Please Don't Let Kahn Outdo Us: An OJ Mayo Discussion

...has been declining in nearly all aspects of his game since the '08-'09 season, the same standard you are holding Mayo to. To wit:

OJ Mayo: FG% -.024; 3PT% -.012; FT% -.129; Reb/36 -0.3; Ast/36 -0.6; Stl/36 +0.2; Blk/36 +0.3; TO/36 -0.8; Pts/36 -1.4; PER -1.4; WS/48 +.008
Granger: FG% -.029; 3PT% -.034; FT% -.055; Reb/36 +0.3; Ast/36 -0.2; Stl/36 +0.2; Blk/36 -0.5; TO/36 +0.3; Pts/36 -5.3; PER -5.6; WS/48 -.068

While Mayo is 23, Granger is 27, and probably has less on his clock, so to speak. And he's paid a lot more. I'm just saying that before anyone goes gung-ho for Granger, they should probably look at the fact that he's been declining - in most cases as badly or worse than Mayo (Mayo declined more in FT% and Ast, Granger has improved slightly in Reb). '08-'09 Granger was a great player. '10-'11 Granger has not yet shown himself to be that player, and his declining numbers give me as much pause, if not more, than Mayo's.
Good facts capt.

He already outdid us in the getting Beasley for a pack of chewing gum discussion so I fully expect him to outdo us in the Mayo discussion, too. Kahn>Petrie, Taylor>Maloofs.
Hmmm.

You made me thinking here and you made a good point. Also, it made me check the win-loss record of both teams. It really looks like the Kings team and its organization is worse than the Wolve's. We just couldn't look down the Wolves as if our team is better. It would be a shame.:rolleyes:

Well, if this story is to be believed, we no longer have to fear the shadowy genius of Kahn looming over this discussion. Turns out he's shying away from Mayo for the same reason he shied away from Cousins this past June. Can Petrie surprise us and swoop in on Kahn's timidness once more? I know he has his doubters in here (considering his track record with trades though, rightfully so), but I hope he's got his feelers out to make a move. Whether it's Granger or Mayo, I'd be happy with either player making it over here. Both would solidify some needs of this team.

I can understand the hesitance to add salary with the CBA negotiations ongoing, but Mayo's salary would not add much to our payroll, if at all when you consider what we could send back to Memphis. Granger's contract, meanwhile, is very much justifiable if he can come in and be that do it all defensive glue guy with a 3-point shot, and would represent the signing that we'd be trying to do in the offseason anyway.

Well, if this story is to be believed, we no longer have to fear the shadowy genius of Kahn looming over this discussion. Turns out he's shying away from Mayo for the same reason he shied away from Cousins this past June. Can Petrie surprise us and swoop in on Kahn's timidness once more? I know he has his doubters in here (considering his track record with trades though, rightfully so), but I hope he's got his feelers out to make a move. Whether it's Granger or Mayo, I'd be happy with either player making it over here. Both would solidify some needs of this team.

I can understand the hesitance to add salary with the CBA negotiations ongoing, but Mayo's salary would not add much to our payroll, if at all when you consider what we could send back to Memphis. Granger's contract, meanwhile, is very much justifiable if he can come in and be that do it all defensive glue guy with a 3-point shot, and would represent the signing that we'd be trying to do in the offseason anyway.
That's great news. I don't hold out much hope of The Kings trying to get Granger, too rich for the Maloof's blood right now. Mayo's contract is similar to Cousins' and Evans' though so perhaps they'd take it on even before the new CBA. That cold blooded shot Mayo made that almost won the game at Arco alone is enough to intrigue me. That's a guy i'd like to have. Not a lot of guys can hit shots like that.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The dudes been declining in nearly all aspects of his game since his rookie year and at times this year has looked flat out awful. I don't think he's going to improve us as much as people seem to think.

Now granger on the other hand....
I'm not as sure about an actual decline in him as just a stagnation and then confusion/frustation about his role. In the end he has few paths to get better. He's just a runt shooter really. He can't play the PG. Too small ot play the SF. The best thing he does on offense is shoot from the outside. He can dunk, but there is nothign terribly scary or nifty about hsi to the basket game. There's really not nearly as much there as the name recognition would indicate. The real question for me on whether he represents anything more than a 15ppg undersized guy over there given our team structure, is how is that defense? There are people who swear by it. There are others who swear he sucks. Everytime I see him play he seems to get lit up just to push me into the can't defensd camp. But if he could, then a guy who defend and can shoot at that spot is nothing to be ignored. But name recognition aside its nothing to throw a parade over either. Reke and Cousins are in another league from Mayo potential wise.

