Orlando Robinson changes name to Sacramento Robinson

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you think of the Cam Johnson fit with this team?
It'd be a solid fit, though he'd be an expensive bench piece next season. But in a perfect world he and Murray could both start two seasons from now and you could have both Monk & DeRozan as elite 6th & 7th men off the bench. Come playoff time you'd have a deadly 8 man rotation.

Ideally I'd rather have a high level 3&D guy as the second forward vs more of an offensive oriented player though I do think Cam is an upgrade from Huerter at more of a position of need.

But the Kings are currently hard capped at the first apron so it can't happen. The final signing (assuming McNair doesn't opt to leave a roster spot open) will have to be another veteran minimum guy.

Last edited:
It'd be a solid fit, though he'd be an expensive bench piece next season. But in a perfect world he and Murray could both start two seasons from now and you could have both Monk & DeRozan as elite 6th & 7th men off the bench. Come playoff time you'd have a deadly 8 man rotation.

Ideally I'd rather have a high level 3&D guy as the second forward vs more of an offensive oriented player though I do think Cam is an upgrade from Huerter at more of a position of need.

But the Kings are currently hard capped at the first apron so it can't happen. The final signing (assuming McNair doesn't opt to leave a roster spot open) will have to be another veteran minimum guy.
Guessing it is Kessler

Hes better than Len as well
Len has proven his worth on the defensive end has stayed in the NBA even at a time when non offensively skilled bigs weren't the in thing at all. The issue with Robinson sticking in the league is he's not a great defensive player and he's a bit slow. He certainly has some skill though. He looks like he could be a Dedmon type but Dedmon was quicker.

Monty and his speculative pickups. I’m not saying Robinson is not good. Just we’ve seen this so much from Monty and they don’t often pan out. Monty has built an organization that is really great at drafting and developing talent, I’d give him an A+ there. When it comes to finding diamonds in the rough he pulls a lot of fools gold in the past I’m sure Robinson will be the exception.

Monty and his speculative pickups. I’m not saying Robinson is not good. Just we’ve seen this so much from Monty and they don’t often pan out. Monty has built an organization that is really great at drafting and developing talent, I’d give him an A+ there. When it comes to finding diamonds in the rough he pulls a lot of fools gold in the past I’m sure Robinson will be the exception.
Not a lot of organizations pull a lot of talent when they're searching for 3rd stringers. Miami and the Grizzlies recently might be the two exceptions.

Huh?

The whole point of speculative pickups is you hope they shock you and turn into a Keon Ellis or an IT2. Who cares if you miss on 30 guys, if it lead you to Keon and him possibly being a starting level guard and elite defender that you acquired for no investment

Huh?

The whole point of speculative pickups is you hope they shock you and turn into a Keon Ellis or an IT2. Who cares if you miss on 30 guys, if it lead you to Keon and him possibly being a starting level guard and elite defender that you acquired for no investment
This kind of makes my point though Keon was an undrafted prospect. I have a lot of respect for the Kings ability to develop talent. Where I haven’t seen much success is when it comes to bringing in young players with potential. In all fairness Monty seems to bargain hunt a lot which is fine. I’m pretty confident at least one out of the two of our undrafted prospects will pan out (maybe not for us) from this years draft. That is a compliment to our G league affiliate and the organization as a whole. When Monty aquires actual talent (Huerter, Monk) things work out much better, I’m assuming Huerter’s performance last season was an anomaly.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This kind of makes my point though Keon was an undrafted prospect. I have a lot of respect for the Kings ability to develop talent. Where I haven’t seen much success is when it comes to bringing in young players with potential. In all fairness Monty seems to bargain hunt a lot which is fine. I’m pretty confident at least one out of the two of our undrafted prospects will pan out (maybe not for us) from this years draft. That is a compliment to our G league affiliate and the organization as a whole. When Monty aquires actual talent (Huerter, Monk) things work out much better, I’m assuming Huerter’s performance last season was an anomaly.
Saying this in the most respectful way I can but I’m sure there’s a point you’re trying to make but upon reading your post I cannot even fathom what that point possibly is lol

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not a lot of organizations pull a lot of talent when they're searching for 3rd stringers. Miami and the Grizzlies recently might be the two exceptions.
Grizzlies haven’t really had much success in that regard for a while though. Vince Jackson was a rotation guy for them last year who they found as an UDFA but I’m not sure how much he’s actually going to play for them with Ja, Bane, and Smart being healthy this year. All the other guys that popped for them last year were either elite prospects that fell for serious character concerns (GG Jackson) or first round pick guys who looked moderately okay (Santi and LaRavia). They also dumped most of the guys from their drafts over the last couple of seasons for peanuts because most of them turned out to kinda suck (Ziare Williams pretty much just being skinny Donte Greene, Roddy just sorta being chubby and that’s all).

The Heat are so successful in their player dev culture precisely because they have an exact player profile they go for (3 and D wings/guards) with UDFAs and use all their first round draft picks on bigs and ball handling upside swings. In that sense, the Kings have already been following this model under Monte since pretty much every single guy they’ve picked up UDFA or in the second round (aside from Neemy) has been a 3&D guy with elite perimeter numbers and huge stock counts while all their first rounders have been ballhandler upside swings (yes, even Davion) or Keegan Murray (a lights out 6’8” shooter who is also an elite defender at the very least who is pretty much impossible for the Kings to acquire outside the top of the draft). For every Max Struss or Caleb Martin the Heat have produced, there have been dozens of random other guys who have gone through “Heat Culture” and not panned out.

Last edited:
At least we didn’t trade a couple seconds for him this time. That said he isn’t a longer defensive starter we need.