Nerlens Noel is a KING! One year deal

I like the move. Queta is likely done...depends on injury but no room for him and he didn't exactly earn it. Noel is low risk. Excited to have someone capable of blocking a shot inside. Another Kentucky guy so I'm guessing some familiarity there.

Good move. I think Len has leg up on backup spot but Noel is great insurance & could go either way. You need 3 centers though, so it’s a sign more-so Queta isn’t ready and/or gone than anything else. If Sabonis went down, can’t just have Len behind him.
Yeah, I honestly don't think his role and what the organization is asking of him will be more than that highlighted quote. If we see him more than that, we either have some issues with injury or he managed to surprise us big time.

He should feel safe though if he keeps working hard that the bench position next to Len is his to claim. With some good enthusiastic towel waving, we might actually notice he's there.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Man, Noel's offensive role was handled so incredibly stupidly last year. Over his career he shoots 56% of his shots within 3 feet of the basket and only 21% at 10 feet out. Last year, he only took 25% of his shots within 3 feet of the basket and 50% of of his shots from 10 feet and out! No wonder his numbers looked horrible.

I like Noel better than Metu. Metu provided much needed athleticism last year but would jack up random 3s and destroy any momentum we had. Fills a definitive need on this team in terms of rebounding and defense.

Noel> Metu
Noel>Queta

I also like Duarte a lot better than TD. Davis was appauling on defense. Duarte has ability to create, isn't a sieve on D, has better height for the position we expect him to play.

Duarte>TD

Concern #1 The only player I don't think fits like a glove this off season is Veznekov, but his ability to shoot is an easily translatable skill.

Concern #2 Some wing defense and athleticism are still needed as Edwards isn't ready to be a lockdown defender.

Concern #3 I don't see the minutes for Lyles quite honestly.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, Noel's offensive role was handled so incredibly stupidly last year. Over his career he shoots 56% of his shots within 3 feet of the basket and only 21% at 10 feet out. Last year, he only took 25% of his shots within 3 feet of the basket and 50% of of his shots from 10 feet and out! No wonder his numbers looked horrible.
To be fair, he also only had 36 TOTAL field goal attempts last season.

Noel had a stretch of 3 straight games early in the season with the Pistons where he got 17 minutes per game. Then a later stretch of 4 straight games with Detroit where he got a bit over 18 mpg. And finally 2 back to back games with the Nets where he got 18 mpg.

Other than those 9 games he either didn't play at all or just got garbage minutes. Which probably explains launching a few outside shots that he normally wouldn't.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
To be fair, he also only had 36 TOTAL field goal attempts last season.

Noel had a stretch of 3 straight games early in the season with the Pistons where he got 17 minutes per game. Then a later stretch of 4 straight games with Detroit where he got a bit over 18 mpg. And finally 2 back to back games with the Nets where he got 18 mpg.

Other than those 9 games he either didn't play at all or just got garbage minutes. Which probably explains launching a few outside shots that he normally wouldn't.
Well, he did only attempt 9 of his 36 FGAs (25%) in the games where he played under 10 minutes, so it's not like he was blackholing garbage time. He just wasn't, as they say, put in a position to succeed. But really, how much of his shot selection was the teams not caring to utilize his strengths and how much of it was his own decision/out of frustration is tough to say. I'd hope it's mostly the former.

Either way, Brown needs to make 100% sure that Noel is not used as a jump shooter. Some of that is to tell him not to take them. Some of that is drawing up plays to get him shots at the rim at least often enough to keep him satisfied. Other than that, grab rebounds, block shots, deflect balls, and generally make scoring hard for the other team - that's all we need.

Anyway, hopefully that fact that he's 29 and it is beginning to look like NBA teams aren't exactly knocking down his door for his services will at least clue him in to the idea that he needs to buy in to his role.

I like Noel better than Metu. Metu provided much needed athleticism last year but would jack up random 3s and destroy any momentum we had. Fills a definitive need on this team in terms of rebounding and defense.

Noel> Metu
Noel>Queta

I also like Duarte a lot better than TD. Davis was appauling on defense. Duarte has ability to create, isn't a sieve on D, has better height for the position we expect him to play.

Duarte>TD

Concern #1 The only player I don't think fits like a glove this off season is Veznekov, but his ability to shoot is an easily translatable skill.

Concern #2 Some wing defense and athleticism are still needed as Edwards isn't ready to be a lockdown defender.

Concern #3 I don't see the minutes for Lyles quite honestly.
Yeah if you think about it, the Kings got significantly better at the roster spots they needed to get better - at about 4-10.

