NFL Playoffs 2012

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh, believe me. I'm not complaining. You know how it is, though. You have to play a bit of "if only"... ;)

Even though most everyone here is disappointed by the outcome of the games yesterday, that is why I love the NFL. Anything can happen in one game, and that's all it takes to be sent home. I do think the Giants are a better overall team than the 49ers, but that 9er defense just about makes it even. I also think the Ravens were a more complete team than the Patriots but the Patriot D has actually been playing really well of late. Vince Wilfork is a monster.

Scores (last week's scores in parentheses, correct guesses were worth 4 points):

pdxKingsFan - 16 (8)
[RN 8 U ALV] - 16 (8)
[Mike0476] - 15 (8)
uolj - 14 (8)
[Purple Reign] - 13 (4)
Rockmeister - 12 (8)
[Purple Haze] - 11 (4)
VF21 - 10 (4)
SacKings7 - 10 (4)
est.1999 - 8 (4)
Warhawk - 4 (4)
Tetsujin - 4 (-)
kings4lyfe32 - 4 (-)
MassachusettsKingsFan - 4 (-)

-------------

Next up, the Super Bowl:

Sun, Feb 5, 3:20 PM PT NBC
New York Giants vs New England Patriots

For this game we'll have additional points possible to help with tiebreakers, so pick the score as well.

Correctly pick the winner: 8pts
Correctly pick the margin (winner must be correct): 4pts
Correctly pick the Patriots' score: 3pts
Correctly pick the Giants' score: 3pts
Off of Patriots' score by 1: 2pts
Off of Giants' score by 1: 2pts
Off of Patriots' score by 2: 1pt
Off of Giants' score by 2: 1pt

Haven't participated yet (mainly because I forgot to predict the Wild Card and haven't had bothered since) but have to do Super Bowl -

GIANTS 27 - 24.

I'm sick to my stomach. The giants are the luckiest team ever. Two fumbles go their way, Welker drops a sure batch, bs forward progress call against sf. My hate for them is reaching laker hate levels. Unbelievable.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm sick to my stomach. The giants are the luckiest team ever. Two fumbles go their way, Welker drops a sure batch, bs forward progress call against sf. My hate for them is reaching laker hate levels. Unbelievable.
I hate them too but this is going to fade a lot faster than last time. Neither team was the best team in the NFL this year, nor arguably in their conference.

Gronk being a non-factor really sucks. I hope Bernard Pollard misses his next game against the Pats.

Why not? Check the PPY(points per yard) stats. Niners ranked number 1. And if you don't think that's an important stat know that Vegas uses that to figure out game lines and the heaviest bettors in the world use that stat to make bets. Niners had the best defense. The best special teams. A solid offense. Fewest turnovers. Tied for most forced turnovers. Number 1 in turnover differential. When you factor in all aspects of football the 49ers were the best team in football this year. The best team doesn't always win in football though.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Just my opinion, but Baltimore, NO and GB were the three most complete teams in the league this season. Even though I have always been kinder than most to Alex Smith, I think he is only a sub-par QB. Doesn't mean another year of seasoning won't change my mind, but I won't rank any team as "the best" without an elite QB.

Off seasons are always crazy but I think it could very well be 9ers and Pats next year. Pats weren't supposed to make it to the SB this year and I thought they looked mediocre until they got to the easy part of their schedule but they are just a few puzzle pieces away from having a complete team again - shore up the secondary and get a legit #1 WR.

Baltimore doesn't have an elite qb. The packers are soft and have no defense whatsoever. I think if NO had home field they may have rolled to the SB. But their defense is suspect too. I'm not saying that you're being ignorant, but I watched the niners play all year and the only people I ever heard question their legitimacy were people that didn't watch them play.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Note I just said they were the 3 most complete teams, I just think all three were better than the 9ers and Pats and would win 3 out of 5 meetings on a neutral field.

I don't buy the GB defense sucks argument, their offense was just too good that it compromised the defense. Lots of cherry picking of stats. The Pats defense was the "second worst defense" but it wasn't the defense that cost them the game.

I think Flacco is overrated but he's miles better than most of his detractors give him credit for. Fringe top-5 QB, but right now the top 3 are miles above whoever you want to slot at 4 and 5.

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Peyton, Eli, Rivers, Big Ben, and possibly Schaub are all better than Flacco IMO.

The Niners were the most complete team in football. The stats and performances back that up. You mentioned two teams who are juggernauts at offense and weak on D, and another team(Bal) who I think is like SF but a couple notches below.

Final Scores

Super Bowl:

New York Giants 21
New England Patriots 17

And our overall scores (points for Super Bowl in parentheses):

[Purple Reign] - 21 (8)
VF21 - 18 (8)
SacKings7 - 18 (8)
pdxKingsFan - 18 (2)
[RN 8 U ALV] - 16 (-)
[Mike0476] - 15 (0)
uolj - 14 (0)
Rockmeister - 14 (2)
[Purple Haze] - 11 (0)
est.1999 - 10 (2)
frownifdown - 8 (8)
kingsnation - 8 (8)
telemachus - 8 (8)
Warhawk - 4 (-)
Tetsujin - 4 (-)
kings4lyfe32 - 4 (-)
MassachusettsKingsFan - 4 (-)

I grabbed the predictions from our KingsFans Pick'Em game on Yahoo, and that's how Purple Reign ended up with 21 points which would have been the most here. For those that predicted in this thread, VF21, SacKings7 and pdxKingsFan all tied with 18. According to my tiebreakers from last year, pdx gets third for not picking the winner this week, and VF and SK7 just end in a tie at #1.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The Niners were the most complete team in football. The stats and performances back that up. You mentioned two teams who are juggernauts at offense and weak on D, and another team(Bal) who I think is like SF but a couple notches below.
Stats and performances be damned, these teams played and the result on the field does not back that up.

Stats and performances be damned, these teams played and the result on the field does not back that up.
One game (or two in the case of the 49ers-Giants) is not enough to determine who was the better team. It just tells you who was better on that particular day and under those particular circumstances.

You play the games to determine who wins the championship, but that doesn't mean the champion is actually the best team.

I agree with pdx that the 9ers were not the best team in the NFL this year. Not to take anything away from them, they had a fantastic year and should be back again next year if that defense stays in tact, but I think the Ravens were the most complete team all season. I never thought I'd say that with Flacco being the starting QB, but he had a pretty good year. They never lost to any playoff or playoff-caliber teams all season other than the Patriots a few weeks ago.

I think the only thing stopping the 9ers from being the most complete team (and perhaps champions) this season was experience. That'll come with time if they can stay in the playoff hunt. But I don't believe in Alex Smith. At least not yet.

I tend to agree with the argument that Baltimore was the most complete team. Green Bay, NO and New England all had crappy defenses. NYG were inconsistent but got hot at the right time. SF was right there but Baltimore was the better team out of the two.

The 2 teams that I really think could be very good next year? The Texans and Bears. Chicago was 7-2(?) this year before the injuries to Cutler and Forte. Next year, if healthy, that team (along with a restructured GB & a more mature DET) is going to make for one amazing race in the North.

I also believe Philly will be back in contention as well.