No D in the Paint ...

Well ... after looking at the box score and reading the articles and reading thru many-many of the posts ....

sounds to me like SAME OLE' PROBLEM (rusty or not)

NO "D" IN THE PAINT .... AGAIN (Blazers had lay-up drills)

Kings spent the 2nd-3rd and 4th quarters TRYING TO CATCHUP from a VERY SLOW START (another inconsistency ... 1st quarter slow starts).

Now, if some of you are gonna come back with excuses, like C-Webb, Peja and Mobley need to get their "game legs" back underneath them ... I'll give you that .... but, IT'S A WEAK EXCUSE (I guess it's getting old to hear IT'S JUST ONE GAME).

For Adelman to say, "the defense is there when we need it" .... well, I didn't read about it and THE KING'S NEEDED IT.

Hopefully, we'll see a better performance from our starting 5 vs Phoenix.

Couldn't agree with you more, it seems like we had our chance in 2000 and 2001, but we weren't mentally strong. Now we don't have any identity other than a few promising moments here in there.

HndsmCelt said:
Kings have very stong defender uder the hoop... the problem is Tag spent the whole game on the bench.
I don't think Tag gets back on transition D quicker than the guys we had out there. Our problem with the interior defense is because of the scheme that the Kings play. It requires a lot of rotations to make up for the fact that our team is not fleet of foot. These rotations usually result in cutting off the penetrating guard, which leaves the offensive boards wide open unless the wing player rotates quick enough to get inside an box out. You cannot fix this problem without revamping the roster completely. I just accept the fact that the Kings need to hit shots to win games with the personnel we have.

Last edited:
Folsom Al said:
Well ... after looking at the box score and reading the articles and reading thru many-many of the posts ....

Kings spent the 2nd-3rd and 4th quarters TRYING TO CATCHUP from a VERY SLOW START (another inconsistency ... 1st quarter slow starts).

Now, if some of you are gonna come back with excuses, like C-Webb, Peja and Mobley need to get their "game legs" back underneath them ... I'll give you that .... but, IT'S A WEAK EXCUSE (I guess it's getting old to hear IT'S JUST ONE GAME).

For Adelman to say, "the defense is there when we need it" .... well, I didn't read about it and THE KING'S NEEDED IT.

i agree. the defense was pathetic against portland. like you said, it was a lay-up drill for them. i couldn't stand watching it. it's definitely something the kings need to improve on if they want to win a championship.

defense wins championships.

go kings!!!

S

SaCKiNgS24

Folsom Al said:
i always say never make excuses for games, but i also say dont look back look forward. everytime we lose a game i hear about it like its the end of the world. they lost so what, they will rebound next game. BTW, against the Knicks we only had 42 points in the paint compared to New Yorks 54. Who won that game? Why wasnt that issue brought up then? Was it because we won and no one gave a dam about any of those facts?

SIR HENRY 8 said:
I think TAG would have been a good choice ,but like VT, i agree to slow.
I am begginning to wonder if it is not so much Tag being slow, but Tag being inept on the offensive end.

hehe yah

shooting 27% ... that's unheard of ... hes a 57% career free throw shooter (not that that that bad)

what up with that, what happened to the guy ?

Folsom Al said:

I hate to do this to you again AL, but our interior D looked just as bad against the Knicks the game before all the starters came back. Luckily our only two starters left in that game went for 75.

I Still Love This Game !!!

KP said:
I hate to do this to you again AL, but our interior D looked just as bad against the Knicks the game before all the starters came back. Luckily our only two starters left in that game went for 75.
Sure, there's gonna be games the King's win that they should have lost and vice-versa, there will be games they lose they should have won. That's just something that happens to EVERY team in the NBA.

I don't know where that puts the Knicks game or the Blazers game.

The points in the paint "dropped on our King's" is staggering.

It's pointed-out game-after-game .... how easily players can get to the rim and make EASY BUCKETS. You and I both know they watch tapes, talk about solutions .... how to improve ... etc ...

The following is a quote from Adelman in todays Sac-Bee:

"It's a little disturbing, huh?" Adelman said with a little smile. "We won one, and we lost one. I was surprised we were even in the game at the half with all the run-outs and penetration we allowed."

You see, that's the kinda stuff that PO's me. You know Adelman said more, but the paper probably only quoted a portion of what he actually said. So, with that said .... what's a person to think ???

Folsom Al said:
Sure, there's gonna be games the King's win that they should have lost and vice-versa, there will be games they lose they should have won. That's just something that happens to EVERY team in the NBA.

I don't know where that puts the Knicks game or the Blazers game.

The points in the paint "dropped on our King's" is staggering.

It's pointed-out game-after-game .... how easily players can get to the rim and make EASY BUCKETS. You and I both know they watch tapes, talk about solutions .... how to improve ... etc ...

The following is a quote from Adelman in todays Sac-Bee:

"It's a little disturbing, huh?" Adelman said with a little smile. "We won one, and we lost one. I was surprised we were even in the game at the half with all the run-outs and penetration we allowed."

You see, that's the kinda stuff that PO's me. You know Adelman said more, but the paper probably only quoted a portion of what he actually said. So, with that said .... what's a person to think ???
You're supposed to think, "Holy crap! The Suns are gonna get a ton of points in the paint tuesday!"

Thanks ..

KP said:
You're supposed to think, "Holy crap! The Suns are gonna get a ton of points in the paint tuesday!"
You crack me up !!! LMAO ...

Okay ... okay ... the world ain't gonna come to an end, the sun will rise tomorrow (like the NFL players sang about in that commercial yesterday) and my doggie still loves me ....

but, DAG-NABBIT .... I want the King's to defend better .... is that too much to ask !!!

