Next head coach candidates

I’ve always thought he should get a shot
To me, this is an obvious option that carries the least amount of change — which wouldn’t be a good thing.

Elston is very qualified and has never been given a shot. He’s part of the organization now and the players are very familiar with him. I’m sure he’d also keep some existing staff members which would also be a good thing. Most of all, he’s always been a defensive guy which this team needs focus upon.

Kevin Ollie? Was the hottest coaching candidate back before he went to UConn where he did extremely well in a very short time. Not sure what's going on with him now or if his investigation prevents him from coaching anywhere else.

To me, this is an obvious option that carries the least amount of change — which wouldn’t be a good thing.

Elston is very qualified and has never been given a shot. He’s part of the organization now and the players are very familiar with him. I’m sure he’d also keep some existing staff members which would also be a good thing. Most of all, he’s always been a defensive guy which this team needs focus upon.
He lacks a personality IMO, he seems monotone

Im on the hammon bus. Not because she would be the first women NBA HC but Pop and the spurs players love her. She knows her basketball and she has done her time as an asst. And I'm kinda tired of re-tread coaches. Lets think outside the box here.

Has always been linked when we have openings. Continuity is of utmost importance. Would be a very Vlade move and one i very much see happening and support.

Turner was assistant when Vlade was here as a player under Rick Adelman. He knows the Kings well.

Outside of Turner, Messina looks to be the best

Last edited:
Why would anyone want Messina considering the reports of Joerger being too much of a hardass coach? Messina has the same track record
Ruling with an iron fist is the style of coaching in Europe in general. While I’m sure you’re right he’s still largely that way, under Popovich he’s grown and seen it’s ultimately a players league and been outspoken in interviews about the need to adjust to the culture in the NBA. We won’t know for sure until he takes over somewhere but I’m willing to find out

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Messina and Walton. Messina has won four Euro championships and has had five years with the Spurs. I'd hire Pop's dog for coach if he wasn't under contract. Walton gets a bad rap because of the LBJ fiasco. I thought his pre LBJ team, which was very young, played hard and played defense. They played better defense than the young Kings under Joerger, imo. They really did a number on Buddy with their scouting and their player execution of the scouting report. Also, per Stan Van Gundy he knows his Xs and Os.

These three wouldn't even be on my list for a new coach: Stan Van Gundy, Tom Thibodeau, and Mark Jackson. All have had problems relating to their players. I would maybe like to see either Turner, maybe Monte Williams, or an up and coming assistant coach who is currently coaching under a "good" coach (i.e. Pop). I wouldn't be disappointed if Vlade picked Walton or Messina as the new coach either. We also need an assistant GM who knows talent and has connections around the league.

Messina and Walton. Messina has won four Euro championships and has had five years with the Spurs. I'd hire Pop's dog for coach if he wasn't under contract. Walton gets a bad rap because of the LBJ fiasco. I thought his pre LBJ team, which was very young, played hard and played defense. They played better defense than the young Kings under Joerger, imo. They really did a number on Buddy with their scouting and their player execution of the scouting report. Also, per Stan Van Gundy he knows his Xs and Os.
Concur. I would trade a second round pick for Walton. I think he's a really good coach, and the right personality to coach/mentor the next generation of stars. Messina would be kind of a risk given his reputation, but he'd run a well-oiled machine. I think this group of players would enjoy playing for Messina as long as he struck a grandfatherly balance. These are guys who chose to play for Cal, K, Kruger, and Obradovic. They are OK with tough coaching as long as there is a genuine relationship there.

Whoever Quin Snyder is grooming. Or maybe look at an assistant with Philly. That might be where Monty Williams comes in. Philly is of that 5 out, super spread ideology that is perfect for a guard like Fox. Messina and the Euro pick and roll style is perfect as well but if he comes in and those concerns of his lord of all basketball style come true he'll be walking ground some big name college coaches did before him. That patch of ground was slippery and not very big as it led straight to a big fat EXIT sign.

If you search Messina on youtube there are a ton of long videos of him breaking down a ton of offensive sets. No question he's one of the most diverse and knowledgeable X's and O's coaches out there.

Whoever Quin Snyder is grooming. Or maybe look at an assistant with Philly. That might be where Monty Williams comes in. Philly is of that 5 out, super spread ideology that is perfect for a guard like Fox. Messina and the Euro pick and roll style is perfect as well but if he comes in and those concerns of his lord of all basketball style come true he'll be walking ground some big name college coaches did before him. That patch of ground was slippery and not very big as it led straight to a big fat EXIT sign.
I’m a big fan of Monty Williams the man. I think he’d be the perfect coach to reach these you guys. A strong x and o’s guy but his interpersonal skills are what makes him the guy i want for this team. In the NBA, a coach needs his player to want to play for him to get the most out of them.

When I heard Messina was a defensive coach that was all I needed to hear. I am so tired of watching the Kings getting roasted from the 3pt line.

I’m a big fan of Monty Williams the man. I think he’d be the perfect coach to reach these you guys. A strong x and o’s guy but his interpersonal skills are what makes him the guy i want for this team. In the NBA, a coach needs his player to want to play for him to get the most out of them.

Yeah, Williams is a true players coach through and through.

Interpersonal might be good but if his work with new Orleans is any indication he isn't a good coach.

The list so far is very uninspiring. Being a head coach in the NBA is like being in a pressure cooker. Even Experienced coaches have trouble. Every team we play against has plenty of talent, especially in the Western Division. We do not want to "give someone a shot" or hire a hard ass with a good track record in Russia. Aim higher.

Interpersonal might be good but if his work with new Orleans is any indication he isn't a good coach.
This is my concern with Williams. I personally think Walton probably is the best mix....however, having said that I haven't really researched how well he has meshed with the younger guys on the Lakers. Just because you're a young guy doesn't mean you are necessarily a "players coach".

Does Christie have a coaching resume? I am not aware of it. Being a good player is not nearly enough experience. Good coaches have practice styles. They are good motivators, They make their players care about each other. They get along with the management. They are professional. They have 5 schemes and 100 plays in their heads all the time. They are approachable. They are good under pressure every night. You don't just bring in a guy off the street that used to be a good player.

The best candidate from the college ranks would OBVIOUSLY be Coach Cal... To hand him the reigns to this team, in this offseason, would be nothing short of a major power move...

Vivek would need to pay him huge $$$$ to make it happen tho i think he's a made man and going nowhere. His value in coercing talent here would be worth every penny they'd spend on him tho..