Next head coach candidates

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If we end up with Balgey as the starting 5... lets all just hope we dont draw Utah in the first round because Gobert is a certified nightmare matchup..
Gobert has problems with beefy guys, not guys built like Bagley. He had more problems with Swan than Bagley. I think the Kings are going to get a guy with more beef for the center position this offseason. Napear has said repeatedly now that the Kings are going to have another starting center next season, and he isn't talking about Bagley.

I feel the Kings should go after someone from the Raptors coaching staff, Adrian Griffin or Sergio Scariolo. I think we need to maximize our transition offense. Our transition offense is 1st in frequency but only 10th in efficiency.

The Raptors is 3rd in transition frequency and 1st in transition efficiency. Griffin is the Raptors' top assistant. Before that he was with the Thunders so he knows how to work with super-charged, attacking point guard.

The Kings have talent to lead the league in both transition frequency and efficiency.

If Portland gets smacked in the first round and they fire Terry Stotts, I'd consider him too. Better coach than Joerger, and he is also extremely well liked by his players.... He deserved the coach of the year few seasons back but they gave it to Kerr.
If Portland is dumb enough to fire Stotts then he should absolutely be the guy. He is a fantastic coach.

I’m still of the opinion that Joerger is greatly underrated by some people on here. What did him in was quarreling with Brandon Williams. Vlade just doesn’t tolerate that stuff. The Kings are going to be hard pressed to get as good a coach as
Joerger right now. Vlade has to nail this.
Agree completely.

I also understand why Vlade felt he had to do what he did given all of the circumstances, including timing.

But it’s extremely important that he get the right person now. Remember, the next hire might also feel empowered by the notion that the KINGS won’t want to fire another coach so soon. So it’s gotta work out.

Gobert has problems with beefy guys, not guys built like Bagley. He had more problems with Swan than Bagley. I think the Kings are going to get a guy with more beef for the center position this offseason. Napear has said repeatedly now that the Kings are going to have another starting center next season, and he isn't talking about Bagley.
Honestly, I think Joerger getting fired lessened the chances that WCS is back.

We can infer who Joerger did and did not believe in based on all the information that came out.

He was a believer in Fox, Barnes (albeit at the wrong position), Bogi, and WCS.

He wasn't a strong believer in Buddy, Bagley, and Giles.

Joerger was probably the biggest person in the organization in Willie's corner (though WCS would probably say otherwise). He spent half of last year trying to force him into his high-post offense in a half-baked attempt to develop his offensive game.

I imagine Zeljko Obradovic as a head coach. just for fun. For you not familiar with him, he is the best international basketball coach ever, most trophies. Now realistically I doubt that will ever happen even if only him is concerned, for there would be a big chance he fails in some way and then his career is now not spotless anymore. But I can imagine him and the Kings (especially serbian friend Vlade) taking a risk. He could have appropriate assistants for the situation. Now the Kings are on a great pathway and their way is only up, so no reason to risk, but Obradovic is always only about absolute success with his teams, meaning he won Euroleague with 5 different teams, 9 trophies in 23 seasons, just 6 times not reaching semi-finals, with only team he coached not winning the championship being Benetton in the only season he coached them and finished 3rd instead. Won 380, lost 158 games so far (.706%).
Now another problem is Obradovic, as most european coaches, is way to harsh to his players. But let say he adapts. You can get better drawn plays than his. He also used to coach Bjeli and Bogi on their last team in europe
Not fitting in the NBA probably for the reason you mention.
With players who are willing to shut up, listen and learn... that would be a dream scenario.
Messina is a good choice as well.

from what I understand of Monty Williams, he is a very nice guy. The players love him because he is very much a players coach. I’ve heard he is so much a players coach that “experts” on espn have said that the kings would have to stack their asst ranks with x’s and o’s type hard asses to offset what Monty brings. I don’t know a lot of MW. Would appreciate anyone who knows more of him to either confirm or deny what I heard on espn. Doesn’t sound like the type of coach I’d want.

from what I understand of Monty Williams, he is a very nice guy. The players love him because he is very much a players coach. I’ve heard he is so much a players coach that “experts” on espn have said that the kings would have to stack their asst ranks with x’s and o’s type hard asses to offset what Monty brings. I don’t know a lot of MW. Would appreciate anyone who knows more of him to either confirm or deny what I heard on espn. Doesn’t sound like the type of coach I’d want.
I heard needing more assistants was one of the problems with Walton. Front office said he needed more to help devolop is young guys and he didn't. Look at how Randle and Russle blew up after going to other teams and how Ingram etc stalled

