Patterson: "If Martin Is Not Traded, "He's Really Going To Go Crazy"

The Nuggets traded a player who couldn't wait to get out of Denver for one dubbed a "pro's pro."

The Nuggets on Thursday dealt disgruntled swingman Ruben Patterson to Milwaukee for forward Joe Smith. The move gives them additional frontcourt depth and rids them of a player who had words with Nuggets coach George Karl when his minutes were cut during the playoffs last season.

"If they weren't going to extend my contract, I asked to be moved," said Patterson, who told his agent, Dan Fegan, he wanted to be traded because Patterson said the Nuggets did not indicate a willingness to extend his deal past next season.
"I'm happy with the trade. I'm back East (he is a native of Cleveland)."

Smith, described by Nuggets director of player personnel Mark Warkentien and Bucks general manager Larry Harris as a "pro's pro," also is pleased with his new team.

"It's a very good situation," said Smith, who was traded to Milwaukee in June 2003, a few weeks before Karl was fired as the Bucks coach. "George and I have been trying to line up for years. I'm looking forward to getting out there and trying to help them improve."
Both players will make $6.8 million in the final years of six-year, $34 million deals. The Nuggets, with 13 players under contract, remain $3 million under the luxury tax threshold.

"I didn't think we had the chemistry and leadership we wanted on the team," said Karl, who said Patterson was in line to have his minutes cut next season. "We needed to upgrade that. Ruben played hard and was great for us initially (after being acquired in February from Portland), but he got emotional sometimes.

"I thought sometimes he was part of the problem. Don't get me wrong. He wasn't all the problem. But we've got to have chemistry and leadership to be a championship-type team."

Warkentien said Smith, a Bucks captain, really helps in that area.
"He brings the presence of a veteran captain in our locker room," Warkentien said. "He's a guy who can make shots. . . . He can help space the floor for Carmelo (Anthony)."

The trade might hamper the chances of the Nuggets re-signing free-agent forward Reggie Evans and especially of landing free-agent forward Keith Van Horn, a player similar to Smith. But Warkentien noted several Nuggets big men are coming off injuries, and Karl said the Nuggets are "going to try to figure" out possibly signing one.
Warkentien said the trade of Patterson should open up minutes for young wing players Linas Kleiza and Yakhouba Diawara, but Karl did not rule out acquiring another swingman.

Karl said the Nuggets still are "trying" to re-sign free agent DerMarr Johnson. Karl said there have been talks about free agent Bonzi Wells, whom the Nuggets wouldn't mind getting for a one-year, low-dollar deal.

Harris called Warkentien on Aug. 4 to propose the trade and said the Nuggets immediately were receptive. Warkentien said the Nuggets now have "one of the deepest frontlines in the NBA."

The 6-foot-10 Smith is primarily a power forward. He will find plenty of competition for minutes in the post with the Nuggets having Marcus Camby, Nene, Kenyon Martin and Eduardo Najera.

"The more depth makes us a better team," said Smith, 31, who averaged 8.6 points and 5.2 rebounds as a reserve last season as injuries limited him to 44 games. "I don't want to step on anybody's toes."

Smith, who has averaged 12.4 points and 7.1 rebounds since being the NBA's top pick in 1995, had his contract voided in 2000 when the NBA ruled Minnesota entered into an illegal agreement. Smith said it was a situation that "was tough on me."

Patterson came to the Nuggets with much baggage, having had to register as a sex offender because of a 2001 episode in which he made a modified guilty plea to third-degree attempted rape. But Harris believes Patterson is "moving forward in his life."

Patterson started 20 of 26 games with the Nuggets, averaging 13.2 points. But his minutes were cut drastically in the playoffs.

"My agent got me out of there," Patterson said. "(The Nuggets are) obviously starting to go in another direction. I enjoyed the (fans) in Denver, but it's time to move on."

