Rebuild Strategy (or WE WANT LINS!)

How would you like the rebuild handled?

• Wouldn't change a thing. Joeger and Vlade doing it right.

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Only youth plays no vets

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Somewhere in the middle

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings can land anywhere between 1 and 10 in the draft.

It’s a little premature to speak about Ayton, Porter, Doncic, Bagley, Bridges, etc as a possible King. With the Kings luck they end up with Bamba.

Dallas, Memphis, Chicago, Orlando, Atlanta, Memphis, and Brooklyn will all be gunning for the same players.
No, it's never too early for some to ruminate on the possibilities. If we hadn't been doing that over the past decade or so, it would have gotten really boring around here.

Dang it. Meaningless win over the Bulls. Helps the Bulls with their Lin chase. Hurts our cause. Should I be impressed with how they fought back from a disasterous 1st quarter and sqeaked out a win at the end, a very good lesson in learning how to win for the youngsters, no doubt? Well, I don't buy it. The Bulls proved they can be worse than us when they need to be. We proved that we don't have (or may not have) the discipline to finish in the bottom three, and maybe not even in the bottom seven.

yay. just 1.5 games back from 8th in the lotto. i love these wins so much. they'll help our future. ZBo, Temple, Hill, and other guys who won't be on this team 2 years from now is doing a great job in teaching basketball players how to win basketball games. yay.

Kings can land anywhere between 1 and 10 in the draft.

It’s a little premature to speak about Ayton, Porter, Doncic, Bagley, Bridges, etc as a possible King. With the Kings luck they end up with Bamba.

Dallas, Memphis, Chicago, Orlando, Atlanta, Memphis, and Brooklyn will all be gunning for the same players.
When you are at
Buddy, Bogie, and Willie won the game down the stretch fwiw
Bogdan, Hill and Temple were our top scorers.

Dang it. Meaningless win over the Bulls. Helps the Bulls with their Lin chase. Hurts our cause. Should I be impressed with how they fought back from a disasterous 1st quarter and sqeaked out a win at the end, a very good lesson in learning how to win for the youngsters, no doubt? Well, I don't buy it. The Bulls proved they can be worse than us when they need to be. We proved that we don't have (or may not have) the discipline to finish in the bottom three, and maybe not even in the bottom seven.
The Bulls really missed Kris Dunn and Lauri Markkanen. I think if they had those two players on court last night then we might not have come away with the victory. Admittedly you can only beat what is put in front of you but their absence certainly hurt them and helped us.

As for it being a meaningless win, I would tend to disagree, much like I disagreed with other 49ers fans over last season's winning run to end the season. The best thing for young developing teams is to learn how to win and benefit from that experience. I believe that the 49ers will benefit from that winning run, much like our Kings should benefit from games like this in which they learn how to comeback and close out a game. Obviously winning too many games can hurt our odds in the lottery but realistically this year's class looks fairly deep and the difference between the 1st overall pick and the 5th pick might not be that great. For example, let's say the top five mirrors nbadraft.net's current mock:

#1 Ayton (Hawks), #2 Bagley (Magic), #3 Porter (Mavs), #4 Doncic (Kings), #5 Young (Suns)

As top fives go that is pretty well balanced in regards to the prospects. An argument can be made for any of those five players to go first overall. From a fit perspective we can debate which prospects fits our needs best, but I think for the most part we would be happy to walk away from this year's draft with any of those players.

Let's add the next five picks:

#6 Jackson Jr (Bulls), #7 Bamba (Grizzlies), #8 Carter (Cavs), #9 Sexton (76ers), #10 Knox (Hornets)

Usually the #6-10 range can sometimes see a fairly steep fall, but in this case there is potential for one of these players to jump into the top five. I have seen Mohamed Bamba mocked in the top five. He is a player with a ton of potential at both ends. There is even Mikal Bridges who is a potential top ten pick and there is a lot to like about he brings to the table. Ideally we do not want to drop out of the top five because there is a bit of a fall from the top five to the next five or so guys, in some cases they have upside but need time and development, or alternatively there are doubts over certain parts of their game. However, would it be the end of the world if we ended up with Bamba or Bridges? Not really because they have the potential and skill set to develop into good players with the right coaching and personal development.