I heard needing more assistants was one of the problems with Walton. Front office said he needed more to help devolop is young guys and he didn't. Look at how Randle and Russle blew up after going to other teams and how Ingram etc stalled
No, Randle blew up on the lakers last year and the coaching staff begged for him to be resigned as well as Lopez. Lebron vetoed

I get Williams. I don't get the interest in Luke. He's had a few years with a bad team that had some young players and hasn't proved anything. For Vlade to say he's looking for a guy to take this team to the next level, Luke being a frontrunner makes zero sense.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I get Williams. I don't get the interest in Luke. He's had a few years with a bad team that had some young players and hasn't proved anything. For Vlade to say he's looking for a guy to take this team to the next level, Luke being a frontrunner makes zero sense.
Luke had people thinking the Lakers were going a breakout (or at the very least, a rising) team. They were doing well until LBJ injured himself then proceeded to alienate the entire roster.

I’m not 100% sold on Luke, but it isn’t like he’s some loser off the scrap heap.

I don't think that Vlade is making decisions haphazardly. I'm pretty sure he has some good, unique insight on Walton, otherwise he wouldn't have positioned the Kings to offer Walton the coaching job so early on. I take it as a positive sign in terms of how good of a coach he is projected to be. I'm really enjoying it all while I warm my bum by the 7akers dumpster fire.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's worth waiting to see if a playoff team fires their coach out of no where after not making the finals. Happened with Dwayne Casey and others so maybe we can get a good coach that way.

Luke had people thinking the Lakers were going a breakout (or at the very least, a rising) team. They were doing well until LBJ injured himself then proceeded to alienate the entire roster.

I’m not 100% sold on Luke, but it isn’t like he’s some loser off the scrap heap.
I didn't say he was a loser, I said he's proved nothing so far in his career. He could end up being great with the kings, or horrible. But for a guy who is supposed to take a young and inexperienced team to the next level, as Vlade has said, he's got no proven ability to do so.

I used to watch a lot of the Pelicans when Evans was with them (so the latter half of Monty's time there). Let's just say that purely from a Xs and Os perspective, that team was dumb. Offense and defense were bad.

I didn't say he was a loser, I said he's proved nothing so far in his career. He could end up being great with the kings, or horrible. But for a guy who is supposed to take a young and inexperienced team to the next level, as Vlade has said, he's got no proven ability to do so.

This is all true but none of the candidates really have. If they go with Walton I am more solidified in the fact that there is a reason that involves both personality and play style. It definitely means they want to play more like the Warriors and the Kings ran some of that same offense this year. I still think getting someone a little closer to a Quin Snyder or Mike D'Antoni style wise is a better fit but in the end it's all ball movement and pace. The team looked good the first half of the year until they started to focus way too much on the interior.

I used to watch a lot of the Pelicans when Evans was with them (so the latter half of Monty's time there). Let's just say that purely from a Xs and Os perspective, that team was dumb. Offense and defense were bad.
Exactly that, I would take Walton over him any day even I am not sold on Walton.

If coddling our players is what is sorely needed, then a coach is not that position. A coach should surely have a great relationship with his team, but he also needs to be brilliant in outsmarting his opponent. He is the sideline general after all.

Messina is a great basketball mind and he is one the best Euro coaches ever. I think he also can be a legendary college coach since he is a great teacher, not just a manager.
However, he is a hardass indeed and is also stubborn and arrogant. I remember that many CSKA players mentioned in their interviews that they respected him a lot but he was also very, very difficult.

I think hardass coaches can be successful in NBA too but they have to be like Pop or Gomelsky - demanding, sometimes harsh but still be players' coaches. Mike Malone is like that too and I am afraid that Messina is not.
Very difficult in what sense? If he is anything like Popovich, then that's great. Coach should held players accountable and make sure they follow plays. And i think Joeger did just that...being disciplined which is great. This is not what got him fire. What got him fire is making dumb substitutions, playing ineffective guys too long or resting starters too long. He doesn't play chess match imo and that can be the difference between winning and losing. He is unpredictable in his coaching, from resting to how minutes guys are supposed to get, to using the wrong lineups....this is what pissed me off when i see the Kings losing so many close games.