Need some advice from the tech wizards

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I need to know about the video ipod. What would be a good size (capacity)? I also need to know about downloading music and videos. Do you have to download only from Apple's site?

Next, does anyone know about the ipod competitors? Is it worth it to go cheaper for a Zune, for instance, instead of an ipod. Compare that quality to ipod and the ease of downloading. Are there more choices for downloading (places, # of songs, etc).

Information on any other pros or cons would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have an IPOD and I don't know about the video stuff, but I know that I didn't have to download from Apple sites only. There are some free downloading sites... not ethical I know... but I have used those. Actually, most of the music I have is from before they started all the lawsuits for that sort of thing. Also, you can upload CD's onto your computer and put the music on your IPOD that way.

I'm not too tech saavy, but that's my two cents! Hope it helped!

I got my kids 2 ipod's and i can't stand them. Had to re-download all of the songs I already had on my computer from I tunes which really pissed me off because you couldn't load them straight to the ipod. Any MP3 player will work just fine. I have a 6GB Phillips one that I got for about $130 and it works just fine.

iPOD=overrated and way overpriced.

I got my kids 2 ipod's and i can't stand them. Had to re-download all of the songs I already had on my computer from I tunes which really pissed me off because you couldn't load them straight to the ipod. Any MP3 player will work just fine. I have a 6GB Phillips one that I got for about $130 and it works just fine.

iPOD=overrated and way overpriced.
Weird... that didn't happen to me. But maybe it's because I got mine awhile ago? I moved all my music to ITunes to do it, but I didn't have to redownload anything.

Ryle...do you have itunes 7.0?? I've heard there are all kinds of bugs in it.

I happen to be the most computer UN-savy person in the world and I've had no problems with my ipod and downloaded music either from my CD's or itunes. I also have an FM transmitter for my car and it works like a charm.

Since this is Ipod talk, ok, does anyone know when like you turn your ipod off.. and then when you turn it on, it's like blank white? So then you have to turn it off and on 2 times... I don't know if that's normal or not. Anyone else experiencing this?

First, i'm not a tech wizard or anything like that.

Kingschick, i have never experienced that.

And to 6th.. I have a video ipod (30 GB). It depends on who will use it and how many songs/videos/pictures he/she wants to put in it.

If you're going strictly ipod, i think the 4/6 GB ipod costs $200. but if you buy the 30 GB one, it's only $250. So if he/she has a lot of songs to download or has the potential to download lots of songs, I suggest you buy the 30 GB instead of the 4/6 GB one.

I don't know about mp3 players, though. My uncle uses one and it doesn't bother him. All my other relatives use an ipod.

And since this is an ipod topic... to all the ipod wizards out there...

I uploaded a video from my computer but the videos only show the pictures and no sound? Why is that?

And what is a good FM transmitter for the car? Good quality but hopefully something cheaper than the i-trip.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Thanks for the info. Keep it coming.

LMM, they seem to be pushing the 80 GB one this year, at a cost of $350. That seems like overkill to me. If he wants to download videos, do you have any idea about the capacity with a 30 GB one (which Fry's has for only $250)? BTW - he will download songs too.

On of the reasons that I am leaning toward the ipod is that his cousin uses an ipod and has many many songs and videos already. When he goes to visit in February he can just load what his cousin already has downloaded onto his, I think.

I think the 30 GB is perfectly fine! my cousin is BIG on music and videos and she has the 30 GB. I definitely think the 80 GB one is overkill ! My friend has it and it's ridiculous! You can't even find his songs and stuff! I definitely think the 30 GB one is the way to go.

The 30 GB holds about 7,500 songs, up to 40 hours of video, up to 25,000 pictures or a combination of each. That's A LOT! Make sure you buy a video ipod, though. Just ask them if it's a video ipod cause some ipods can't play videos.

hmm what else.. Downloading itunes is free, and I download my songs free from free downloading sites that I'm sure your nephew (?) would know about. If you're gonna download that many songs, that's a lot of money if you pay! And like KMG23 said, he can download songs from his CDs there, too. And it's really easy. I'm pretty sure he'll figure it out quickly plus with his cousins having one, too, that shouldn't be a problem.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
REMINDER: If you're going to talk about downloading songs/videos, please do not post information about any sites that are not in compliance with current laws regarding copyright, etc.

Thanks...

And what is a good FM transmitter for the car? Good quality but hopefully something cheaper than the i-trip.
I had an itrip...I took it back..it sucked! The one I have is from Monster. I asked many people in different stores which one was the best and they all pointed me to Monster. It was about 70.00 but it works! It lets you program 3 stations..I've only had to use 1. I took it down to SoCal and used the same station driving from orange county to Staples and never had a problem.
Oh, one more thing...it plugs into the cig. lighter so it's constanly charging your ipod which also makes for a stronger sound.

VIDEO IPOD response

I need to know about the video ipod. What would be a good size (capacity)? I also need to know about downloading music and videos. Do you have to download only from Apple's site?

I own one, I think it's great and very easy to use. The ipod is very intuitively designed. Yes you can purchase music as well as TV or movies from their website for a fee. Additionally on the iPod website there are free downloads called "podcasts" (it is essentially a iPod Broadcast) Also if you are interested in audio books, audible.com offers a program for the ipod. (At Marshalls there is a car charger for $9.99 that you get 2 free audio book downloads if you want to try it out)

Next, does anyone know about the ipod competitors? Is it worth it to go cheaper for a Zune, for instance, instead of an ipod. Compare that quality to ipod and the ease of downloading. Are there more choices for downloading (places, # of songs, etc).

The Zune is by microsoft and when they get into a business they position themselves to become a strong competitor. I don't know much about it, but I read in the wallstreet journal they have a contract with universal and some other producers (i can't recall) so you may see very competitive or even cheaper prices.

Information on any other pros or cons would be appreciated.

If you use www.google.com search for key words
"ZUNE REVIEWS" and "VIDEO IPOD REVIEWS"
"ZUNE COMPARISON IPOD"

That should give you more. In my opinion you should goto a store and test them both out and decide which is easier to use. Ipod is
well established with content downloads, etc Microsoft is not, but with a big price difference and innovation microsoft stands to be successful.

I own an iPod because it was a gift not based on a purchase decision.
good luck!