As is an all around guy like Granger of course.

Mayo will fit well next to Tyreke, space the floor

Mayo for Thompson and protected 1st rd pick

Then Trade Landry and Dalembert for Yao and Scola

pg-Tyreke, Jeter, Udrich
sg-Mayo Garcia, udrich, Taylor
sf-Greene,Casspi, Garcia
pf-scola, Jackson,Greene
c-Cousins,Whiteside, scola

Last edited:

pg-Tyreke, Jeter, Udrich
sf-Greene,Casspi, Garcia
pf-scola, Jackson,Greene
seriously, YAO? dude is hurt every year and eats up alot of capspace.

on another note... i'd gladly trade for batum from the blazers. he has the 3rd wheel quality all over him. long, great d, can shoot from deep.
And thats precisely one of MANY reasons why Portland would not be interested in trading him. The kid is a great player. Long, athletic with great defensive potential and a work ethic to match. He is effective in many ways and can shoot from the deep.

A VERY VERY good 2 way player in the making

And thats precisely one of MANY reasons why Portland would not be interested in trading him. The kid is a great player. Long, athletic with great defensive potential and a work ethic to match. He is effective in many ways and can shoot from the deep.

A VERY VERY good 2 way player in the making
we're targeting players that fit but not exactly what we need. mayo is a undersized 2 that beyond a reliable shot.. he doesn't bring much else to the table.

i highly doub5 portland would trade him unless it was reke or cousins offered. batum is everything we want donte to be.

we're targeting players that fit but not exactly what we need. mayo is a undersized 2 that beyond a reliable shot.. he doesn't bring much else to the table.

i highly doub5 portland would trade him unless it was reke or cousins offered. batum is everything we want donte to be.
Some people get obsessed with the player without actually considering the fit (ie Mayo, Wallace etc) so they will always want a talented player regardless of how he would fit their team but truth be told 95% of the names mentioned would not be a good fit.

Batum is different, he would be a great player to pair with Evans and Cousins, as would Granger. Mayo would be a disaster IMHO.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
on another note... i'd gladly trade for batum from the blazers. he has the 3rd wheel quality all over him. long, great d, can shoot from deep.
A couple of other posters have mentioned that Portland wouldn't want to trade him, but they didn't mention that there have been numerous reports in the media that Portland has been immediately shooting down any trade talks that mention him. He doesn't appear to be available.

L

LWP777

pg-Tyreke, Jeter, Udrich
sf-Greene,Casspi, Garcia
pf-scola, Jackson,Greene
And while we're at it, let's trade Greene and Taylor for Dwight Howard. Do you realize that Scola is practically a 20/10 guy? They aren't going to trade him for our garbage.

A couple of other posters have mentioned that Portland wouldn't want to trade him, but they didn't mention that there have been numerous reports in the media that Portland has been immediately shooting down any trade talks that mention him. He doesn't appear to be available.
yes, i know hes not available. portland has a nice team but just bad luck with injuries. if they can all come together healthy i think they can make some noise. i suggested the trade since ppl are throwing ridiculous trades out there why not join in on the fun.

Some people get obsessed with the player without actually considering the fit (ie Mayo, Wallace etc) so they will always want a talented player regardless of how he would fit their team but truth be told 95% of the names mentioned would not be a good fit.

Batum is different, he would be a great player to pair with Evans and Cousins, as would Granger. Mayo would be a disaster IMHO.
Care to explain your statement? Or are you cool with just making vague blanket statements like "disaster" about the players and the posters contributing to the thread?

From the reactions I've seen to Mayo's potential role on this team in this thread, I hardly think anyone is obsessing over him. He could fill some major needs -- namely 3-pt shooting and playmaking -- but no one was pretending that he was the end-all for potential third options. No need to overstate things if you disagree with an idea.

Anyone who doesn't want Mayo should pull their heads out their butts. He won't suddenly make us great but he would certainly continue to point the ship in the right direction