I was disappointed that RA didn't use the zone more and force Portland to beat us from the outside (we know they can from the inside). Also, why don't we have someone hang back after a made shot and harrass the inbounds pass that usually goes to midcourt or better. This would give our slowfooted guys a little more time to get back and not beat to our basket like we were on at least half a dozen occasions. Our guy could even go right up to the line (yes, I know they're supposed to give the inbounds passer 2-3 feet clearance) and wait for the ref to tell you to get back, which would give us even more time. This extreme tactic may work a couple of times before we get a delay of game warning but if used judiciously (like good fouls) could help in key situations.

Well, there are two things you talk about when addressing defense in the paint. One is post defense and the other is rotation/penetration defense. When you talk about post defense, its primarily Brad and Webb. With Brad the biggest thing, for whatever reason, lack of strength or fundamentals, he has a hard time keeping his man away from their spot on the floor. Usually when Brad is defending a post player, he can get in the paint with little to no resistance. Chris does a better job with that, but he lacks height (and athleticism) to just keep the guy from turning around and shooting over him.

When you talk about easy lay-ups, that's just bad defense on the perimeter players or overall bad team defense, both which as well documented.

Last edited:
Folsom Al said:
You crack me up !!! LMAO ...

Okay ... okay ... the world ain't gonna come to an end, the sun will rise tomorrow (like the NFL players sang about in that commercial yesterday) and my doggie still loves me ....

but, DAG-NABBIT .... I want the King's to defend better .... is that too much to ask !!!
Trust me, I ask the same exact thing everytime I see them give up an easy lay-up(which is a lot). I just hope we can show some toughness (even if we have some defensive breakdowns) and get the win tommorow.

Rowdyone said:
I was disappointed that RA didn't use the zone more and force Portland to beat us from the outside (we know they can from the inside). Also, why don't we have someone hang back after a made shot and harrass the inbounds pass that usually goes to midcourt or better. This would give our slowfooted guys a little more time to get back and not beat to our basket like we were on at least half a dozen occasions. Our guy could even go right up to the line (yes, I know they're supposed to give the inbounds passer 2-3 feet clearance) and wait for the ref to tell you to get back, which would give us even more time. This extreme tactic may work a couple of times before we get a delay of game warning but if used judiciously (like good fouls) could help in key situations.
To your first point, I think Stoudamire and NVE would have torched us for 80 pts if we played a zone. Those guys have the green light to launch a 3 anytime they want. The zone works well when you don't have shooters like that on the other team.

The second point of a bit of a full court press is a great idea. For some unknown reason, NBA teams don't seem to take advantage and beat the press. They usually get the ball across midcourt and then wait for everyone to set up the offense. Until a team beats the press and takes advantage of it, I say it's worth a try.

I was wondering why we didnt bring in Tag, play after play they were attacking the paint and i was expecting him but he never did... we just have to give him solid mins. and he will play good for us in the paint..

Folsom Al said:
im afraid so

just joshin ya ;) ....ofcourse its not too much to ask its one of the two key componenets of the game of basketball as well as any other sport for that matter offense AND defense

it doesn't bother me as much as it bothers so people apparently....they play defense in spurts and thats not good enough especially in the long run....and we must put an end to these slow starts....i can't remember the last time be ran out of the gates like a bat out of hell

No doubt Van Excel and Stoudamire shoot well from outside but they're lower percentage shots that layups! I guess I'm saying that that would have been the lesser of two evils.

I think he shoulda gone to the zone too. It's definately been working... it was kinda puzzling that he didn't.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Folsom Al - While I understand your frustration, it's not like the Kings have ever been a defensive juggernaut. I know you hate excuses but in this case I think there are valid ones for the loss. If anything, we were overdue to lose after pulling out two trememdous wins against all odds.

The Kings lost that game in the first quarter. If you look, after that they actually beat the Blazers. Considering how bad our returning starters looked at first, I'm actually pretty happy the game wasn't a lot more lopsided.

There were times when we played zone, but unfortunately you give up perimeter shots when you do and Portland seemed to capitalize on a lot of their possession when we did go zone.

Bottom line for me is that it was a loss that I can live with. I'm not ecstatic over it, but I didn't lose any sleep over it either.

Having said all that, I would absolutely love to see MUCH MORE defense from our guys. I think Pedja and Cat are both capable of doing better in that regards and I hope to see it from them - and everyone else - tomorrow night. It's gonna take all our weapons to defeat Phoenix.

GO KINGS!!!

KP said:
I think he shoulda gone to the zone too. It's definately been working... it was kinda puzzling that he didn't.
well, the best way to kill a zone defense is to shoot yer way out of it. the way damon stoudamire was throwin up 3's in that game, it might not have been so wise to over-utilize a zone d. it worked well against golden state and new york, because neither has a plethora of outside shooters. it mighta been worth a try, tho, since stoudamire was hittin everything he put up anyways. i attribute most of the poor defense in that game to fatigue and rustiness. the guys who played against new york logged a lotta minutes, and the returning starters' rustiness and lack of conditioning showed.

Padrino said:
well, the best way to kill a zone defense is to shoot yer way out of it. the way damon stoudamire was throwin up 3's in that game, it might not have been so wise to over-utilize a zone d. it worked well against golden state and new york, because neither has a plethora of outside shooters. it mighta been worth a try, tho, since stoudamire was hittin everything he put up anyways. i attribute most of the poor defense in that game to fatigue and rustiness. the guys who played against new york logged a lotta minutes, and the returning starters' rustiness and lack of conditioning showed.
I hate to say it but to be honest I think that our man rotation is so slow that we get more contested shots outa the zone.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Padrino said:
it mighta been worth a try, tho, since stoudamire was hittin everything he put up anyways.
They did try the zone. It just wasn't that effective. I can check my PBP thread to give you the points in the game, if you need them.

:D