Next head coach candidates

Bagley sure as hell isnt a 5 right now. He got exposed when trying that spot.
You get that I’m not saying Bagley is a 5 right? Just that many have different opinions than Vlade and almost no one but Vlade sees him spending time at the 3.

Can Vlade find a coach who shares his vision?

You get that I’m not saying Bagley is a 5 right? Just that many have different opinions than Vlade and almost no one but Vlade sees him spending time at the 3.

The real question is if Vlade wants a coach who shares a vision of MG3 as a SF, do we want that person coaching the team? Because that sounds a lot more like Vivek's 4 on 5 defense than it does an acute NBA mind.

The real question is if Vlade wants a coach who shares a vision of MG3 as a SF, do we want that person coaching the team? Because that sounds a lot more like Vivek's 4 on 5 defense than it does an acute NBA mind.
I'm guessing if you asked Vlade what position he thinks Bags is, he'll say he's a 4. His comments that he has the ability to play the 3 in the future were completely blown out of proportion. I've seen enough from Bags in his first year to think that he probably does have the ability to play the 3, 4 or 5 in the NBA based on matchups, but that his natural position is the 4. I doubt Vlade would disagree with that assessment.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

I don’t get why people must mess with natural positions. Bags is as natural a 4 as Barnes is a 3. Don’t overcomplicate it. That goes for everyone, Vlade the new coach, whoever.

If only we could get Spoelstra
Spoelstra would be a perfect hire but unfortunately Pat Riley is not a irrational/impatient, so I don't think Spoelstra is going anywhere. Riley knows what he has and Spoelstra has got as much out of that roster the last few years as anybody could. When I watch Miami play I'm impressed with how hard they play and they never quit.

Spoelstra would be a perfect hire but unfortunately Pat Riley is not a irrational/impatient, so I don't think Spoelstra is going anywhere. Riley knows what he has and Spoelstra has got as much out of that roster the last few years as anybody could. When I watch Miami play I'm impressed with how hard they play and they never quit.
That Miami team's future looks pretty bleak and it's been that way since the big 3 left. Their future prospects are Josh Richardson, Justise Winslow, and Bam Adebayo. While all solid players, there's no star in that group.

Miami is just in a weird limbo.

That Miami team's future looks pretty bleak and it's been that way since the big 3 left. Their future prospects are Josh Richardson, Justise Winslow, and Bam Adebayo. While all solid players, there's no star in that group.

Miami is just in a weird limbo.
Spoelstra has actually coached them a bit too well the last few years. They're just good enough to be in contention for the playoffs but not bad enough to get get a Top-5 pick and draft another Wade. That's what does suck about the NBA Draft lottery. Teams like Phoenix can continually tank and just blow one Top-5 draft pick after another while teams like Miami that actually try to win (and just don't have quite enough talent) get stuck in mediocrity purgatory.

Might as well start a fresh thread on this. I’ve already seen some names on social media......and then on here. Remember before Vlade settled on Joerger, his list was extensive. No reason not for his list to be extensive once again, especially with a desirable team.
Luke Walton
Ettore Messina
Monte Williams
MarkJackson
Doug Christie
Any college guys?
Tyronne Lue
Stan Van Gundy
The available options are just....depressing.

If Riley wasn’t there people would bash Spolstra like they do Blatt/Walton cause of King Drama. He was supposed to be fired half way through that first season but Riley wasn’t having it

I pray LA fires Walton

Update on Luke Walton's status. Reports here is SoCal is that the Lakers are not going to make a decision on Walton until they hire a new President of Basketball Operations to replace Magic Johnson. That may be a few weeks from now.

Word here is, once the new Laker President is in place, they will decide Walton's fate.

<looking at the KINGS roster and noticing 2 recent Dukies> “hey, lets go get that Coach K guy! Maybe he’s finally ready to try his hand at coaching in the NBA!”

