Power Rankings, Week of 11/21

What are we thankful for?

• Total voters
old_guys_6.gif
I'm ready to stuff this bird.
Not too much to say. I think the Kings are getting better, but the record doesn't seem to show it. Hopefully the easing up of the schedule will let us know a little more. On to the rankings!

NBA.com
#19 (+2)
The Kings hold the secret to slowing down DeMar DeRozan, having held him to 10-for-35 shooting as they swept their season series with the Raptors. After having some success in losses to the Spurs and Clippers playing small, they started that way (with Matt Barnes and Rudy Gay at the forward positions) on Sunday. They've been outscored by 8.1 points per 100 possessions in 235 minutes when DeMarcus Cousins has shared the floor with another big man, but have outscored their opponents by 9.0 per 100 in 172 minutes with Cousins at the five and Rudy Gay at the four.

ESPN
#25 (NC)
The Kings clearly need more Sunday night games against Toronto. Twice this month, Sacramento has lugged a four-game skid into the final hours of the weekend against the Raptors and promptly manufactured a win few expected. Of course, it should also be noted that the Kings have held the Raps under 100 points in both meetings, something they've managed only twice in their other 12 games. The Kings' D (29th overall) shouldn't be so weak when they're playing at a bottom-five pace.

CBS Sports
#26 (NC)
The rotation seems disgruntled, the losses have piled up, the plan seems in disarray. So of course they went out and nabbed their best win of the season against the Raptors Sunday.

NBC Sports
#24 (-3)
They had lost four in a row before getting a quality win over the Raptors Sunday, which happened when they moved Rudy Gay to the four to start. The story with the Kings is fairly simple: When DeMarcus Cousins is on the court the Kings get outscored by 1.7 points per 100 possessions (very close to playing teams even), when he sits they get outscored by 13.7 per 100. Also, when Cousins and Rudy Gay are on the court together the Kings are +3.4 per 100.

Sports Illustrated
#22 (-1)
Dave Joerger says he wants to play small ball now. That seems like a worthwhile experiment, except that there are still like five centers on this roster, and one of them is going to play most of the time and is named Boogie Cousins.

Mean Ranking: 23.2
May your Thursday coma not be induced by Kings basketball.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
They've been outscored by 8.1 points per 100 possessions in 235 minutes when DeMarcus Cousins has shared the floor with another big man, but have outscored their opponents by 9.0 per 100 in 172 minutes with Cousins at the five and Rudy Gay at the four.
When DeMarcus Cousins is on the court the Kings get outscored by 1.7 points per 100 possessions (very close to playing teams even), when he sits they get outscored by 13.7 per 100. Also, when Cousins and Rudy Gay are on the court together the Kings are +3.4 per 100.
now the Rudy Gay as "PF" thing is likely a bit of a misnomer, as people stubbornly like to accuse him of being a "PF" even when Barnes is on the floor with him. But he did have the long successful run against Blake.

Regardless though while some of the results are headscratchers, I think it might be time for one of those annual +/- threads, because some of the numbers are really stark.

The Kings played this way most of last year. It makes sense they would be accustomed to it. If we had kept last years coach they might be winning some games that way. They looked lost a lot of the time in Jorgers big line up. But maybe they should stick to it. Due to self inflicted woulds the team always has it's back against the clock. I did like yesterdays win. Pace was exciting.

http://www.kouponkaren.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Pace-Picante-Sauce.jpg
+
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c7/SacramentoKings.svg
=
http://www.waterfall.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/Crazy-Duke-basketball-fan.jpg