New Kings TV Deal is here!!!

Call your ComCast customer service rep, and ask if the new channel featuring the Kings will be available to you. Quickest, easiest way:) You may be set to see all the Kings games without doing anything.

Bibbyweb-- if you have channels like Cartoon Network or GSN or MTV and the like, you will probably have the Expanded Basic Service -- which means that you'll be watching the Kings 82 times a year. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me guys.

Hopefully they get it ironed out with Direct so I can see the rest of the sports on the network...I'm not worried about seeing Kings games, I have the league pass...well worth it...but this could be big for local colleges, too...hopefully Sac State will finally get a bit more exposure, Nevada is a good program, too.

kingsfan52miller said:
question, so what do u guys think the odds are that directv will actually get this channel?
DirecTV is slow at adding anything. There's been a campaign over the last year by Country music fans to add GAC, since the Grand Ole Opry telecasts moved there. DirecTV is finally adding GAC later this month.

Probably the best thing to do is start bugging customer support via their feedback form: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/glb/Form_Feedback.dsp

The other thing you have to take into account is that even if DirecTV adds this new Comcast sports channel, it will only be available to people who live in the region during Kings games. DirecTV and the NBA have to make their money by selling the NBA League Pass! :D

Last edited:
ok,so i have dish network with NBA league pass and live in sac.Does this mean i have to switch to comcast to see the kings?

Last edited:
New TV Deal and League Pass

This morning, I sent an e-mail asking Josh du Lac, the author of the Bee article, what would happen with the games on NBA League Pass given the new TV deal. Mr. du Lac replied that all Kings games would be blacked out on NBA League Pass in Sacramento. As I understand it, this is due to the NBA's long-standing local broadcast blackout rule, which says that if the game is broadcast locally, it is blacked out on league pass.

If you're like me and you live in Sacramento (or within 90 miles, I believe) and have satellite or an alternate cable provider, your provider will need to pick up the new Comcast channel for you to watch the games. I have DirecTV and I'm guessing that they'll pick up the channel and add it to their Sports Premium Pack:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/Packages_SportsPack.dsp

Just wanted to clear up that point.

Last edited:
c-webb1s#1 said:
ok,so i have dish network with NBA league pass and live in sac.Does this mean i have to switch to comcast to see the kings?
It is unclear if or when Dish Network and Direct TV will offer the Kings programming. So, if Comcast has an exclusivity clause in the contract and Direct TV/Dish do not but in you are screwed. I think the home games would be blacked out in the Sacramento area even if you have NBALP.

for people who have directv and dish network, you can have comcast too, its pretty cheap. I just did it, and if directv gets it you can cancel comcast. Otherwise you only get to see something like 17 games.

kingsfan52miller said:
for people who have directv and dish network, you can have comcast too, its pretty cheap. I just did it, and if directv gets it you can cancel comcast. Otherwise you only get to see something like 17 games.
They don't offer Comcast in Placer Co.

This is the response I received to the email I sent to Direct TV.

Dear Gary,

Thank you for writing. Currently, we do not have plans to add a Comcast

sports network for the Sacramento, CA market. Your feedback is valuable

and we use it to judge interest in various programming sources. In fact,

we have added channels as a result of viewer feedback.

Although we don't have any plans or new information about a Comcast

sports network that will be carrying the Sacramento Kings games at this

time, feel free to bookmark the News Releases section of our web site at DIRECTV.com/PR and check back from time to time for the latest

announcements.

In addition, we have forwarded your comments to our programming

department. Please continue to visit our web site at DIRECTV.com for the

latest news and information about our services.

Sincerely,

Bridger

DIRECTV Customer Service

you dont have to switch to comcast to see the kings you can keep dish or directv and add comcast for 40 dollars a month. You dont need a box or anything but it is an extra 40 dollars a month but im gonna pay it cuz i cant handle only seeing 17 games a year

G M. I think it is too soon to tell if and when Directv will add it. The channel will be available for satellite providers to purchase it and if they want to stay competitive they will most likely add it.