ETC.: Last week, Karl said he expects Martin, who had a run-in with him during the playoffs and was suspended, to begin next season with the Nuggets. But Patterson, who is close to Martin and was his University of Cincinnati teammate, doesn't believe it will work. "I know for sure it's not going to," Patterson said. "Because I know Kenyon. He's not happy (in Denver). He told me after the season he wanted to go. If he's not gone, he's really going to go crazy." Asked for a response, Karl said, "Everybody is entitled to their opinion." . . . Karl vows to name an assistant coach next week.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_4909705,00.html

After I thought Patterson was fine in Denver, not reading anything, this shows he still had some problems in Denver...

Last edited:
Andre Miller slept with Martin's girlfriend. Martin had a confrontation with Miller during the playoffs in the locker room and wouldn't pass to him. George Karl put him on suspension because he was a detriment to the team. If he had a more amenable contract, he would've been traded by now.

Andre Miller slept with Martin's girlfriend. Martin had a confrontation with Miller during the playoffs in the locker room and wouldn't pass to him. George Karl put him on suspension because he was a detriment to the team. If he had a more amenable contract, he would've been traded by now.

Where'd you read that Andre Miller slept with Kenyon's girl? If he did that's pretty low...

Where'd you read that Andre Miller slept with Kenyon's girl? If he did that's pretty low...
I got the memo from someone who knew about Kobe's 24 jersey change a couple months before the media picked up on it. Joe McDonnell alluded to the Martin/Miller thing after it happened, but just gave basic details about a tiff over a woman. Then the story vanished into thin air, probably because no one cared.

Anyway, I think Patterson is alluding to that instead of the fact that he has a prob w/ GK.

I got the memo from someone who knew about Kobe's 24 jersey change a couple months before the media picked up on it. Joe McDonnell alluded to the Martin/Miller thing after it happened, but just gave basic details about a tiff over a woman. Then the story vanished into thin air, probably because no one cared.

Anyway, I think Patterson is alluding to that instead of the fact that he has a prob w/ GK.

Oh ok, I'll trust you. I can definitely see why he wants out of Denver. How are you supposed to play with a guy who slept with your girl? The coach hates him. He had surgery on his knee there. There's some reporter who doesn't like him. I mean dang, hopefully he gets traded to a better situation.

Oh ok, I'll trust you. I can definitely see why he wants out of Denver. How are you supposed to play with a guy who slept with your girl? The coach hates him. He had surgery on his knee there. There's some reporter who doesn't like him. I mean dang, hopefully he gets traded to a better situation.
I'm trying to think of a team that would take his contract. He's probably stuck there.

George Karl is a nutjob by many accounts. The Bucks bought out his contract to get him out of town. He's been antagonistic to some of his players before, whether it be criticizing them in public (called Ray Allen soft, spearheadded the trade to Seattle) or keeping them in purgatory (benching Paul Pierce in 2002 WCs). Both the Bucks and 02 WC team dropped a bunch of games in a row towards their demise (which hints that they may have frozen Karl out). He's a coach who gets hired to turn bad situations around, but look at his exits. The Nuggets are in George Karl exit mode. He could very likely get fired before Martin is traded.

Its been rumored George Karl brought the players into the lockeroom last season (closed and locked the door) and said: " you guys are either with me or with Kiki" Meaning the GM from Denver.

Wow isn't Denver a great soap opera, and a great place for bonzi to go.

I'm trying to think of a team that would take his contract. He's probably stuck there.

George Karl is a nutjob by many accounts. The Bucks bought out his contract to get him out of town. He's been antagonistic to some of his players before, whether it be criticizing them in public (called Ray Allen soft, spearheadded the trade to Seattle) or keeping them in purgatory (benching Paul Pierce in 2002 WCs). Both the Bucks and 02 WC team dropped a bunch of games in a row towards their demise (which hints that they may have frozen Karl out). He's a coach who gets hired to turn bad situations around, but look at his exits. The Nuggets are in George Karl exit mode. He could very likely get fired before Martin is traded.
karl isnt going anywhere.