REPORT: Bucks To Chase After Kings' Bogdan Bogdanovic

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ClutchPoints

After seeing their season end in utter disappointment, the Milwaukee Bucks are wasting no time in applying the necessary fine-tuning measures for their squad. According to reports, the Bucks have every intention of joining the race to sign Sacramento Kings guard Bogdan Bogdanovic. Per Shams Charania of The Athletic, Milwaukee has set their sights on the 28-year-old shooting guard: An expected strong suitor for Kings restricted free agent Bogdan Bogdanovic: The Milwaukee Bucks, sources said.

Continue reading...

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
And I fully expect Bogdan to ask the Kings to let him go. Man, the Kings really bungled their SG spot for no reason at all. None. Just simply bad coaching and personnel usage. Bogdan and Buddy were buds too and could've played next to eachother enough to make it work. Kangz.

And I fully expect Bogdan to ask the Kings to let him go. Man, the Kings really bungled their SG spot for no reason at all. None. Just simply bad coaching and personnel usage. Bogdan and Buddy were buds too and could've played next to eachother enough to make it work. Kangz.
So they just have to let him go if he asks? Is that what “restricted” means? The Kings need his permission to match?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm alright with the Kings front office moving on from Bogdan. He is too inconsistent for my liking and he is usually prone to miss games with injuries. That said, I'd hope they work out a sign and trade if they do decide to part ways.

I'm alright with the Kings front office moving on from Bogdan. He is too inconsistent for my liking and he is usually prone to miss games with injuries. That said, I'd hope they work out a sign and trade if they do decide to part ways.
Who would we target in a sign and trade with MIL though? They’re probably not moving on from Divinchenzo

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
So they just have to let him go if he asks? Is that what “restricted” means? The Kings need his permission to match?
They don't have to and the Bucks don't have much leverage but the Kings would continue to be the organization with the most bogged down cap with a history of players that want out while being overpaid to stay if they match whatever deal he gets. Haha. Even at MLE type money the Kings can't afford that if this all heads south because that's close to 10 million more when you already have Barnes, Buddy, and two impending rookie maxes looming. Look, personally if I were the Kings I'd look to do damage control on Buddy, let Bogdan go, then if the Buddy thing can't be repaired hopefully they've at least built some value back into him that will see the Kings getting something worthwhile back in a move. Not the bloated contract of an Al Horford type.

This is why last season's run being summed up by the blank look on Luke Waltons face was so frustrating. They didn't have the time to **** around. Vlade knows that now. Hopefully McNair already knows this. Keep things as is and weigh down that cap any further while minimizing the assets already on your cap and a potential 2-3 rebuild turns into a 3-4 year one if it comes to that. That's a big, big difference when you are already on the cusp of having to max out your last two lotto picks. They wasted time seeing if Buddy and Bogdan could work together, it's over, now they have to let that go. The smart plan is the easiest one. Don't sign any more duplicate players and build back up the one you already spent mega bucks on. Bogdan Bogdanovic could be a difference in some ways but if this team and COACH have it in them to be competitive next year they'll know it with or without him. Just in case though, no more spending sprees during the offseason. Start creating a rotation that at the very least sees an uptick in individual productivity so you can recoup something to kick start a rebuild should it be necessary.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Who would we target in a sign and trade with MIL though? They’re probably not moving on from Divinchenzo
I wouldn't look to add players. I'd look at doing what Philly did to Vlade. Give the Kings some future picks (NOT BS 2nd rounders! haha) and potential that could look really good if Giannis ever leaves town.

Bucks don't have cap to offer more than an MLE, which is an easy match from our perspective. If Bogdan commands 15 mil+ from someone ,you think about letting him walk. At 10 mil, letting him walk would be incredibly dumb and short-sighted.

If Bogdan decided to sign there, I think Ersan+Donte D for Bogdan would work cap wise with the likely MLE. Which I'd jump all over. Donte D is already better than Bogdan, 6 years younger and much better on defense. Would be a way to take advantage of a team that's in panic mode over trying to keep Giannis happy.

DDV + #24 + likely someone like George Hill. That's the framework that is being discussed on RealGM. Bucks are in the tax. They need to do a S&T. So this is a good thing for the Kings. Kings can either match or squeeze something out of it.

DDV + #24 + likely someone like George Hill. That's the framework that is being discussed on RealGM. Bucks are in the tax. They need to do a S&T. So this is a good thing for the Kings. Kings can either match or squeeze something out of it.
There is nothing we would have to match with the Bucks if we make qual offer to Bogie at 10.7m , don't Bucks have to offer more on an offer sheet?
Well, they cant and mid level exceptionat 9mil wont be enough. So only way is sign and trade.

