Nerlens Noel is a KING! One year deal

He didnt exactly impress in Detroit. Would have much preferred going after Dwight for the vet min. Bigger body, better offensively and defensively, and more likely to stat healthy. Nerlens also always struck me as very lazy.

He didnt exactly impress in Detroit. Would have much preferred going after Dwight for the vet min. Bigger body, better offensively and defensively, and more likely to stat healthy. Nerlens also always struck me as very lazy.
You clearly didn’t see Howard get whipped by Sim Bhullar in China. He didn’t exactly impress either.

But wait I thought we were running it back, or treadmilling or something? nice little deal for a vet who can pick up min as part of a defensive team.
In fairness to those who make the "treadmilling" argument, this move isn't much of a blow against it.

In terms of regular rotation, I DO think the Kings are essentially "running it back" with the main guys from last year + Sasha and *maybe* Duarte getting some play. I don't expect either of those guys to be huge difference-makers. In a Western Conference that's likely to be stronger than last year, question is whether the Kings can build on their strengths thru continuity, better bench play, better improved defense, and a 2nd-year sttep-up from Keegan.

Yup and averaged over a block in 21-22. We could use that for a few minutes, switching it up between he and Alex Len. This whole “running it back” thing is weird, knowing we have Duarte and Sasha. That’s not running it back.
Many like to repeat certain terms they’ve heard or read. It spreads like a virus.

“Run it back” and “ceiling” are quite infectious around here.

It’s not uncommon for winning teams, especially those on the upswing, to keep much of their core intact. But the KINGS have certainly made tweaks and turned over some of their roster.

You’re right. That’s not running it back.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
In fairness to those who make the "treadmilling" argument, this move isn't much of a blow against it.

In terms of regular rotation, I DO think the Kings are essentially "running it back" with the main guys from last year + Sasha and *maybe* Duarte getting some play. I don't expect either of those guys to be huge difference-makers. In a Western Conference that's likely to be stronger than last year, question is whether the Kings can build on their strengths thru continuity, better bench play, better improved defense, and a 2nd-year sttep-up from Keegan.
I think any disagreement we may have is definitional, not substantial. I am, however, much more optimistic that the team established that they could outperform any team in the league, and the key needs were for more consistency, improved bench support, and more time together. Check, Check, and check. Now I just wish October would get here.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like this.

I really wanted Queta to take a leap and stake his claim on that 3rd center spot but it hasn't happened. Noel isn't a world beater but he's an upgrade from Neemy, who is now likely fighting with Jordan Ford for that last two way contract unless Ford makes the big club as the 3rd PG.

But just like with Noel over Queta, I think the Kings can find a better option behind Fox and Mitchell than Ford among available free agents.

2017, Noel was traded to Dallas at the 2017 deadline, and that offseason, the Mavericks offered him a $72 million deal. Noel would decline that deal, and eventually sue then-agent Rich Paul over it, and things spiraled from there.

But let's let bygone be bygone, welcome to Sacramento. Work harder than Dewayne Dedmon when he was with us and we should like your defensive skillset enough to keep you around.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

Last year the West was going to be better and impossible too. Maybe it was better all around, which would make our 3 seed even more impressive. Maybe it was a down year and everyone was mediocre. But something tells me we got better too. Even if it wasn't a big name signing. That's never going to happen with the Kings. I'm just going to compare to Portland in 2016, when they were coming off a bit of a surprise season after expecting a down year, they went all in with Evan Turner and re-signing Alan Crabbe and pretty much destroyed any chance of moving up the ladder right there.

Monte's moves have been relatively conservative but they've maintained flexibility going forward. I don't think there is a bad contract on this team right now, arguably the biggest risk/overpay might be Noel, but it's a one year deal.

2017, Noel was traded to Dallas at the 2017 deadline, and that offseason, the Mavericks offered him a $72 million deal. Noel would decline that deal, and eventually sue then-agent Rich Paul over it, and things spiraled from there.

But let's let bygone be bygone, welcome to Sacramento. Work harder than Dewayne Dedmon when he was with us and we should like your defensive skillset enough to keep you around.
We don't say his name out loud.

Does Noel still have some fuel in the tank? Anyone watched him play recently?

Seriously? As an Asian man watching basketball over a few decades, even in the more basketball-advanced world in 2023, I'd never even entertain anyone from Taiwan over anyone who's actively playing on the state side.

Have you watched any of T1 or SBL games?

Good move. I think Len has leg up on backup spot but Noel is great insurance & could go either way. You need 3 centers though, so it’s a sign more-so Queta isn’t ready and/or gone than anything else. If Sabonis went down, can’t just have Len behind him.

For those unaware, Len & Noel have had a lil rivalry since college too. Len’s breakout college game was against Noel. Then they were 5th & 6th picks in same draft. Personally I don’t think there’s animosity but they’ve been linked forever.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
What are we doing with the signing is as either Len insurance, or as I prefer to think about it as Len extender. We barely saw Len last year in the general season but it really appeared that they were trying to keep him healthy for the playoffs. The problem was it meant a whole lot of Metu at center until that became untenable. As much as I got a kick out of watching the small ball with feisty Lyle's at the five that was not a line up you could put against most teams. The Noel signing makes an argument for playing time up to 15 or 20 minutes a game letting big Alex chill on the bench and avoid the inevitable injuries he's had to deal with season after season. Depending on matchups we should be in a pretty good place unless Noel decides to disappear.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Good lord I had no idea Alex Len was picked one pick ahead of Noel (the first official pick of the process),

That gives Sacramento four players from the University of Kentucky: Fox, Monk, Lyles, and Noel. A bit strange, even if Noel is a few years older.