He not only did what he wanted, he made the game easier for everyone on the court especially Mason and Bagley. I think he will be better than Wall.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
With the benefit of hindsight do you re-do the deal? Probably not, but at the time it was considered a big signing for the team. I don't think there was any reason to expect the bad attitude be wound up having, because initially he seemed excited to be in Sacramento. Was he sold the wrong role or was he disillusioned because his own struggles lead to him having a less prominent role than expected? I don't know. Considering our inability to land a SF right now, I'm glad we have Shump on the roster until we don't.