With all the fireworks last year, we really did have some glaring weaknesses. The interior defense of course. But our offense would completely seize up at times, and there were some players (TD) that just ruined momentum and flow and didn't play in the offense. This offseason has just been really good housekeeping and minor repairs. Didn't need to build the house.

I'm sneakily super excited about this season. Brb getting in my Delorean and setting the date for Nov1 while all you suckers suffer through the offseason hehe.

Last edited:
Well, he did only attempt 9 of his 36 FGAs (25%) in the games where he played under 10 minutes, so it's not like he was blackholing garbage time. He just wasn't, as they say, put in a position to succeed. But really, how much of his shot selection was the teams not caring to utilize his strengths and how much of it was his own decision/out of frustration is tough to say. I'd hope it's mostly the former.

Either way, Brown needs to make 100% sure that Noel is not used as a jump shooter. Some of that is to tell him not to take them. Some of that is drawing up plays to get him shots at the rim at least often enough to keep him satisfied. Other than that, grab rebounds, block shots, deflect balls, and generally make scoring hard for the other team - that's all we need.

Anyway, hopefully that fact that he's 29 and it is beginning to look like NBA teams aren't exactly knocking down his door for his services will at least clue him in to the idea that he needs to buy in to his role.
One can make a case that McNair/Brown and co had potentially discussed among themselves and with Noel and determined that the man still got the hunger to work.

Or that could mean absolutely nothing, but that $3mil/yr contract is so thin, I bet Luke Loucks' daughters can tear it up if things begin to go south.

:p

Makes a lot of sense. I think this is more so about us not having faith in Queta if he's called on rather than slotting in Noel to a guaranteed back-up role.

Many like to repeat certain terms they’ve heard or read. It spreads like a virus.

“Run it back” and “ceiling” are quite infectious around here.

It’s not uncommon for winning teams, especially those on the upswing, to keep much of their core intact. But the KINGS have certainly made tweaks and turned over some of their roster.

You’re right. That’s not running it back.
How do you feel about... "running it backing with a few tweaks"? Like if Vinny's Delorean got new CNC pedals and LED lights inside to light up the floor. :p

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Definitely.

And quite honestly Noel should be used the same way as Len which should make things easy for him.

Many like to repeat certain terms they’ve heard or read. It spreads like a virus.

“Run it back” and “ceiling” are quite infectious around here.

It’s not uncommon for winning teams, especially those on the upswing, to keep much of their core intact. But the KINGS have certainly made tweaks and turned over some of their roster.

You’re right. That’s not running it back.
Especially when some people don't realize that when you basically keep your entire core rotation of 8-9 intact it's basically the same thing. No team keeps 12-14 the same but the same basic players outside of a few end of rotation players changing is as close as it gets. The real issue is some people think "run it back" and "ceiling" are derogatory terms. They are what they are.

Looks like Monte is pretty persistent when he sees a player he likes. If he doesn't get them the 1st or 2nd attempt, you better bet he's going to make another attempt. According to this Yahoo article, Noel has been on Monte's radar for some time.... Maybe Monte's persistence will eventually land us OG in the future!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/noel-kings-agree-one-3-184737128.html
Makes me feel even better about this move. 40 games. I'm telling you. There's no stopping this team!

This is a shot in the dark why not kind of move likely with some behind the scenes ties considering he's been on the radar. The league basically pays the salary for these contracts don't they? It would be nice if Noel can get his career back on track but the truth is this is someone that has played all of 42 games the last two seasons so it's a battle between he and Len as to the 5th/6th big in the rotation.

Especially when some people don't realize that when you basically keep your entire core rotation of 8-9 intact it's basically the same thing. No team keeps 12-14 the same but the same basic players outside of a few end of rotation players changing is as close as it gets. The real issue is some people think "run it back" and "ceiling" are derogatory terms. They are what they are.
No, the truth is that some people realize those terms are misunderstood and misused by others.

Clearly you are among those misunderstanding and misusing the terms.

To prove the point, I’ll ask you to prove the notion of a “ceiling” regarding player development. You can’t do it. Because it’s subjective, made up nonsense.

Furthermore, Vezenkov and Duarte will be part of the core 8-9 and neither were on the team last season. So that defeats the definition of “running it back” in the context of competition. You’ve even unwittingly acknowledged this fact with your “as close as it gets” comment.

You’re 0 for 2 dude.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
I was super high on Noel, back in 2013 :) Still, I'm looking forward to the dude protecting the rim for the Kings!
I doubt he gets more than spot minutes in the right scenarios, but that is probably the best for everyone, given his knees have taken a beating.