Pelicans want in on George Hill trade to Cavs (LOL!)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think they've lost their freaking minds or are still in shock over the Cousins injury. Here's a trade proposal I found on PelicansReport:

Trade Proposal 2, being the 3rd team in a George Hill Trade

Cavs - George Hill
Kings - Asik/Ajinca/Iman Shumpert/Pels 1st
Pels - Jae Crowder/Willy Cauley-Stein/Skal Labissier

Crowder has 2 more years after this around $7.5 which is great for a solid 3 and D wing. Skal is a rookie with potential and while WCS doesn't look like he'll ever be great, the Pels just need him to be serviceable, which he can be.

I think they've lost their freaking minds or are still in shock over the Cousins injury. Here's a trade proposal I found on PelicansReport:

Trade Proposal 2, being the 3rd team in a George Hill Trade

Cavs - George Hill
Kings - Asik/Ajinca/Iman Shumpert/Pels 1st
Pels - Jae Crowder/Willy Cauley-Stein/Skal Labissier

Crowder has 2 more years after this around $7.5 which is great for a solid 3 and D wing. Skal is a rookie with potential and while WCS doesn't look like he'll ever be great, the Pels just need him to be serviceable, which he can be.
LMFAO!!!

But as a 3rd team we need someone to take our extra roster spot

Clev - gets George hill
Sac - gets Shumpert,Azik crap contract, Pels 2019 1st, clev 2nd
Pels - gets Frye or Kosta, Richardson, gets salary relief

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
But as a 3rd team we need someone to take our extra roster spot

Clev - gets George hill
Sac - gets Shumpert,Azik crap contract, Pels 2019 1st, clev 2nd
Pels - gets Frye or Kosta, Richardson, gets salary relief
Now that's more like it. Depending on a variety of factors, that 2019 Pels pick could wind up being a really good one and, while I'd miss him, Kosta would finally give the Pels a backup center that isn't a complete and total waste of space and they'd also get a nice wing that isn't a thirty-something point guard. Unfortunately we'd get stuck with Omer Asik for a few seasons but it's not like we're going to be in a position to pull off a big deal for a huge name free agent any time soon anyway.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Fan proposal or not, I won't mind as long as Zbo and/or GT head for the Pels. Something like the one below
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yd8gkkcu

Yes we'll be eating around 2 bad contracts for this but if we get the 2019 Pels pick and maybe the 2018 Cavs pick that would be great.

Not sure if we can buy out Shumpert evem with his player option for next year.
I cannot get the trade machine to load. Can you list the players from each team? Thanks.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I have to be honest when Demarcus went down, after the horror left me I thought the Pelicans probably could use Zebo as a quick replacement. The problem is, I just do not see what they have to trade now that we could use. Zebo can opt out at the end of the season; so I'm not sure an ending contract is that sweet a deal. Our roster is literally glutted with young players so late first round picks don't really mean so much. Don't get me wrong, I am all for making moves with vets that either bring in guys that fit Jeoger's style of play or enhance our position in the draft, bu ttrades that are just moving out vets to open up playing time, but do NOT improve the roster seems trigger happy to me.

Last edited:
I cannot get the trade machine to load. Can you list the players from each team? Thanks.
Can't get it to load either. Can't remember the exact players now but it's something along the lines of

Looking at it again I don't think Cleveland will want Ajinca unless they can buy him out

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Can't get it to load either. Can't remember the exact players now but it's something along the lines of

Looking at it again I don't think Cleveland will want Ajinca unless they can buy him out
I honestly don't see why any of the three teams agrees to this deal.

The Kings lose any and all big man depth in one fell swoop, and you somehow found a way to get an even worse logjam at the guard slot than before with an onslaught of random middle-aged journeyman swing guys. Solomon Hill was a dude I advocated getting back when we had Boogie but we have no use for him now as a rebuilding team. Cedi Osman's a nice consolation prize but you're obliterating any and all veteran leadership on this roster (the team's culture could probably survive trading one of Temple/Kosta/Z-Bo but not all three at once.) To even consider this, we'd have to be getting the 2019 Pels pick. The 2018 Cavs pick would also be nice but considering the make up of this draft, it's honestly not worth that much (Considering contract structures, I'd rather have an early second round pick than a late first rounder this year)

dude12

Hall of Famer
Most of the trade proposals being tossed out there are not as good as just staying as is.....several reasons why?

To take on another teams bad contracts, this would be more prudent come the summer when teams are actively looking to free up space and change the roster.

Most of these deals proposing we take back salary dumps are not taking into account that those are negative contracts and they are ok with us giving up Hill AND a young player to do a deal.

In the case where we get another teams late pick, I don't think it's in the Kings best interest right now to keep adding even more young players to an already young roster. We have 10 1st thru 3rd year guys and can't find time to develop all of them now....AND we will be adding Giles and the lotto pick next year.

I believe our best case scenario is standing as is with our vets. All have short or expiring contracts. If we can get a pick in the future, as in 2020 or later, that's not a bad idea

WCS is the perfect fit next to Davis and a big rotation of Davis, Boogie and WCS would set them up for the next 5 years easily.

We need picks and lots of them to even start thinking about giving them WCS

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I think the poster mentioned that it would also be sending us the Pelicans 2019 1st and the Cavs 2018 1st or something like that.
even if I accepted the argument that late picks were a good value I still don't see how this trade makes the Kings, or the Cavs better.

even if I accepted the argument that late picks were a good value I still don't see how this trade makes the Kings, or the Cavs better.
Agreed, the first round picks are appealing because maybe we can find someone late in the draft that can develop into a solid player or perhaps a really good player if we get lucky. We could even package them and move up in the draft or to acquire someone we really like. So there are benefits on that side of things, however if we are acquiring players that are not on expiring contracts and will tie up cap space to fairly lacklustre players that aren't going to move the needle, then personally I would prefer to see us not make such a move because even though we are rebuilding it would be nice to have some cap flexibility if we see a veteran or a RFA that we might be able to steal away.

As for the Cavs. I still don't see a trade working out that gets them Hill and makes them better, unless they are betting on Hill being a difference maker in their starting line up over IT. Personally if I was them I would not be looking to send out any draft picks because if LeBron bolts in free agency, and perhaps IT as well, they could very well be entering into a rebuild unless they try a Clippers like approach and build around what's left (i.e. Kevin Love).