Pete Youngman semi-retires; accepts new position with Kings

Andrew Rodgers first sent out a tweet saying he just heard about @_petethetrainer @carmichaeldave and Bobby Gerould have since confirmed that he is gone, although it's worded as parted ways.

This stinks. Pete was one of, if not, THE best in the league at what he does.

This is getting really old.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So many people leaving the franchise and/or moving into newer less upfront roles and yet Chuckles the Clown still remains firmly entrenched with his star-bashing ways and blind dog-like devotion to the company line.

Following Giles makes me think our medical/training staff is really good (with Pete as the leader) but I don't really know. I guess it's possible this could hurt the team but it could just be Pete has been working in Sports Medicine for 30 plus years and wants to slow down. CD would you have you believe there is something in the Kings culture that is chasing quality professionals away in the same sentence he'll say he doesn't really know anything. If there is some dark force at work in the back offices of G1C, I would hope that at some point it comes to light and isn't veiled in the whisper and innuendo of quasi-journalist types.

Following Giles makes me think our medical/training staff is really good (with Pete as the leader) but I don't really know. I guess it's possible this could hurt the team but it could just be Pete has been working in Sports Medicine for 30 plus years and wants to slow down. CD would you have you believe there is something in the Kings culture that is chasing quality professionals away in the same sentence he'll say he doesn't really know anything. If there is some dark force at work in the back offices of G1C, I would hope that at some point it comes to light and isn't veiled in the whisper and innuendo of quasi-journalist types.
Me too

No, by all indications he was fired and given a "new job title" as a save face for the organization. Like what happened to Tyrone Corbin and maybe even Jerry Reynolds. This organization is where it is for a reason.
If Pete was as good as all of the evidence would indicate he would have no issues finding suitable employment at a "superior" organization than the Kings. If he was really fired as you say why did he stay?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't want or need to know how the hot dog is made. I just want to enjoy it. At this point in my life, the same is true for the Kings. I'm beyond tired of the innuendos of backroom intrigue, etc. Is it there? Probably. Has it always been there? In some form or another, of course it has. That's how businesses run. I wish Pete Youngman all the luck in the world in his future endeavors, whether it's a titular position with the Kings, retirement, or opening of a bodega on the coast. I just want to enjoy Kings basketball. Sometimes those "in the know" need to think twice before pointing out the lack of clothing on the Emperor IMHO - especially if they cannot/will not come out and tell the whole story. Making cryptic comments just leaves room for angst, speculation, etc. that does nobody any good.

/rant

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Why doesn’t it add up? He works for more than 25 years and is probably thinking of retirement. I hope I can do the same when I’m at the tail end of my career
If he is thinking of retiring then why not just do it? why take another position in the same company?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No, by all indications he was fired and given a "new job title" as a save face for the organization. Like what happened to Tyrone Corbin and maybe even Jerry Reynolds. This organization is where it is for a reason.
Jerry is a 70-year-old diabetic who once almost died on the sidelines while coaching a game. Let's not act like the Kings asked him to emphasize his health concerns and feign being tired of the long NBA grind in some sort of scheme to save face.

I don't want or need to know how the hot dog is made. I just want to enjoy it. At this point in my life, the same is true for the Kings. I'm beyond tired of the innuendos of backroom intrigue, etc. Is it there? Probably. Has it always been there? In some form or another, of course it has. That's how businesses run. I wish Pete Youngman all the luck in the world in his future endeavors, whether it's a titular position with the Kings, retirement, or opening of a bodega on the coast. I just want to enjoy Kings basketball. Sometimes those "in the know" need to think twice before pointing out the lack of clothing on the Emperor IMHO - especially if they cannot/will not come out and tell the whole story. Making cryptic comments just leaves room for angst, speculation, etc. that does nobody any good.

/rant
Can someone actually tell me if Pete was forced into semi-retirement or if he just wants to slow down? Is there really something sinister here or is the guy just tired of the grind?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You probably get more money/benefits staying on as an advisor than just out and out leaving the company entirely.
It very well could be one of those positions where less is asked of him and he can ease his way into retirement or stay on board should he so choose.

If he is thinking of retiring then why not just do it? why take another position in the same company?
This is an old script. "We've made the decision to eliminate your position. That decision has been made and it is not going to change. But it is up to you how gracefully it will happen.".

The most graceful way possible is to pay out fair severance thru payroll (for a year at least in Pete's case), with a new phony "consultant" title - and off you go to play golf or whatever. You get benefits, you accrue time off - it's very .... graceful.

But I would bet a decent bunch of change that he was "let go".

A long time employee does not "decide to take a new title"... no, a company decides to "give you a new title".

Sure Pete could say "take this job and shove it" but why should he? Why not play ball?

He was fired.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This is an old script. "We've made the decision to eliminate your position. That decision has been made and it is not going to change. But it is up to you how gracefully it will happen.".

The most graceful way possible is to pay out fair severance thru payroll (for a year at least in Pete's case), with a new phony "consultant" title - and off you go to play golf or whatever. You get benefits, you accrue time off - it's very .... graceful.

But I would bet a decent bunch of change that he was "let go".

A long time employee does not "decide to take a new title"... no, a company decides to "give you a new title".

Sure Pete could say "take this job and shove it" but why should he? Why not play ball?

He was fired.
in the end, it's business first and foremost. The rest is irrelevant and time moves on with or without.