Next head coach candidates

Interpersonal might be good but if his work with new Orleans is any indication he isn't a good coach.
He’s had time to step away for a bit as a front office guy for the Spurs (when his wife died in a car accident) and as an assistant coach for the Sixers. I actually disagree about his time in New Orleans. They got to the playoffs twice with him (3 of those 5 years were rebuilding years) and though they got swept by the Warriors, they made them sweat a bit. Anthony Davis credits alot his development and transition to the NBA to Monty Williams.

Why would anyone want Messina considering the reports of Joerger being too much of a hardass coach? Messina has the same track record
Because a young team like ours needs a hardass coach!

I am not happy with what has happened here. We are changing coaches as ofter as underwear. It is not a good look. Kings were seen as the darlings of the NBA this season and a lot of that is because of coach Joerger and his staff who worked tirelessly to develop players and teach them to play the right way. A lot of the goodwill developed this season has been undone today.

Can’t help but feel this move will have an impact on FA and coaching interests and bot in a positive way.

I love Messina and what he has done in Europe but he is still unproven as the main guy on NBA level. Looking at the list of candidates I can’t help but feel that Joerger is better coach than any of them for various reasons.

I hope I am wrong but there is a bit of Mike Malone feel about this whole thing. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Ruling with an iron fist is the style of coaching in Europe in general. While I’m sure you’re right he’s still largely that way, under Popovich he’s grown and seen it’s ultimately a players league and been outspoken in interviews about the need to adjust to the culture in the NBA. We won’t know for sure until he takes over somewhere but I’m willing to find out
Let’s be real here. Pop is a hard ass himself but he has the ability to rip the shreds off players and then win the over straight after that.

Because a young team like ours needs a hardass coach!

I am not happy with what has happened here. We are changing coaches as ofter as underwear. It is not a good look. Kings were seen as the darlings of the NBA this season and a lot of that is because of coach Joerger and his staff who worked tirelessly to develop players and teach them to play the right way. A lot of the goodwill developed this season has been undone today.

Can’t help but feel this move will have an impact on FA and coaching interests and bot in a positive way.

I love Messina and what he has done in Europe but he is still unproven as the main guy on NBA level. Looking at the list of candidates I can’t help but feel that Joerger is better coach than any of them for various reasons.

I hope I am wrong but there is a bit of Mike Malone feel about this whole thing. The grass is not always greener on the other side.
While I 100% agree with this, it seems like one of the reasons why the team fired Joerger is because he was too much of that.

I do think Messina could be a good coach in the NBA, but I don't think he'd be the right coach for this group. If they can't handle Dave Joerger, how will they be able to handle Messina? I do think former NBA player with coaching experience would be best for this group of players who can't handle adversity. Monty Williams would be ok.. but not my first choice.

While I 100% agree with this, it seems like one of the reasons why the team fired Joerger is because he was too much of that.

I do think Messina could be a good coach in the NBA, but I don't think he'd be the right coach for this group. If they can't handle Dave Joerger, how will they be able to handle Messina? I do think former NBA player with coaching experience would be best for this group of players who can't handle adversity. Monty Williams would be ok.. but not my first choice.

Hardasses are the best coaches, hence Joerger’s record even if he rubbed folks wrong

Now we need a hardass who the players like

Messina is it

The best candidate from the college ranks would OBVIOUSLY be Coach Cal... To hand him the reigns to this team, in this offseason, would be nothing short of a major power move...

Vivek would need to pay him huge $$$$ to make it happen tho i think he's a made man and going nowhere. His value in coercing talent here would be worth every penny they'd spend on him tho..
I think if Tony Bennett wanted to make the jump, this would be a great opportunity. Former NBA player. He's been at Virginia for 10 years and finally won a championship after building the program up. He's 49 yearsold, so the jump now would make a lot of sense. He is paid very good at VU with 4mpy, but the Kings could offer more. I think his offense would help our team....but his pack line defense would need to die once he reaches the NBA. I think he would be a hard get, but this is a great opportunity for him. Kings are a youngish team with 2 budding stars. He doesn't have to start from scratch. Instead, he already has good players.

