"Probably the fastest team in the history of the NBA"

Thats what Draymond Green said after the game about the Kings. Figured that comment is worth a thread.

When we were last playing the Heat their broadcasters said "They have the fastest PG and C in the league in Fox and Cauley-Stein"

Where exactly does Marvin's raw speed rank amongst PF's? surely very close to the top.

Durant had a lot of nice things to say too. Once the Kings learn to slow down in key situations, they'll truly be a rival of GSW.
It really depends what you mean by this. If you mean that we'll be able to close out some games against them, you could be right, as it appears we're a tough matchup for them. If you're saying we'll be as good as them, that's a stretch. They're arguably the best team ever. Maybe they're not, but it's debatable. We're not even close to that conversation.

Runnning with GS works. Cousins and the rest of their bigs did not dominate the Kings like Denver did.
The Kings gave GS all they wanted. They played defense. The Kings outrebounded GS.
They just had trouble with the 3.
The KIngs have obviously earned the respect of GS. By extension you could say the rest of the league too.
I thought when Durant patted Bagley on the chest it was a big moment for the him and the Kings.

Thats what Draymond Green said after the game about the Kings. Figured that comment is worth a thread.

When we were last playing the Heat their broadcasters said "They have the fastest PG and C in the league in Fox and Cauley-Stein"

Where exactly does Marvin's raw speed rank amongst PF's? surely very close to the top.
Off the top of my head I'm not sure I can think of any faster PFs right now. Siakam is pretty fast.

Edit: Not sure what position Giannis is classified these days. If you consider him a PF then he is easily at the top.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure I can think of any faster PFs right now. Siakam is pretty fast.
Not any guys listed at 6'11", thats for sure.... well, other than Giannis.. The guys you'll find at PF who can approach Marvin's speed are mostly SF/PF tweener types like a Josh Jackson..

Raw speed for big guys is an odd thing to measure, because there are fringe guys and end fo the bench guys and d-league types who actually could rate out quite highly, for example Derrick Jones Jr and Chris McCullough --- the thing with Marvin is that he's got refined speed, he knows what to do with it, much better spatial awareness than most and that's what really puts him in another class.

The key thing when we're talking the Kings speed, and the leading the league in fastbreak points, is Fox though. He is the top pace-setter in the league and will be for some time.

I thought when Durant patted Bagley on the chest it was a big moment for the him and the Kings.
He also bristled a bit in the post game interview when there was a question that was basically how was it to go back and forth with Bagley. To which Durant said he didn't really think it was back and forth since he blocked him five times....But, the point is taken. I think Durant in particular (and Green surprisingly) seem to have a lot of respect for what the Kings are doing.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
praise from around the association is always nice. I suppose the Kings can grow into this type of identity and just run teams out the gym. whether that's successful long term remains to be seen for this core but it's the strength of Fox and so that's how it goes.

The Kings can run and they are relentless about it. I am starting to love their fast break on a made basket. It is their trademark.

It is very useful to go back to the NBA in the 1980s and watch the speed of those games. There were a lot of slightly built players then that did not spend time in the weight room. They were like thorobreds that could really get up and down. Guys like Gervin, Wilkes. Maybe what is old is new again.

We can all say how fast the Kings are and listen to commentators describe the alarming pace that Kings run at. But, hearing opposing teams/players speak of the breakneck speeds the Kings run at is indicative of what is actually going on. None of us will ever know what it feels like to participate in an NBA game and having giant bodies slam into you while running up and down the court is exhausting. The Kings are sprinting down your throat on every damn possession. You can be stronger, more talented, etc., but holy cow will that wear out any mortal human being.

Since the Kings are the fastest break team in the NBA...it's important to sign players that can deal with that pace in the summer. You don't want to invest in a great center that can't run lol or can run but have a hard time concentrating in shooting in a frantic pace lol. I honestly don't mind replacing Cauley-Stein with DeAndre Jordan as he is more effective defensive and an intimidator inside the paint. Cauley-Stein tend to be out of control when it comes to doing a force layup, missing way too many; his help defense and awareness is dismal.

Considering we haven't been able to break through and take command of a playoff spot, is it perhaps possible that we play a little too fast? Is playing extremely fast a compliment if you arent winning games that you should?

I think we might just have the fastest baseline to baseline ball handler in NBA history in Fox and the fastest b-2-b big man ball handler in NBA history in Marvin.

Build around them with speed, athleticism, and spacing. Coach em up on how to use their gifts to play elite defense and boom we seize the title as the next model for a modern NBA roster

Considering we haven't been able to break through and take command of a playoff spot, is it perhaps possible that we play a little too fast? Is playing extremely fast a compliment if you arent winning games that you should?
Do you think the Kings are succeeding relative to expectations this season: (a) because of their pace, or (b) in spite of their pace?

I think at times we may, because occasionally they let speed supersede control. Always have to be in control, then feel free to hit the afterburners.

Case in point: Buddy going for the loose ball in the last game. Before he even has control of the ball, he is trying to dribble it and start the break. He ends up losing it out of bounds. Great idea, but get control first. Small example, but it's the little things that add up in a game decided by a few points in the end.

Our speed has become our identity and calling card, one which I embrace emphatically. Honing it will come with time, from season to season. Have to remember, this is new even for the coach, and he has done an admirable job adjusting from last season to this one. Just imagine how we might look two or three seasons from now, assuming we have the same coaching staff . Which, barring anything unforeseeable to me at this time, we should.

HOw do you decide that we are losing games we should win?

HOw do you decide that we are losing games we should win?
For example, Minnesota is a lower seeded team than we are and we lost to them. It suffices to say that during a late season playoff push that we should beat Minnesota, even if it's on the road. This comes the perspective of thinking that we are a good team.

Do you think the Kings are succeeding relative to expectations this season: (a) because of their pace, or (b) in spite of their pace?
I don't really consider the framing of "despite expectations this season" to be a part of any metric. The Kings are not succeeding because they play fast; they're succeeding because they are good and happen to play fast. To assert that fast teams are good because they're fast doesn't work, then you could just make any ole garbage team play fast and they would win. So then, we are succeeding because we have good players that are more or less being used properly. My question was more about marginal changes to the speed at which we play, not playing fast versus playing slow. After thinking about it, it just comes down to a lack of experience of playing good NBA level ball. Too often it looks like we aren't getting the best shot.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
For example, Minnesota is a lower seeded team than we are and we lost to them. It suffices to say that during a late season playoff push that we should beat Minnesota, even if it's on the road. This comes the perspective of thinking that we are a good team.
well if you use that type of example then the 3 seed OKC lost to the 9th seed in Sacramento at home. The West is tough from 1-13

The Kings are fast, but they are not sneaking up on anyone. The word is out.
Make Fox play defense and be physical with him. Keep track of Buddy and make him dribble. Beat Bogdan with the dribble. Lean on Willie and wear him out, let him shoot, watch out for him leaking on the break. Be physical with Giles and Bagley.

The good teams have adjusted to the Kings style of play. They have done a good job of exploiting weaknesses. The Kings are only going to get better. They will continue to play fast, because it has been effective. Turning Da Fox loose is a smart thing to do.