Next 8 games (12/3 to 12/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, it's getting hard to say that Domas isn't at least a pretty good rim protector. He's allowing 56.4% on shots at the rim this season. That isn't an "elite" figure, but when factoring for volume, it's rather impressive. Domas has defended a total of 225 shots at the rim so far this season, which is the top mark in the entire NBA.

For comparison's sake, Nikola Jokic has defended 205 shots at the rim so far this season, while allowing a gaudy 67.8% on those shots. Brook Lopez is currently the best rim protector in the league, having defended 216 shots at the rim, while allowing only 52.8% on those shots.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defensive-impact?PerMode=Totals&dir=D&sort=DEF_RIM_FGA

So yes, while Sabonis is certainly not a DPOY candidate, he's actually a much stronger rim protector than many would imagine, particularly when accounting for volume.
It shows shots defended but is there a stat for how many shots are attempted on each player?

The stats say that he's a solid rim protector without having to block shots but the eye test tells me that our interior defense is pretty non existent compared to other teams. A lot of times our players get down in the paint and are forced to circle or pass out due to a real shot blocker defending the rim. I don't see other teams doing that very often against us. Usually they go right at him or whoever else is defending in the paint.

If Sabonis is allowing a FG% of 56.4 and Myles Turner is allowing 58, you'd think that Sabonis would be the better rim protector but what if opposing players get into the lane, see Turner, and then circle back out for a 43% mid range shot? Now Turner has no statistic on the play but the opposing team was forced to take a 43% shot because Turner was there instead of being able to take a 56.4% shot on the better rim protecting Sabonis.

We really need to know how many shots are being attempted because that would tell us if Sabonis is defending more shots because players don't respect his defense or if he's defending more shots because he's getting into better defensive position.

Considering the whistle that Domas is getting from the refs seems like a very smart thing to do
If the Kings make a big run during the upcoming home stand and the month of January, will they quit with this? At what point will we start getting reffed like a contender? or is this a league wide problem right now (I saw the Ja Morant ejection which was just wow).

I took my sons to their first NBA game when Kings played Sixers last week.They were so disappointed with the lack of fluidity because of non stop stoppages and free throws.My youngest called it garbage and after some of the calls that were made in that game I couldn't disagree...At least both of them joined "I can not stand flopping ***** Embiid" team afterwards

Status
Not open for further replies.