Pete Youngman semi-retires; accepts new position with Kings

I want to pin this forever because

a) Carmichael Dave is confirming that Coyote95667 is right. Coyote95667 agrees with a CD take. Miracle.
b) It will probably be an exhibit in a Dateline Episode "Was it really an accident? The CD mystery". Taking on this lady takes some huge brass ones. Many/most are afraid to speak truth about the regime. For a reason... I'm kinda scared too. I can totally see the episode unfolding before our eyes.

PS: Is Shareef an omission from the list or is his case different?
She has also been with the kings for over twenty years even before the current ownership so why is this a reflection of Vivek

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm assuming the unofficial mouthpiece of the Kings, meanwhile, is on his radio show screaming that everything is just a-okay, and anyone who remotely disagrees is a moron who doesn't deserve airtime?

Hi all.

I’ve made posts about this stuff before.

I know there are many who would rather not hear about any of this, so to them i say with love- scroll past this.

I appreciate everyone’s reasoned takes on this, I completely get it. This is my least favorite thing about the confluence of my job and my fandom.

Someone said (very respectfully too I may add) that I’ve been “wrong about this stuff before”). Guys, I say with all humility, I haven’t.

I know these people. I know how it works. I wish I didn’t. And I wish I could speak freely and not be some “rabble rouser” speaking in code and in half-statements. But there are other lives being affected.

Anyone who knows me knows I will speak to that in which I believe harms or could harm our fanbase, city, or team. I can’t say everything, but I can do my best to lay breadcrumbs.

Someday the light will shine. And then we can revisit all this.

Granger
Amazeen
Merchant
Gumpert
Jacobs
Rau
Moak
Braden
Garcia
Youngman
Blankenship

That’s a partial list of amazing, hard working people that have either been “moved” or left, mostly recently.

This isn’t run of the mill business type employee maneuvering. It’s the mistreatment of really good people.

I know they’ll read this (the Kings), and as I told many there yesterday I’ll always be fair and honest.

But what you’re seeing isn’t the entire story. It just isn’t. Flame me all you want if you wish, or scroll past.

As to being a radio host and dealing in controversy, that’s fair. But in this case that’s not what it’s about. In fact, other than asking Kenny Thomas what Pete meant to the players (at 8:55 as my show was ending), I didn’t speak a word of it today. It’s not a “ratings grabber”

But in my opinion what happens behind the scenes affects what we see on the floor, directly and indirectly. If i know about it, players and agents and coaches and GMs know about it. Trust me.

This is an ongoing problem that continues to hamper and hinder and hamstring our franchise. It’s just not as easy to diagnose as a poor rebounder or floundering offense.

But to me, it’s also deeper. It’s about loyalty, what this team represents, which in part is a place where good people can live here and thrive and be a part of something. The Kings are more than just a team to many of us, they’re a reflection of the spirit and culture of our city.

And good people just keep getting shuffled and dealt.

That’s a problem for me, and morally I can’t just ignore it and be quiet. I feel like that’s a lie by omission to the city and fanbase I try to serve and be a part of.

I just wish more people who know things would speak out as well. I expect they will in due time.

I don’t expect this post to do anything but act as a bookmark that we can revisit someday to openly talk about it. Be well.
As I posted in another thread, it's all about leadership. It doesn't matter what talent you bring aboard, as long as there's crummy leadership at the top, this dictates the ultimate direction of a business. Which is why I've lost faith in the franchise under current ownership (who has kept cronies like Matina & team aboard) and of course, this kind of information which reflects poorly on Matina's leadership style. Thanks Dave for confirming a lot of my suspicions. I still love this team, it's part of my blood. But as long as ownership enables these kinds of cronies, we can only hope for "happy accidents."

As I also called out earlier in the summer, the business side is showing troubling signs as well, which was reflected in a summer of layoffs, lawsuits, stalled development et al which trickled down to a Maloofian summer of dumpster diving for talent, scrapheap FA signings and cash considerations (don't get me wrong, I like Ferrell and Bjelica however... but this is all too similar of a talent level that we'd sign in Maloof offseasons). I've seen this show before, with the same director at the helm. Love my Kings, but shame on me for being fooled twice.

Last edited:
There are more people than just those on that list. Some others were pushed out and some saw the writing on the wall and moved on.

Reading the tea leaves here a tiny bit but it seems the very person who may have been the most crucial to the Kings staying because of deep, and I mean DEEP, connections now seems to have carte blanche in decision making.

The reasons for this are at least threefold.

The above mentioned connections.

Doing a great job of being at the beck and call of ownership.

But most of all is the fact that under this leadership the bottom line is that the Kings organization has gained in value to be the 13th most valuable franchise as well as being 13th in revenue.

First and foremost these are business people. Developers specifically. And there are deep connections to the development community as well with the person who I speak of. And developments are being announced even recently with Kings owners and those connections working together.

So basically, the person most likely is going nowhere and I really don’t know what can be done and it is going to be a messy, messy divorce if anything does happen.

So that answers why that person stays with the Kings. I just wish we knew why that person wanted to let the other people go.

So that answers why that person stays with the Kings. I just wish we knew why that person wanted to let the other people go.

Ding Ding Ding.

This is what I don't understand. I believe there are two reasons

1.) That person has kept a list of people who had wronger her and has taken opportunity to oust them.

2.) Systematically trying to bring in loyal subjects and no dissenters. She's knows where the bodies are buried and these long time employees know enough about that, that she is trying to marginalize them.

The Granger thing was different, that was a power struggle and he lost.

Ding Ding Ding.

This is what I don't understand. I believe there are two reasons

1.) That person has kept a list of people who had wronger her and has taken opportunity to oust them.

2.) Systematically trying to bring in loyal subjects and no dissenters. She's knows where the bodies are buried and these long time employees know enough about that, that she is trying to marginalize them.

The Granger thing was different, that was a power struggle and he lost.
He either lost or just said “F this I’m not staying around and dealing with this crap”.....could make the argument they are one and the same.

dude12

Hall of Famer
As I posted in another thread, it's all about leadership. It doesn't matter what talent you bring aboard, as long as there's crummy leadership at the top, this dictates the ultimate direction of a business. Which is why I've lost faith in the franchise under current ownership (who has kept cronies like Matina & team aboard) and of course, this kind of information which reflects poorly on Matina's leadership style. Thanks Dave for confirming a lot of my suspicions. I still love this team, it's part of my blood. But as long as ownership enables these kinds of cronies, we can only hope for "happy accidents."

As I also called out earlier in the summer, the business side is showing troubling signs as well, which was reflected in a summer of layoffs, lawsuits, stalled development et al which trickled down to a Maloofian summer of dumpster diving for talent, scrapheap FA signings and cash considerations (don't get me wrong, I like Ferrell and Bjelica however... but this is all too similar of a talent level that we'd sign in Maloof offseasons). I've seen this show before, with the same director at the helm. Love my Kings, but shame on me for being fooled twice.
Just wanted to point out that besides the solid signings of Ferrell and Bjelica, the dumpster diving you said included signing a huge offer sheet to Lavine.