Now I do agree that failing to secure a top five pick would be a bad thing for this team, but we have seen players taken outside the top five and ten make big impacts in the league in recent years like Donovan Mitchell, Myles Turner, and Devin Booker. All three of those players are key pieces for their teams going forward. So maybe we can find one of those special players if we end up playing ourselves out of a top five pick, or just end up being very unlucky with how the lotto balls fall. But the thing I would say regarding wins like this is not to fret because it is a good thing for our young players and this year's class looks fairly deep with a handful of players that could go first overall, and a few others outside that top five that have top five potential if someone falls in love with them.

The Bulls really missed Kris Dunn and Lauri Markkanen. I think if they had those two players on court last night then we might not have come away with the victory. Admittedly you can only beat what is put in front of you but their absence certainly hurt them and helped us.

As for it being a meaningless win, I would tend to disagree, much like I disagreed with other 49ers fans over last season's winning run to end the season. The best thing for young developing teams is to learn how to win and benefit from that experience. I believe that the 49ers will benefit from that winning run, much like our Kings should benefit from games like this in which they learn how to comeback and close out a game. Obviously winning too many games can hurt our odds in the lottery but realistically this year's class looks fairly deep and the difference between the 1st overall pick and the 5th pick might not be that great. For example, let's say the top five mirrors nbadraft.net's current mock:

#1 Ayton (Hawks), #2 Bagley (Magic), #3 Porter (Mavs), #4 Doncic (Kings), #5 Young (Suns)

As top fives go that is pretty well balanced in regards to the prospects. An argument can be made for any of those five players to go first overall. From a fit perspective we can debate which prospects fits our needs best, but I think for the most part we would be happy to walk away from this year's draft with any of those players.

#6 Jackson Jr (Bulls), #7 Bamba (Grizzlies), #8 Carter (Cavs), #9 Sexton (76ers), #10 Knox (Hornets)

Usually the #6-10 range can sometimes see a fairly steep fall, but in this case there is potential for one of these players to jump into the top five. I have seen Mohamed Bamba mocked in the top five. He is a player with a ton of potential at both ends. There is even Mikal Bridges who is a potential top ten pick and there is a lot to like about he brings to the table. Ideally we do not want to drop out of the top five because there is a bit of a fall from the top five to the next five or so guys, in some cases they have upside but need time and development, or alternatively there are doubts over certain parts of their game. However, would it be the end of the world if we ended up with Bamba or Bridges? Not really because they have the potential and skill set to develop into good players with the right coaching and personal development.

Now I do agree that failing to secure a top five pick would be a bad thing for this team, but we have seen players taken outside the top five and ten make big impacts in the league in recent years like Donovan Mitchell, Myles Turner, and Devin Booker. All three of those players are key pieces for their teams going forward. So maybe we can find one of those special players if we end up playing ourselves out of a top five pick, or just end up being very unlucky with how the lotto balls fall. But the thing I would say regarding wins like this is not to fret because it is a good thing for our young players and this year's class looks fairly deep with a handful of players that could go first overall, and a few others outside that top five that have top five potential if someone falls in love with them.
We'll have to disagree on whether beating the Bulls was a meaningless win. I usually *feel it* when we win a game that goes against the ping pong balls but seems good for growth. Last nights game just didn't give me the feeling! But you could be right.
In terms of where we pick, of course there's a chance of picking the top player in the draft at #30. But this year (for the first time I can recall) I want us to be able to pick from that top five. Wouldn't it be great if Fox, Bogie, Giles, WCS & this year's top five rookie all became all-star caliber players??? And Hield was our deadly instant offense guy??? Maybe I just want too much. But there it is.

We'll have to disagree on whether beating the Bulls was a meaningless win. I usually *feel it* when we win a game that goes against the ping pong balls but seems good for growth. Last nights game just didn't give me the feeling! But you could be right.
In terms of where we pick, of course there's a chance of picking the top player in the draft at #30. But this year (for the first time I can recall) I want us to be able to pick from that top five. Wouldn't it be great if Fox, Bogie, Giles, WCS & this year's top five rookie all became all-star caliber players??? And Hield was our deadly instant offense guy??? Maybe I just want too much. But there it is.
In an ideal world we'll see development from our young players and land a top five pick that becomes a franchising changing player.

With that said I won't get too worked up if we win some games with our young players taking that next step and ending up a lower pick. I can't see us falling out of the top ten. For me there are options in that 6-10 range that have appeal, they might require a bit of polish, but perhaps we get a gem that others ignore or underestimate, or we get lucky and someone falls like Porter because of injury concerns. This is one year where the difference between 1-5 is not significant to make me want an all out tank, and while falling out of the top five would be disappoining I still think we could get another piece to the puzzle.

