Ostertag Starter?

Should Ostertag Take Skinner's starting posistion just for the series against Sonics?

• yes

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • no

Votes: 51 43.6%

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Greg Ostertag is NOT a starter. Brad Miller is our regular starter. We desperately need Tag to come off the bench and give as much as he can.

No... but if Brian struggles, I hope Rick will be much more quick to put him in there. Remember, Tag has a lot of playoff experience! I liked Brad & Tag out there together. If they can take the minutes, I think we'll see a lot more of them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
PejaHoops16 said:
Do you think that Ostertag should take Brian Skinner's starting posistion just for the series against the Sonics?
Okay, answer me this:

WHY do you think Tag should start? What are the duties of a starter? Why would Tag be better than Skinner?

You can answer one, two or three and I'll be very interested in your answers.

I think Brad is the de facto starter as soon as he's healthy. However, based on recent play, I'd say Tag should be his backup. It almost seems that Skinner is playing himself out of the lineup lately. I hate saying that, too, because I really like Skinner.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Variant said:
No... but if Brian struggles, I hope Rick will be much more quick to put him in there. Remember, Tag has a lot of playoff experience! I liked Brad & Tag out there together. If they can take the minutes, I think we'll see a lot more of them.
The main problem with Tag is RA has to ration his minutes, since we all know he cannot play an entire game. His stamina is improving but if you noticed, he was still really winded when he went to the bench for time outs. I think what RA did was put him in as soon as he thought he could to carry us to the end of the game. That part, at least, looked about right...

VF21 said:
Greg Ostertag is NOT a starter. Brad Miller is our regular starter. We desperately need Tag to come off the bench and give as much as he can.
I agree. He just needs to be brought in earlier instead of the last 17 minutes of the game.

VF21 said:
Okay, answer me this:

WHY do you think Tag should start? What are the duties of a starter? Why would Tag be better than Skinner?

Why is Tag better than Skinner

When he comes in it sets a defensive tone. I could have swore that after he came in the other players did step it up. He also matches up way better with JJ.

He need to play some minutes in the first half as well as the second. I don't know why RA doesn't play him more consistently. He has only done good things during his times in the game.

I don't think Brad should start just yet... it looks like he's still pretty banged up

Tag and B52 was nice, since Miller's got some outside game

The Kings could potentially run a big lineup with still shooters. Tag as the Center, THomas and Miller out there too.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
My druthers (if I were coach):

C........Tag/Skinner/Brad
PF.......Brad/Kenny/Darius
SF.......Peja/Corliss/MO
SG.......Cat/Bobby
PG.......Bibby/Eddie

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Not sure about starting Tag, but thin I am not big on titles like "starter" Idealy let Skinner paly unitill or unless the the Kings get in the hole or are loosing a lead, thne bring Tag in to stop the bleeding. Brad will not be able toplay many min for next few games they they should be increasin. I hope RA saw what we saw when the Double Wide Twins palyed... rough grusome twosome who actualy complement each otehrs game. Tag down low making space and grabing boards, Brad up at the elbow making passes and forcing big men to come out of the paint... I like that combo a lot! Tag played 17 soild min tonight and could have easly palyed aonther 10 or so in the first half. Skinner could be most effective playing when Tag is out and Brad is in, but i am begining to think that if at all possible eitehr Tag or Brad need to be on the court at all times.

I do think that Tag should start and have skinner come off the bench.

Tag proved that he can play in a game like tonights, also with skinners injury he will be better in limited minutes.

6th said:
My druthers (if I were coach):

C........Tag/Skinner/Brad
PF.......Brad/Kenny/Darius
SF.......Peja/Corliss/MO
SG.......Cat/Bobby
PG.......Bibby/Eddie
I think you should be coach because that sounds like a great idea. I do remember Adelman saying he was going to play the guys that were playing well. I hope he learned that Tag belongs on this team.

VF21 said:
Okay, answer me this:

As soon as Tag came in we immediately started cutting down the lead. Skinner is a great leaper but cannot keep up with Jerome James because of height. Tag can defend him.

P.S.
I think you should change your sig. to 17 games to go.

Skinner shouldnt be left on the court for too long without at least having either Brad or Ostertag with him. Hes obviously a fish out of water at the center position against Seattle. They have a bunch of guys who are bigger, faster and stronger than Skinner. The guy just cant hold his own because of his lack of size.

Another thing, this wasn't the first game Tag has come in and made an immediate impact. They were WAY too big for us and converted their offensive boards while we did not.

I like Tag coming off the bench. he just gives us that extra effort when we need it, so starting him wouldn't be the best since he can't play a lot of minutes. We shoud do what we're doing, use him when he's needed, so he won't be tired when we do.

SacTown said:
I like Tag coming off the bench. he just gives us that extra effort when we need it, so starting him wouldn't be the best since he can't play a lot of minutes. We shoud do what we're doing, use him when he's needed, so he won't be tired when we do.

Totally agree. We NEED him off the bench. I do wish that he could play more. I am not sure if it is his conditioning or RA's decision, but we could use some more minutes from him.

Why should Ostertag start? It's simple.

1) IMHO, the Kings would not begin so many second quarters down by ten points if Ostertag was a starter.

2) He stops drives to the basket.

3) He blocks shots.

4) He rebounds.

5) He feeds rebounds to the guards.

6) He changes the game with physical roughness.

7) He tips in a lot of missed shots.

We don't need offense as much as defense.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
PejaHoops16 said:
As soon as Tag came in we immediately started cutting down the lead. Skinner is a great leaper but cannot keep up with Jerome James because of height. Tag can defend him.

P.S.
I think you should change your sig. to 17 games to go.
Yes, as soon as TAg came in we started cutting into the lead. That's why he's good OFF THE BENCH, not why he would be a good starter.

Do you not understand that TAG simply isn't in good enough condition to play an entire game?

Wouldn't you rather have him in reserve to help at the end instead of using him up at first and NOT having him in the stretch when he can do the most good?

P.S. You have to win 16 games to win the title. You have to win 4 in the first round, 4 in the second round, 4 in the WC finals and then 4 in the NBA finals. That adds up to 16, not 17.