NFL 2022-2023 Season Thread

Ugh next season is not shaping up to be a good one if Brock needs TJ surgery.

Just resign Jimmy to another 1 year deal, run Lance as the backup and hand it back over to Brock the season after.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Ugh next season is not shaping up to be a good one if Brock needs TJ surgery.

Just resign Jimmy to another 1 year deal, run Lance as the backup and hand it back over to Brock the season after.
I’d rather just roll in and chance it with Lance. I think he stinks but gotta get him reps somehow.

Later, Jim.

I’d rather just roll in and chance it with Lance. I think he stinks but gotta get him reps somehow.

Later, Jim.
I'll take another run at the SB while Brock heals. Not looking to waste a SB run on a year of Lance development to only have Brock take over the reigns again once he's healthy.

Jimmy ain't great but we at least have a shot at a ring with him.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'll take another run at the SB while Brock heals. Not looking to waste a SB run on a year of Lance development to only have Brock take over the reigns again once he's healthy.

Jimmy ain't great but we at least have a shot at a ring with him.
It’s a swing and a miss. We know what Jim brings and that’s close but no cigar. Would we have a better season with him next year? Probably. Will we win a Super Bowl with Jim? Never.

It’s a swing and a miss. We know what Jim brings and that’s close but no cigar. Would we have a better season with him next year? Probably. Will we win a Super Bowl with Jim? Never.
Jimmy G was within one simple throw of winning the SB. Yeah he failed at it but what are the odds that Lance gets you that close? I'll take my chances with Jimmy G having another crack at it vs. not even knowing if a playoff berth is possible with Lance under center. You don't get too many rosters like this one. I'm not wasting it on a pointless developmental year for a guy who has barely played any football in years.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
O Line should always be a top priority but I think people are just looking to place the blame on something. The Niners offensive line was in the top 1/3 according to PFF rankings. Not the best but definitely above average. Gave up the 6th least amount of sacks as well.

The QBs just had poor luck. The only person I really blame is Shanahan for Lance's injury because he kept continuing to call all those ineffective designed runs for him. Then again, that may have been a season saving injury as well with the way Jimmy G and Purdy led the team afterward.
It's not about assigning blame, just being honest about where we need to get better. It was easy enough to call Jimmy G injury-prone when he's only played a full season once in his career but when the same problem persists regardless of who we put at the position, that suggests to me that there is a bigger issue than just bad luck. The Niners offensive scheme is heavily run oriented and Mike McGlinchey is great at run blocking so his PFF scores are high but he's also probably the worst starting right tackle in the league in pass protection. If the Jimmy G era is truly over and our QB room is going to be two young guys who are now coming off major injuries early in their careers, I hope Shanahan and Lynch prioritize pass protection more than they have been.

It's not about assigning blame, just being honest about where we need to get better. It was easy enough to call Jimmy G injury-prone when he's only played a full season once in his career but when the same problem persists regardless of who we put at the position, that suggests to me that there is a bigger issue than just bad luck. The Niners offensive scheme is heavily run oriented and Mike McGlinchey is great at run blocking so his PFF scores are high but he's also probably the worst starting right tackle in the league in pass protection. If the Jimmy G era is truly over and our QB room is going to be two young guys who are now coming off major injuries early in their careers, I hope Shanahan and Lynch prioritize pass protection more than they have been.
I agree that McGlinchey has been a big disappointment in pass protection but I'm seeing this narrative online that the O Line is the reason why all our QBs got hurt and there's just no statistical evidence that shows that our QBs were running for their lives all year. Our D line hit opposing QBs a lot more than opposing D lines hit our QBs and we rarely, if at all, knocked an opposing QB out of the game. There's probably QBs out there that took twice the amount of hits that our QBs took and they went injury free. Just terrible luck.

I'm all for beefing up the O line no matter what year it is.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I agree that McGlinchey has been a big disappointment in pass protection but I'm seeing this narrative online that the O Line is the reason why all our QBs got hurt and there's just no statistical evidence that shows that our QBs were running for their lives all year. Our D line hit opposing QBs a lot more than opposing D lines hit our QBs and we rarely, if at all, knocked an opposing QB out of the game. There's probably QBs out there that took twice the amount of hits that our QBs took and they went injury free. Just terrible luck.

I'm all for beefing up the O line no matter what year it is.
I guess a better way to put it is to think about how terrible the Niners offense has been with fill-in QBs and how good they looked with Purdy. Franchise level QBs are hard to find. Having someone on that front line who mostly does their job but once or twice a game let's the QB get blown up by missing their assignment is not acceptable risk to me. Not when all it takes is one play to end your season if the QB is hurt.