<yes, totally being sarcastic — unless he actually comes then I’m just right>

I imagine Zeljko Obradovic as a head coach. just for fun. For you not familiar with him, he is the best international basketball coach ever, most trophies. Now realistically I doubt that will ever happen even if only him is concerned, for there would be a big chance he fails in some way and then his career is now not spotless anymore. But I can imagine him and the Kings (especially serbian friend Vlade) taking a risk. He could have appropriate assistants for the situation. Now the Kings are on a great pathway and their way is only up, so no reason to risk, but Obradovic is always only about absolute success with his teams, meaning he won Euroleague with 5 different teams, 9 trophies in 23 seasons, just 6 times not reaching semi-finals, with only team he coached not winning the championship being Benetton in the only season he coached them and finished 3rd instead. Won 380, lost 158 games so far (.706%).
Now another problem is Obradovic, as most european coaches, is way to harsh to his players. But let say he adapts. You can't get better drawn plays than his. He also used to coach Bjeli and Bogi on their last team in europe

Last edited:
My bet: Monty Williams.

Checks off the boxes: age, previous NBA coaching experience, availability, NBA playing experience, perseverance (how he dealt with his wife's death)...

Messina seems to not fit from an age perspective.
Walton's situation is going to drag out.
Williams can be sealed within a week.

I’d like to see Vogel get an interview. I know many on this board including myself, wanted him before Joerger was hired and he ended up in Orlando. He had some rough rosters and tons of injuries to deal with but was criticized for his rotations much like here.

My top college coach would be Larry Krystowiak. That dude can coach. But he's likely too defensive for the NBA. The same goes for Tony Bennett, Chris Beard...

If Portland gets smacked in the first round and they fire Terry Stotts, I'd consider him too. Better coach than Joerger, and he is also extremely well liked by his players.... He deserved the coach of the year few seasons back but they gave it to Kerr.

Last edited:
People naming college coaches are joking right
Coach Cal is literally the only candidate worth discussing from college and it's because of the impact he could have in free agency... these other names are like plan-z type of fallbacks.

THE KINGS NEED A GUY TO TAKE THIS TEAM TO THE NEXT LEVEL PEOPLE.... NOT SOMEONE JUST GETTING THEIR FEET WET..

If the Kings hire a brand new coach and they take a step back management will look ridiculously dumb and like they overplayed their hand. This is a delicate situation.

Listen to what Vlade said, he thinks this is a spot coaches/players would love to coem and join, that means he thinks he's gonna get a top candidate... This is absolutely an inappropriate time to integrate a new coach from college..

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Do you guys think the Kings could realistically poach a coach? Here's some pros....
  1. Young, fast, athletic, and very talented team who just won 39 games. The coach wouldn't be at the baby steps of a rebuild, they'd at the steps of a fringe playoff team with potential to be very good.
  2. 21yrs old De'Aaron Fox is one of the most promising PGs in the NBA at only 21 yearsold with superstar potential. PG is the most important position in this league.
  3. 20yrs old Marvin Bagley looks promising alongside Fox, super athletic for modern NBA
  4. Supporting cast is respectively young and also very good.
    1. 26yrs old Buddy Hield is only in his 3rd season and is already a top 10 SG.
    2. 26yrs old Harrison Barnes is a solid 3&D SF with good NBA experience.
    3. 26yrs old Bogdan is a high IQ swiss army knife
  5. Cap space to add more talent. We could potential try to go after a big named FA since we'd have some $$
  6. Chance to be part of a large turnaround in NBA history
I agree that the Kings' coaching job is going to be in demand. Every coach in the NBA knows the talent on this young team and are going to want to mold it for success.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I’m still of the opinion that Joerger is greatly underrated by some people on here. What did him in was quarreling with Brandon Williams. Vlade just doesn’t tolerate that stuff. The Kings are going to be hard pressed to get as good a coach as
Joerger right now. Vlade has to nail this.

I lifted this from my buddy, but what do people think about Sam Cassell? He’s been getting good experience as an assistant and has a very high b-ball IQ.