Rebuild Strategy (or WE WANT LINS!)

How would you like the rebuild handled?

• Wouldn't change a thing. Joeger and Vlade doing it right.

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Only youth plays no vets

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Somewhere in the middle

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So is the consensus here in this thread that it is best for the Kings to lose very game for the rest of the season?

They currently have only 16 wins. The worst team has 14 wins and the Kings are in the bottom 4 in wins total as it stands. Is the gnashing of teeth going to be heard if there is ever a win?

There is a group of hardcore tankers who claim this thread. And then there are others (like myself) who want a top 5 draft pick but prefer to play the youngsters rather than tank. We sometimes seem to be on the same page, and sometimes not.
I generally enjoy winning and detest losing, but I don’t want to win the 9th pick of the draft on the backs of our veterans.

So is the consensus here in this thread that it is best for the Kings to lose very game for the rest of the season?

They currently have only 16 wins. The worst team has 14 wins and the Kings are in the bottom 4 in wins total as it stands. Is the gnashing of teeth going to be heard if there is ever a win?
Just lose enough to have the worst record in the league by 1 game is all.

If Fox turns into a monster in the second half of his rookie season, Buddy/JJ/Bogdan/Skal etc look good, I don’t mind the 7th or 8th pick. It just can’t be on the backs of players who won’t be here past this or next season

There is a group of hardcore tankers who claim this thread. And then there are others (like myself) who want a top 5 draft pick but prefer to play the youngsters rather than tank. We sometimes seem to be on the same page, and sometimes not.
I generally enjoy winning and detest losing, but I don’t want to win the 9th pick of the draft on the backs of our veterans.
Just lose enough to have the worst record in the league by 1 game is all.
If Fox turns into a monster in the second half of his rookie season, Buddy/JJ/Bogdan/Skal etc look good, I don’t mind the 7th or 8th pick. It just can’t be on the backs of players who won’t be here past this or next season
You know I don't think we disagree all that much:) I want a good draft pick this year. Also I would like to see 1 or more of the veterans traded if the deal makes sense. Plus I want to see the young fellas play more and I want them shooting the three ball at a high rate. I have noticed the young fellas are all starting to improve their defense. Fox and Jackson have looked good on D the last few games. I can't wait for Mason to get back as well.

This has been agreed on I think everyone is 100 with that not Temple and ZBo

What he/she said

The morale on this team is great and player development is stellar amidst the losses. Joerger said he would do what's best for the franchise, so if Fox turns into a monster, I would expect a lot of Papa time to even it out.

Other teams are now officially in tank mode as many have said they are resting players. It's a race to the bottom and we need to win. Just one last tank, then it's off to the promised land!

When its all said and done there are these things to consider going forward

- Youngsters, unless cut down with injuries, will play more minutes after the trade deadline
- There is a chance that some of the veterans and even youngsters might be traded over the next week
- This team is not good (i.e. the young guys need time to mature and develop but there is some talent there) so by this very nature, along with point 1, this team will lose more games than they are going to win for the rest of the season.

I think it is important to set the culture and the tone going forward. There needs to an overhaul of the whole approach compared to years gone by. Losing is bad, effort needs to be consistent. We need to drive the culture of elite habits, elite habits deliver elite performance. While I would like a top 3 pick this year, I want us to play the kids, go ut and try to win every game with these kids and deal with where the chips fall. Basketball gods will take care of the rest. I think we are genuinely bad enough to get a top 3 pick despite going out there to win every game. In other words, we can have our cake and eat it too. :D

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm with you. If we win because of the kids, it means Vlade drafted well and we have a bright future with Fox, WCS, JJ, Skal.... whoever. A top pick would just be gravy. Bird in the hand worth more than 2 in the bush and all that.

Temple, Hill or Randolph getting wins is bad business though. This isnt an ordinary draft. The top 5 (some say 8) is loaded. It's not nearly the crapshoot the anti-lin crowd makes it out to be. Not this year. And with so many bad teams this year, we could very easily get Z-bo'd into a pick in the teens.

If Fox wants to ruin our lotto odds, that's fine. Means he's balling out and carrying the team like a franchise player. But that hasn't been the case in our wins this year.

Temple, Hill or Randolph getting wins is bad business though. This isnt an ordinary draft. The top 5 (some say 8) is loaded.

If Fox wants to ruin our lotto odds, that's fine. Means he's balling out and carrying the team like a franchise player. But that hasn't been the case in our wins this year.
I think this is a good solid summary of the sentiment around here.

I like winning. I really like Z and Temple and actually see them balling us to many wins - i wish they were here when winning actually mattered to this franchise, not now when player development and adding young talent is priority number 1. All ill say is at some point we need to realize that this draft is really a big deal and we need to be right at the top.

This draft is not a whole normal process piece. Its real deal. Franchise changing

I believe everyone on the Dubs is healthy and ready to play tonite. The Dubs were destroyed by the Jazz a few nights ago. So, I am sure they are going to come out really pissed off. Kerr will have them ready. Kings always play the Warriors tough. Curry and Durant did not play in that first game. I think it will be a little different this time around, though.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I am genuinely curious about what a team consisting only of the young guns could do for the rest of the season. Sure, I think they would fall flat on their faces against very good teams most of the time. But I think there would be more surprises on the upside than the downside against the non-very good teams in the NBA. I sure would like to see the hypothesis tested. Let the chips fall where they may with the youngins!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I suspect there may be much weeping, gnashing of teeth, and burning of sack cloth by our LIN brethren after tonight's game. Kings have been showing a lot of progress and the young guys may push the Kings over the edge for the win with a little help from the vets. I was going to put this in the Mavs game thread, but then I thought better of it and didn't want VF to whup up on me :D:p
VERY astute of you. ;)

Kings can land anywhere between 1 and 10 in the draft.

It’s a little premature to speak about Ayton, Porter, Doncic, Bagley, Bridges, etc as a possible King. With the Kings luck they end up with Bamba.

Dallas, Memphis, Chicago, Orlando, Atlanta, Memphis, and Brooklyn will all be gunning for the same players.