For all others that are considering switching to Comcast, keep in mind that Comcast will give you $250 to switch over (as a $15/mo for 16 months credit on your bill). They will take your satellite equipment away in return.

Last edited:
Alright guys, this is great news but I still have one question.

If the deal is 10 years guarenteed and since its only Sacramento based does that mean that if they move the team within 10 years they will miss out on a lot of money?

So does this mean that we are going to stay here for at least 10 more years.

Wha?? There's no way the Maloofs leave everyone out in the cold that switched to Direct and already had the NBALP ordered because they JUST announced this deal...there's just no freaking way. I'm going to call some friends that work for the team and have my $$$ re-imbursed directly from the Maloofs...its not our fault they had no deal last year and this year up until yesterday.

We shouldnt have to get rid of our service because they are the reason we SWITCHED services...to pay money to watch THEIR team on TV...we are the ones that went out of our way...and I know I'm not the only one, either.

The Maloofs fulfilled their part of the bargain by doing all they could do: force Comcast to open up the channel for sale to other companies, including DirecTV. You can't expect them to convince Comcast to distribute the channel for free, can you?

GoSACtown said:
Ok i have Dish Network, what will happen ? Man i am mad, will I get kings games or not ?
If Dish Network contracts with Comcast to pick up the games - you get them. My guess is if they do swing a deal, they'll charge you a few bucks for the package, otherwise they're losing money.

JoMama said:
If Dish Network contracts with Comcast to pick up the games - you get them. My guess is if they do swing a deal, they'll charge you a few bucks for the package, otherwise they're losing money.
ill pay extra, ok so theres still a chance that dish network will pick it up ? anybody know around when we should know by ?

so i shouldnt switch to comcast yet ?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
bibbyweb said:
hi,
I am located in Fresno and have the basic comcast service. Don't know for sure how many games that means and could anyone tell me the best way to get all or most of the games. any suggestion will be apprciated. this are still a little bit unclear for me.:)
thanks
hey I live in the Big NO as well, and I just heard on the news that the Comcast deal will extend to Fresno so we can look to see all the Home games. If my girlfirned had not already dumped me this probably would have been the last straw... oh well. So are you going to the Kings Lakers pre-season game?
Jim

Hey, if they want to charge me an extra $10 a month or something to carry the damn thing, I have no problem doing it, just dont shut those of us out that already ordered the League Pass because there WASNT a deal till yesterday. WE are the ones that made the sacrifice to make the switch to satellite to watch THEIR team and spend OUR hard earned money.

Circa_1985_Fan said:
Hey, if they want to charge me an extra $10 a month or something to carry the damn thing, I have no problem doing it, just dont shut those of us out that already ordered the League Pass because there WASNT a deal till yesterday. WE are the ones that made the sacrifice to make the switch to satellite to watch THEIR team and spend OUR hard earned money.
I doubt they would even need to charge extra. Directv and dish network usually provide your Local Sports Network free of charge. I don't see why Sacramento should be any different.

But this deal is with Comcast and they ARE a competitor, and we are so close to the season...I just dont see any GOOD coming out of this for Direct TV subscribers like me...and Dish, too. I could see this being in negotiations for the whole season and us having to miss the whole season except for nationals.

You might be right, but it is in DirectTV's interest to keep you as a customer. I would assume they would have to eat up the charge. You don't even need a sports package to recive your RSN . And they already carry some other Comcast Sports Nets (like Comcast Sports Net (Mid-Atlantic)).

I still think it is too early to even worry about this.

Many of us in outlying areas of Sac. County Do not and Will not have the option of subscribing to Comcast. All Comcast games WILL be considered loal games and therefore not viewable by us fringe folk. If we take a chance now and subscribe to N.B.A. League Pass. We may only recieve away and out of area games. Not really worth the $140.00 or whatever the deal is this year.
Really the only thing that you will be able to do is to complain to your local Sattelite Svc. and to Comcast. However I do not recommend that you hold your breath while waiting for a response from them.
On the other hand. Everything ay work out just fine. Dish Network and Direct T.V. may pick up the Kings package and all the what iffing will dissappear into the next dilemna.