Anyway, it's going to be interesting to watch how the rest of our season unfolds.

One team that’s almost guaranteed to drop pretty rapidly is going to be the Knicks now without Porzingis. The Knicks are really an awful team and I would not be surprised to see them end up in the bottom 3 now by seasons end.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
One team that’s almost guaranteed to drop pretty rapidly is going to be the Knicks now without Porzingis. The Knicks are really an awful team and I would not be surprised to see them end up in the bottom 3 now by seasons end.
Never underestimate the Knicks ability to completely Kangz things up though. This may be the year they accidentally make the playoffs.

I think Jackson belongs in the first group with Porter a ? due to his back. The second group isn’t nearly as strong 5-10 as last years class, but the first group is stronger.

..perhaps we get a gem that others ignore or underestimate, or we get lucky and someone falls like Porter because of injury concerns.
Oh I would LOVE to see Michael Porter Jr on the Kings. His back issue was an old injury he had never gotten taken care of, and he rehabbed it so that he'd be 100% before the start of the season. Bad for Mizzou, but a smart decision for his future. I'm betting we'll be able to see him in action in another month or so, probably when Mizzou plays Kentucky. Great kid, team player, excellent attitude, and reportedly elite skills.

Never underestimate the Knicks ability to completely Kangz things up though. This may be the year they accidentally make the playoffs.
Porzingis' injury is going to change things for them. They should be sellers now going into the deadline trying to unload the likes of Jarrett Jack, Courtney Lee, Michael Beasley, Kyle O'Quinn and Enes Kanter. They might be able to get picks or young talent in exchange and free up minutes. Though their first move has been to trade Hernangomez for a pair of second round picks and a player from Charlotte. I think the tank is on for them.

No need to rush. They will be valuable expiring contracts next year. Then we trade them for picks

You're statement is flawed. Kings will get next to zero for Randolph next year. Nobody is going to want a 38 year old power forward who can't move anymore.
Temple and Koufas with get you a couple of worthless 2 round picks. VC will be retired.

It's not a questions of LINS. It's leaning on the the Vets for too many minutes. Joerger will continue to do it the rest of the year. Especially, with Zbo. Temple, Koufas, and VC will also have impactful games. Why, because they are still good NBA players.

Joerger will continue to play the Vets significant minutes. This to the detriment of the young players. Getting 27-32 wins every year will yield a 7-10 pick guaranteed. This team needs the best possible shot at another All Star. I only see one on this team that could have that potential: Fox

Bogdan and Hield are nice players, but are never going to All Stars. You can book that. WCS is way too inconsistent. Just look at his last 3 games. it's typical. Great/Good free agents are not coming to Sac. They never have and They will not until this team is a playoff threat.

Getting a Top5 pick is imperative to this teams future success.

You're statement is flawed. Kings will get next to zero for Randolph next year. Nobody is going to want a 38 year old power forward who can't move anymore.
Temple and Koufas with get you a couple of worthless 2 round picks. VC will be retired.

It's not a questions of LINS. It's leaning on the the Vets for too many minutes. Joerger will continue to do it the rest of the year. Especially, with Zbo. Temple, Koufas, and VC will also have impactful games. Why, because they are still good NBA players.

Joerger will continue to play the Vets significant minutes. This to the detriment of the young players. Getting 27-32 wins every year will yield a 7-10 pick guaranteed. This team needs the best possible shot at another All Star. I only see one on this team that could have that potential: Fox

Bogdan and Hield are nice players, but are never going to All Stars. You can book that. WCS is way too inconsistent. Just look at his last 3 games. it's typical. Great/Good free agents are not coming to Sac. They never have and They will not until this team is a playoff threat.

Getting a Top5 pick is imperative to this teams future success.
I agree getting a top 5 pick is critical but I don’t think you have to give up Hill to do it.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Getting kind of tired seeing fans asking for "Lins" every year.
I hate having nothing to get excited about but lins, myself (see sig). But until our whack FO can figure it out enough to set us up for a playoff push, I'd rather we get one of this year's stud prospects (there's like, 6 of them) than whatever bust we'd doubtless draft at pick 12 with another 30 win season.

Look on the bright side, thanks to Vlade none of us have a reason to root for lins next season!