Jay Wright is another name. He's been in the college ranks for over 20 years.. maybe he wants a change of scenery?

Hardasses are the best coaches, hence Joerger’s record even if he rubbed folks wrong

Now we need a hardass who the players like

Messina is it
If the coach can connect with players, have their backs, and they believe in him, a hardass coach can work. Otherwise....disaster. I don't know Messina at all other than his name, list of qualifications (which are outstanding), and that he has Pop's seal of approval. If he has the personality to connect with the players and get them to buy in, I'm all for it. But, otherwise he makes me nervous.

First-time poster here just joined the forum. Sorry if I'm speaking out of turns. But here's my 2 cents.

Kings GM Vlade Divac addresses the firing of coach Dave Joerger | Full Press Conference

If you listen to Vlade talk, it feels like Messina could indeed be high on his list because Vlade insists on the point of "taking the team to a different direction" from Joerger. Obviously, it could be smoke screen/boilerplate excuse, but so far Vlade seems to be someone who doesn't mind speaking his mind, in a bigger picture kind of way. You know, like about how we are already a young super team or how clear he is with the direction he wants the team to go. Hence why we always from the outside feel like he is speaking nonsense.

No Walton!! He doesn't do squat but sit and drink kool AID!....lay back

I don't know about whether Messina is like Dave Joerger. What I do know is Joerger stubbornness cannot be tolerated. It hurts the team. When you see certain Kings players playing their butt off and playing so well ONLY to be screwed up by the coach's bogus substitution, it's disheartening. The coach not willing to play chess match to match up with the other team's strength because he think he can fool around a bit if the Kings are leading. His full stubbornness is in full display last night against Portland when he think he can just sit the starters and cruise to victory. But it wasn't just last night. He does it so often in many games that you kind of get tired of it. There is reason the Kings keep losing so many close games and one of it is the coach, he doesn't have that killer instinct sort of like putting a dagger down the opponents' throats when they're down. Instead, this coach is relax and chill when his team is up and change lineup or take players to shift momentum. Oh and not to mention criticizing his player (Hield) for making a great shot to tie the game up in crunch time. What kind of coach does that?? You don't think psychological that it does not have an effect on Hield? No wonder he hesitate to take the winning shot right after the next possession because he was being yelled at by this bogus coach. What kind of coach go out and say that the Kings make a mistake of not drafting Doncic? Does he ever wonder what if any that would have an effect on his own player (Bagley)? This coach then came back and announce Fox and Bagley to be the next Curry and Durant. You can't make this stuffs up, folks. This is psychotic.

isn't 2 rings enough?? o_O
I mean though what would happen to Villanova if he left.... it'd crumble... there'd be somethign left but not what it was...

He has his best recruiting class yet incoming too I think anyways...

Tony Bennett at UVA i dont think there's a chance he'd leave that place...

I mean though what would happen to Villanova if he left.... it'd crumble... there'd be somethign left but not what it was...

He has his best recruiting class yet incoming too I think anyways...

Tony Bennett at UVA i dont think there's a chance he'd leave that place...
Not a chance with Tony Bennett. He'd have to change his whole offensive philosophy to coach in the NBA. The mover blocker and it's slooooooow pace would be a terrible fit. Jay Wright's offensive philosophy would fit with our team. Plus he's a great player development guy, which can't be said for a lot of coaches.