So I would want the top deal DDV + Ersan(sal relief)+ 24th pick

I don't see Bucks giving up that much,
But I hope Kings don't let Bogie go for nothing either

Bogi signing an offer sheet with the Bucks would be a huge win for us in any direction. Either we get a S&T done for Donte D or picks (you won't get both)+a contract or we get Bogi at a super reasonable cost of around $10 mil/season. Win win.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Bucks don't have cap to offer more than an MLE, which is an easy match from our perspective. If Bogdan commands 15 mil+ from someone ,you think about letting him walk. At 10 mil, letting him walk would be incredibly dumb and short-sighted.

If Bogdan decided to sign there, I think Ersan+Donte D for Bogdan would work cap wise with the likely MLE. Which I'd jump all over. Donte D is already better than Bogdan, 6 years younger and much better on defense. Would be a way to take advantage of a team that's in panic mode over trying to keep Giannis happy.
If DDV is better than Bogi already, why would they make the deal?

If DDV is better than Bogi already, why would they make the deal?
DDV is not better than Bogi. That’s Foolish. Put Bogi on the court with Giannis and his numbers jump. Better shooter, similar distributor to DDV. Defensive metrics for Bogi jump when you have Giannis n Lopez (2x) chilling in the paint.

If I was a Bucks fan, I would balk, too, at the suggestion of DDV + #24. But at this point, it’s not value, it’s what others are willing to pay for Bogi (including the Kings matching). A bunch of teams can beat #24 or DDV alone. That’s the real metric.

And to be clear, IMO, Bogi > Buddy. Buddy is the better shooter, but not by much. Bogi destroys him in any other category. So if it was me, if the Buvks don’t pay your price, match Bogi, hold onto both if you need to, and trade them later. Trading them later is a real thing, because of how Cantenella structured the contracts. It’s not a coincidence that he’s still around while Vlade n Peja n Brandon Williams are elsewhere.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’m fine with it. I think Bogdan can help a contender as a final piece of the puzzle, but a team where he’s a massively paid part of the core? Lottery city.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I came to the same conclusion independently. The Bucks don't have a first-round pick to give until 2026, but they could pick "our guy" at #24 in anticipation of making a deal once free agency opens. Of course, that would be kinda collusion-y because while I suppose front offices are allowed to have these kind of discussions, neither team is supposed to be able to talk to the player. Working out a framework under the assumption that Bogdan will play ball is pretty iffy, so Milwaukee better hope they like the same players at #24 that we do.

In any case, it seems like a long shot that would likely end up as a big win for the Bucks and has a shot in the dark at being beneficial for the Kings.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I came to the same conclusion independently. The Bucks don't have a first-round pick to give until 2026, but they could pick "our guy" at #24 in anticipation of making a deal once free agency opens. Of course, that would be kinda collusion-y because while I suppose front offices are allowed to have these kind of discussions, neither team is supposed to be able to talk to the player. Working out a framework under the assumption that Bogdan will play ball is pretty iffy, so Milwaukee better hope they like the same players at #24 that we do.

In any case, it seems like a long shot that would likely end up as a big win for the Bucks and has a shot in the dark at being beneficial for the Kings.
How many players drafted in the first round are going to give up 4 years of guaranteed money to hold out if they don't like the team they end up on? Especially when there may not even be another venue to play organized basketball next year. Unless there's a rule against it, that doesn't seem like much of a risk. Then again, why wouldn't Milwaukee just keep their pick and call our bluff that we're not going to match whatever they plan on signing Bogdan for? I wonder if the accelerated timeline of this off-season will be a factor here. Waiting to see if a team is going to match could end up hand-cuffing you while everyone else is taken off the market.

On the topic of should we or shouldn't we match... I think anybody building a team right now has got to be thinking: (1) Get a star player who can dominate offensively (2) Get at least 3 rotation shooters to fit around them (3) Get versatile defenders who can swing between the wing and forward positions and effectively eat up space quickly in a switching scheme. Subtracting Buddy and/or Bogdan means removing two players who fit that second category so you'd better be replacing them with someone similar or packaging them with other assets to get your star or getting rangy defenders and trusting that you can get more shooters elsewhere. Of the two, Bogdan is the more easily replaceable but regardless that will leave a gap in our rotation that needs to be filled somehow.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
How many players drafted in the first round are going to give up 4 years of guaranteed money to hold out if they don't like the team they end up on? Especially when there may not even be another venue to play organized basketball next year. Unless there's a rule against it, that doesn't seem like much of a risk.
I believe you misunderstood me. I am not suggesting that a player drafted by Milwaukee might refuse to play for the Kings.

I am saying that because the draft comes before free agency, the Kings and the Bucks in principle can't talk to Bogdan before the draft about his free agency preferences. Neither team would know whether Bogdan wants to agree to a sign-and-trade with the Bucks prior to the #24 pick being made. This makes designing sign-and-trades that involve the #24 tricky, because the Bucks may not select a player the Kings want. The Kings could tell the Bucks who they want, but if the Bucks don't think a trade is likely, they might pick a different guy that the Kings aren't interested in. At that point, the Kings might decide that Milwaukee's return package isn't good enough, and not make a S&T.

