[POLL] Why do you root for your favorite college?

Why do you root for your favorite college/university?

• My favorite professional athlete went to school there.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a front runner.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
After "hijacking" 6th's NCAA Basketball thread, I got to thinking about this. Actually, it's something that I've thought about for a while now, but it's never bothered me enough to want to ask other people. I root for Georgia Tech, for example, because I went to school there; my best friend roots for Maryland because it was the closest major university to where he grew up.

Why do you root for the college that you root for?

I root for UGA because I went there plus they are the best team in the state;) and the SEC. UCLA because my best friend from high school went there and I was supposed to but finances didn't allow it.
I also like Michigan and UNC because of my 2 favorite bball players

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I root for the University of Illinois because it is my home state school (of my birth) and my brother and a niece and a nephew graduated from there. I remember cheering for the Fighting Illini even in my youth.

I graduated from the University of San Francisco. It is a private college and it's sports programs have never been all that great. So, nothing really to root for there. :eek:

Besides USC being in SoCal, (where I'm from, for those of you who don't know), generations of my family have taught there, my mother went there and many of my friends also attended.
Like loopy, finances didn't allow me to go there.

My wife and I both went to UC Santa Barbara and that's the only college we root for. They don't have a football program, which is probably why I really have no interest in college football. We have to stick to their basketball and volleyball teams.

Go Gauchos!

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
GT Final Four appearances: 2
UGA Final Four appearances: 1

ACC Basketball Championships: 10
SEC Basketball Championships: 8

I was referring to football, you didn't specify which sport. We're not so great in bball:(, ACC is definitely better than SEC.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
loopymitch said:

I was referring to football, you didn't specify which sport. We're not so great in bball:(, ACC is definitely better than SEC.
And the Big 10 is better than them both.:D

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
loopymitch said:

I was referring to football...
Nobody cares about football... :p

6th said:
And the Big 10 is better than them both.
Big 10 Basketball Championships: 10

Looks dead even to me; and the Big 10's only won once since the 80's. So there.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Mr. S£im Citrus said:

hehehehe!!

loopymitch said:

:eek: :(
I do and so do Texas fans right now.
you are absolutely right.. Me and everyone else here in Austin definetely LOVE football right now.. I simply cannot wait until out boys come back in Austin as scheduled on 1-17. Despite anyones hesitations noone on this board or anyone in general can deny VY's talent and gifts.

6th said:
I graduated from the University of San Francisco. It is a private college and it's sports programs have never been all that great. So, nothing really to root for there.
Get a Bill Russell throwback jersey and show some WCC pride. They're out there. As a Loyola Marymount alum, all I got goin' are the memories of Hank and Bo and the miraculous 89/90 championship run.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:

Nobody cares about football!!!
Oh my, it's the exact opposite here in Florida. I can't have one decent talk about anything NBA. Nobody cares at all. This state is run by football.

Regarding the ACC/Big 10 debate. Let's look at Final Four appearances since 1990:

ACC - 18 - 6 of those were champions
Big 10 - 11 - 1 was a champion

I think that puts up a fair comparison.

BTW, I'm a Florida State fan because I attended FSU.

I root for ND because I grew up in a small township near South Bend in Elkhart. For some reason I have always hated Purdue which was down the street about 45 min. I have also always been a fan of Bobby Knight and IU basketball.

Last edited:
If the Slugs of Santa Cruz had a major sports program I'd root for them, unfortunately, I have to enjoy rooting for college teams through the affiliations of my relatives.

P.S. I agree; Who cares about college football!?

Many relatives went to Cal so therefor, GO BEARS!!! I plan on going to U of Washington so I'm starting to root for them as well as the Sonics (have a friend in the org.)

I generally root for my alma mater, but since the Mountain West is not a BCS conference I am forced to go regional when it comes to the big bowl games, which means I root for the Pac-10 schools at large, and the California schools in particular.

Grew up rooting for Arizona because dad went to law school there.

Now, well... go to Stanford, root for Stanford (however painful at times).

I generally have a soft spot for most of the Pac-10, although I found myself rooting against USC the other day.

My dad went to UC Berkeley (Cal), as did my dad's sister. My dad has always been a fan of their sports, he went to quite a few games as a student (and was at the '82 Big Game, although he left before the crowds...aka before the Play). Not counting Sac State and Davis, it's the closest major university, so I guess that's it too.

I went to school at San Jose State. Bad football and basketball team. REALLY. I still remember seeing a game against Wisconsin back in the 90's. I saw both teams coming out of the locker room. I am 5'9" and I had to look up to see the Wisconsin players and straight ahead at the San Jose players. We got killed.