Do you guys think the Kings could realistically poach a coach? Here's some pros....
  1. Young, fast, athletic, and very talented team who just won 39 games. The coach wouldn't be at the baby steps of a rebuild, they'd at the steps of a fringe playoff team with potential to be very good.
  2. 21yrs old De'Aaron Fox is one of the most promising PGs in the NBA at only 21 yearsold with superstar potential. PG is the most important position in this league.
  3. 20yrs old Marvin Bagley looks promising alongside Fox, super athletic for modern NBA
  4. Supporting cast is respectively young and also very good.
    1. 26yrs old Buddy Hield is only in his 3rd season and is already a top 10 SG.
    2. 26yrs old Harrison Barnes is a solid 3&D SF with good NBA experience.
    3. 26yrs old Bogdan is a high IQ swiss army knife
  5. Cap space to add more talent. We could potential try to go after a big named FA since we'd have some $$
  6. Chance to be part of a large turnaround in NBA history

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The best candidate from the college ranks would OBVIOUSLY be Coach Cal... To hand him the reigns to this team, in this offseason, would be nothing short of a major power move...

Vivek would need to pay him huge $$$$ to make it happen tho i think he's a made man and going nowhere. His value in coercing talent here would be worth every penny they'd spend on him tho..
Cal would probably want player personnel power too though

Messina is a great basketball mind and he is one the best Euro coaches ever. I think he also can be a legendary college coach since he is a great teacher, not just a manager.
However, he is a hardass indeed and is also stubborn and arrogant. I remember that many CSKA players mentioned in their interviews that they respected him a lot but he was also very, very difficult.

I think hardass coaches can be successful in NBA too but they have to be like Pop or Gomelsky - demanding, sometimes harsh but still be players' coaches. Mike Malone is like that too and I am afraid that Messina is not.

Sure so are Malone, Pop, Pat Riley et al.

Point is that being a hard ass is not the problem. Being a hardass that doesn’t have his players back is.
Then what's Joerger then?

Malone's a hardass that players love, even the notoriously prickly Cousins.

Joerger? Well, Conley was very lukewarm on him and Gasol hated him. Here, stuff hasn't come out yet but the guys here are lukewarm on him at best and it wouldn't be a shock to find out it was definitely worse.

Cal would probably want player personnel power too though
It would all be about Anthony Davis though really, the rest of the core pieces are in place..

I dont think Vlade is so silly to turn down the guy who can possibly deliver us Anthony Davis..

He showed up to the last game wearing a looney tunes style "thats all folks" t-shirt..

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Sure so are Malone, Pop, Pat Riley et al.

Point is that being a hard ass is not the problem. Being a hardass that doesn’t have his players back is.
And I think that this is ultimately what got Joerger fired.

He was a hardass and good X's and O's guy but whereas Cal or Coach K would back up their hardass-ness with tough love behind the scenes and effervescent boosterism, Joerger would make passive aggressive statements that he would have to walk back or clarify the next day and do dumb things like decide Harrison Barnes was our power forward at the expense of the team's starting forward to that point in the season with relatively no justification.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It would all be about Anthony Davis though really, the rest of the core pieces are in place..

I dont think Vlade is so silly to turn down the guy who can possibly deliver us Anthony Davis..

He showed up to the last game wearing a looney tunes style "thats all folks" t-shirt..
Considering Vlade's aversion to drama and leaks, does AD seem like a guy he'd be into getting though?

And I think that this is ultimately what got Joerger fired.

He was a hardass and good X's and O's guy but whereas Cal or Coach K would back up their hardass-ness with tough love behind the scenes and effervescent boosterism, Joerger would make passive aggressive statements that he would have to walk back or clarify the next day and do dumb things like decide Harrison Barnes was our power forward at the expense of the team's starting forward to that point in the season with relatively no justification.
In Memphis, he was paranoid to the point that he thought Marc Gasol was trying to get him fired. Might be true but regardless that's not a player-coach relationship where they're having each other's back.

I think what is going to be interesting is Vlade’s view of the roster versus prevailing thinking. Vlade sees Bagley as a 3-4 and wants to go long. Most consider Bagley a 5 and maybe a 4. Joeger was constantly going small when Vlade wanted to go long. Vlade views Giles and Bagley as complementary while Joeger viewed them as competing.

Can Vlade find a coach who shares his vision?

Can Vlade find a tough love coach he desires?

If the answer is no to one or both does Vlade just take the job himself?