Opening Night: The Battle for Los Angeles

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It seems impossible to fathom that, merely ten years ago, people were legitimately debating whom would you rather have, Dwight Howard, or LeBron James?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Vogel burned through his challenge in the first half of the first quarter? Boy, he better hope this game isn't close, down the stretch!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Lakers completely lack of wings beyond Danny Green is gonna be the death of them. Bradley is bad now and KCP is quite frankly more effective as a meme than an NBA player.

To be fair, I'm not sure the Lakers are actually going to be any good this season.
That's been my POV all off season. I loathe how teams like LAL and DAL are suddenly considered playoff teams w/o having proved anything yet. Especially when neither accompished a damn thing last season. At this time 1 year ago, the pundits had the LAL in the postseason too, but how'd that work out?

Fans and media often place too much stock into 'names'. Doesn't matter what a player has done in the past. It's about the chemistry of the team they're currently on and whether the players can find a way to play together the right way.

Until proven otherwise, I refuse to believe LAL or DAL are better than the KINGS. They very well might be. But I have to see it play out that way over the course of the long season before I believe it.

I still believe the odds are good that either or both of LBJ and AD spend time on the IR this season. LBJ is breaking down after years of long seasons and AD has pretty much always been made of glass.

With regard to DAL, I need to see #77 duplicate what he did last season after opponents had an offseason to scout him and make adjustments and I'm still skeptical about the 'Unicorn' until he can prove he's healthy and anywhere near as good as he was beforehand. Furthermore, those two need to prove they can play together. They probably can. And probably will be good. But I need to see it over an extended period of time first.

In other words, show me, don't tell me.

This was a war. Much like a Finals playoff game. Both teams were very physical playing great defense. Tremendous effort by both teams. This is what the game is all about. I am a believer in the Clippers. Leonard makes them so much better. Doc Rivers puts together intense, blue-collar teams with great desire and unselfishness. This team is the opposite of a team like Houston. I was talking out loud during this game and impressed the whole time.

The Kings can learn a lot by watching tape of a game like this. They will see people playing help team defense, moving their feet and taking charges. They will see great passing and rebounding with great desire. For the first game out of the chute both teams played at an extremely high level. This is how the Kings need to play to be in the playoffs. Pattycake basketball and wearing a tuxedo will make players disappear. Give me some Holmes. Give some new and improved Bagley. This league is being dominated by full grown men that come to play.

A special shout out to Charles Barkeley. He mentioned that Kawhi Leonard appears to play like he is not ever in a hurry, like Oscar Roberston. I had a chance to see Big O when I was a kid and still remember it. We are witnessing Greatness.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
This is the Clippers without George. Yikes.
I mean, even without Paul George, they still basically added the reigning Finals MVP to a forty-eight win team.

To be fair, I'm not sure the Lakers are actually going to be any good this season.
How do you get that out of them losing, on opening night, to (possibly) the best team in the league? I mean, the gd lakers might not be any good, but they lost because Kawhi Leonard is, apparently, that dude. There aren't four teams in the league who have a guy that can do what Leonard did to the lakers last night.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The near 35 year old LBJ just doesn't have the mojo anymore. He took 19 shots and made 18 points. He played very passively in the 2nd half because he just doesn't have the motor anymore to play an entire game at full tilt. The Clipps played him for the pass because they knew he didn't have the fuel in the tank; LBJ did not dissappoint them with several turnovers down the stretch. I'm going to be very interested to see what kind of energy he plays with after 20 games into the season.

The Lakers have tons of talent. They are big and strong and mean. So are the Clippers. Leonard is All World.
Both of these teams are going to wear out their opponents.
Their style of play is going to be very tough for a softer team like the Kings.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Stephen A. Smith takes exception to LeBron James saying that the lakers and Clippers aren't a rivalry, and asks, "Why was the game broadcast on TNT, if it's not a rivalry?" Well, mileage may vary, but I would answer, "The game was on TNT because TNT, ESPN and the NBA want to manufacture a rivalry that doesn't exist."

What sayeth KingsFans.com?

Stephen A. Smith takes exception to LeBron James saying that the lakers and Clippers aren't a rivalry, and asks, "Why was the game broadcast on TNT, if it's not a rivalry?" Well, mileage may vary, but I would answer, "The game was on TNT because TNT, ESPN and the NBA want to manufacture a rivalry that doesn't exist."

Russia may be behind the "rivalry push." Sowing as much social divides as possible

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Off the subject of the game itself, did any other wrasslin' fans get a chuckle out of the utter contempt and disdain dripping out of Kevin Harlan's voice, as he had to read that AEW promo?

Also, shout out to Reggie for that pithy, "Big wrestling fan, Kevin?" ****, I wish they'd had a live camera on Harlan's face, at that exact moment. :D

Off the subject of the game itself, did any other wrasslin' fans get a chuckle out of the utter contempt and disdain dripping out of Kevin Harlan's voice, as he had to read that AEW promo?

Also, shout out to Reggie for that pithy, "Big wrestling fan, Kevin?" ****, I wish they'd had a live camera on Harlan's face, at that exact moment. :D
I didn't watch but I would love to see a clip.

You're probably right. It goes without saying that a rivalry between two teams in one of the largest media markets wouldn't hurt the bottom line. But I said it anyway.

Maybe but I doubt it. Davis and James are the real deal.
Both teams play in the same town, on the same floor with one of the biggest markets.