[OLY] The Olympics thread, aka Slim's liveblog (warning: OPEN SPOILERS!!!)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
... Because some of us care about more than just Cousins/Team USA at the Olympics.

WARNING: this is the only post I will be making in this thread guaranteed to have no spoilers, because I am watching in real time. I am not waiting on the NBC prime time coverage, and I am absolutely not waiting for the West Coast coverage,
  1. ... because I don't live on the west coast, and
  2. ... because I ain't waiting that long.
So if you don't want to be spoiled, you might want to wait until after the days events to check into this thread.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Ginny Thrasher (USA) won the first gold medal awarded at the Rio Olympics, upsetting 2012 Gold Medalist Du Li (CHN) in the 10m Air Rifle event. Thrasher went into the event ranked #23 in the world, IIRC.

Thrasher will also compete in the 50m Air Rifle event next weekend.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
NED (#11 world ranking) with a come-from-behind 3-2 upset over CHN (#3 world ranking) in Group B pool play indoor volleyball.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
CAN (#9 world ranking) beat down CHN (#8 world ranking) to open up Pool B in women's basketball. Former Monarch Kim Gaucher only had 3 points, but led Canada in rebounds (10) and assists (7).

Canada played a great game, credited with thirty-one assists, on thirty-two made baskets! :eek:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
ICYMI, while I was watching the basketball, defending Olympic gold medalist and World #4 Sarah Menezes (BRA) was upset in the -48kg judo quarters by World #17 Dayaris Mestre (CUB). She still has a chance to win Brazil's first medal of the Olympics, if she can get bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Update: defending gold medalist Sarah Menezes (BRA) was eliminated via armbar submission in the repechage, so she will not deliver a medal to the home team.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
In women's soccer, USA/France knotted up at 0-0 at the half. A couple of nice saves by Hope Solo. USA hasn't had many chances on goal. Officiating has been questionable at best - USA denied a corner kick on an obvious punch save over the cross bar that the officials ruled wasn't touched by the goal keeper (it changed angle like 10 degrees!). Late in the half there was a whistle in the French box that looked like a clear handball on France, but they called a foul on a USA player who clearly did not commit a foul. Frustrating.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
USA women beat France 1-0 on a second half Carly Lloyd rebound shot. Team USA played a bit more downhill in the second half but the defense still looked a bit shaky. Gotta give this win to Hope Solo who was saving goals left and right. Team USA has 6 points in the group - that's enough to advance unless all three groups end up 6-6-6-0 and Team USA loses every possible tiebreaker.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
... Because some of us care about more than just Cousins/Team USA at the Olympics.

WARNING: this is the only post I will be making in this thread guaranteed to have no spoilers, because I am watching in real time. I am not waiting on the NBC prime time coverage, and I am absolutely not waiting for the West Coast coverage,
  1. ... because I don't live on the west coast, and
  2. ... because I ain't waiting that long.
So if you don't want to be spoiled, you might want to wait until after the days events to check into this thread.
See you after the games are over.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I will stay away from this thread, no doubt. I WOULD appreciate it if there was a thread somewhere that simply listed the games, events, or whatever to watch with no reason given. For instance, I enjoyed the archery event.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I will stay away from this thread, no doubt. I WOULD appreciate it if there was a thread somewhere that simply listed the games, events, or whatever to watch with no reason given. For instance, I enjoyed the archery event.
Uh... did you and @VF21 actually look in the #General forum, or did you just see this as the last post from the main page, and assume that this was it? Because I did, in fact, create a Spoiler-free Olympics thread, that's right below this one... It's not my fault if nobody's posting in it.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Uh... did you and @VF21 actually look in the #General forum, or did you just see this as the last post from the main page, and assume that this was it? Because I did, in fact, create a Spoiler-free Olympics thread, that's right below this one... It's not my fault if nobody's posting in it.
I read the posts from the most recent to last. That option is available. I don't usually know what thread I'm so my request was ridiculous. I'll just stay away and enjoy the Olympics on my own as that is possible, ya know.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I read the posts from the most recent to last. That option is available. I don't usually know what thread I'm in and I certainly don't pay as much attention as some others. I'll just stay away and enjoy the Olympics on my own as that is possible, ya know.
Fair enough. But, you lamented that there wasn't a thread without spoilers, and I just pointed out that there is one, it's just that nobody's posted in it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Anyway, as I was saying, USA just played AUS to a tie in women's rugby, in what is got to be considered a mild upset. AUS had to literally score in the final seconds, just to force the tie.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Fair enough. But, you lamented that there wasn't a thread without spoilers, and I just pointed out that there is one, it's just that nobody's posted in it.
It turns out my way of using the forum doesn't fit with what I want. If I used the spoiler free thread, because I don't pay attention to what thread I am in, I'll no doubt provide a spoiler. Best just be quiet.

On to fencing ...............................

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Medal Alert: Mengxue Zhang (CHN) (World ranking #5) wins gold in 10m Air pistol, with an Olympic Record 199.4. No Americans made the final of the event.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Medal Alert: KOR defeats RUS in women's team archery. It is their 8th straight team gold medal: Korea has never lost this event, since it debuted at the Olympics in 1988.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Medal Alert: Daniele Garozzo (ITA) defeats Alexander Massialas (USA) 15-11 to win the gold medal in men's fencing (individual foil). If I heard correctly, it is USA's first medal in individual foil since 1984.