Then again, why wouldn't Milwaukee just keep their pick and call our bluff that we're not going to match whatever they plan on signing Bogdan for?
Because they are over the salary cap and can't offer more than the MLE, and we'll obviously match that. With respect to a potential Bucks pursuit of Bogdan, the Kings have the overwhelming upper hand in the situation.

Hey Cap,
Are the Kings not allowed to talk to their own free agents or is it just that teams can't talk to targets with other teams?

I think I need a refresh on the S&T rules as well. If a third club made a market offer - can we still S&T with the Bucks, or is it just match and keep him, or let him go?

I believe you misunderstood me. I am not suggesting that a player drafted by Milwaukee might refuse to play for the Kings.

I am saying that because the draft comes before free agency, the Kings and the Bucks in principle can't talk to Bogdan before the draft about his free agency preferences. Neither team would know whether Bogdan wants to agree to a sign-and-trade with the Bucks prior to the #24 pick being made. This makes designing sign-and-trades that involve the #24 tricky, because the Bucks may not select a player the Kings want. The Kings could tell the Bucks who they want, but if the Bucks don't think a trade is likely, they might pick a different guy that the Kings aren't interested in. At that point, the Kings might decide that Milwaukee's return package isn't good enough, and not make a S&T.

Because they are over the salary cap and can't offer more than the MLE, and we'll obviously match that. With respect to a potential Bucks pursuit of Bogdan, the Kings have the overwhelming upper hand in the situation.

10 million a year basically? I don't think the Bucks have hit the apron so that means about that if true unless that deal means they can't offer a full MLE because they hit in the apron in the process. As is, I can't see that as a smart move with a new GM looking for flexibility and a SG position where neither player is exactly happy nor does it look like they can make happy at the same time while getting about 25% of your cap with two max rookie extensions looming.

I have my quibbles with the Houston School of GMing, but these guys don’t get played in free agency and they don’t leak value in trades. We may or may not pick the right guy at #12 (that’ll probably be Wilcox’s deal to be honest), but Buddy and Bogi will either perform here or get leveraged for maximum value. Full stop. If McNair gets rooked on either of their deals I’ll be stunned. And I don’t think either of them finish next season in a Kings uniform.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Hey Cap,
Are the Kings not allowed to talk to their own free agents or is it just that teams can't talk to targets with other teams?

I think I need a refresh on the S&T rules as well. If a third club made a market offer - can we still S&T with the Bucks, or is it just match and keep him, or let him go?
Actually, I'm pretty sure the Kings ARE allowed to talk to their own free agents. Whether that extends to discussing possible S&Ts...well, I suppose it would be impossible to rule that out. So I suppose there is that route.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
10 million a year basically? I don't think the Bucks have hit the apron so that means about that if true unless that deal means they can't offer a full MLE because they hit in the apron in the process. As is, I can't see that as a smart move with a new GM looking for flexibility and a SG position where neither player is exactly happy nor does it look like they can make happy at the same time while getting about 25% of your cap with two max rookie extensions looming.
The MLE is supposed to be about $9.7M, so call it $10M. In today's market, that's a steal for Bogdan. It doesn't matter that we've already got Buddy locked up, if Bogdan miraculously signed a contract for the MLE, we would have to instantly match it. We offered him an extension last offseason that started at like $15-16M if I recall, and he declined, so I'd say that him accepting an MLE is an unlikely turn of events anyway.

Hey Cap,

Once he signs an offer sheet the only option is to match or not. A sign and trade is no longer an option.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer

Ah I see. Well that's on me then for failing to do my research! At this point I just can't be bothered, but your consistent attention to detail is appreciated as always. That makes this a rather bizarre rumor. So Milwaukee has every intention of doing a thing that they currently are unable to do? Okay guys, excuse me while I try to unroll my eyes...

Also, I did look up Milwaukee's contract situation now and threw up in my mouth a bit when I saw how much they're paying Khris Middleton. If I'm in the Milwaukee front office and I just watched my unbeatable regular-season juggernaut get exposed in the playoffs yet again I would be worried about how I'm going to be able to afford an enormous MVP-worthy Giannis extension in the near future not dumping salary to free up space to then overpay a pretty good role-player. If the Bucks have now entered that awkward phase where they're actively sabotaging their own future in a desperate bid to convince the superstar they drafted and developed to stick around, they've already lost. I can't recall an example of this type of panic buying turning out well for an NBA executive. If Giannis is not going to commit to them long-term unless they can prove right now that they're a legit contender, they might be better off shopping him for max value and reshuffling the deck.

If it were Vlade, I can see Vlade letting someone walk for no return, just as a favor to a player.

I'm hoping that McNair is not the same. I'm hoping if Bogdan leaves, the Kings can at least get a good draft pick and/or a promising young player in return. We can't let good assets walk without getting something good in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.