NCAA March Madness (discussion and pick 'em)

It's time for March Madness... I've restarted the KingsFans NCAA Pick 'Em League, and people can post in here to discuss the tournament itself, too.

Here's the information on the Pick 'Em league in Yahoo!:

Click here to join the KingsFans league on Yahoo.

You can also join by creating your bracket and joining our group:

Group ID: 88350
Password: boogie

Just like the last couple years, I set up the league with a different scoring system than normal. I'm leaving the alternate scoring the same as it was last year partly because I don't want to take the time to think about it and partly because I won the alternate scoring crown last time. :p If you care about these kinds of things please take a look at the new scoring system when you sign up. We'll have an alternate scoring champ and a traditional scoring champ at the end.

You can fill in your picks right now, the deadline to lock them is before the first game Thursday morning (3/17). I set it to allow two brackets per person, so you can try twice if you want.

Should be fun and good luck!

I filled out my bracket but this years NCAA Final Four seems a real crap shoot - just like the entire season with so many upsets all over the place. I won our bracket buster a couple years ago by picking Kansas to win it all. That year very few picked Jayhawks to win the championship - unlike this season when far more like them to cut the nets down in Houston. Who is the tournament Cenderella this year or is there one who will surprise by getting to sweet sixteen, elite eight, or beyond? I'm sure March Madness will be a blast - if I can determine where all the games are telecast with so many diffferent networks covering.

Here's what some Kings players think will happen or hope happens for their fave team: http://fullcourtpress.kingsconnect.com/archives/9398

24 years as a Wildcats fan and Sean Miller now has given me the second greatest moment ever in just his 2nd season.
Same!! Cats fan since late 1970s when I first lived in Tucson and later during 80s when my sister was still living there. I loved how fans at Honda Center were screaming "U-of-A!! U-of-A!!" throughout entire game. Biased and dumb TV announcing team who admitted in first game that they knew little to nothing about San Diego State - but everything about UCONN - carried their crap over to last game by dissing UofA fans who they said were not in big numbers compared to Duke contingent or had all left early. Total BS!!

Derrick Williams is going to be the best player to come out of this draft, I would put money on that. If he's there when we are picking, we sure as hell better take him. IMO he's the best wing prospect since Durant.

Great run by Arizona. D-Will was jobbed by the Naismith selection committee, if he hadn't been taken out early UA cruises to the Final Four, instead they lose by two with multiple shots to win. Thank you coach Miller. If the Kings leave Sac I still have a bright basketball future ahead of me thanks to you.

VCU shocks Kansas! WOW!! Nothing whatsoever makes sense in this tourney which I thought would be wildly unpredictable after a crazy college basketball season. My bracket, everybody's bracket, has been in shambles for awhile. All I can say is at least now Butler is playing VCU in a Final Four showdown - get rid of one of them so the championship game is not two mid-majors facing each other!

Last edited:
Who wins NCAA mens championship game doggie fight on Monday night? UConn Huskies are 3.5 favorite - but really? Butler Bulldogs in championship game last year losing to Duke by 2 pts - even though Hayward's 65 foot shot with less than a second barely rimmed out, which obviously would have won it for them. I think it's year of the upset, year of the mid-major accendency - so I'll pick BUTLER 68 UCONN 67. This time, Sheldon Mack hitting the game winning basket as time expires.

I'd like Butler to win, but I've seen too much of Kemba Walker to doubt that he can't take a game over. Butler plays pretty solid defense, though. My best guess (and that's all it really is) is UConn by 5. I'm going 72-67.

Rooting for Butler. If I had money on the line the pick would be UConn.

Hopefully if Butler is down two with seconds left they'll settle for a tie and OT instead of going for three like both Wildcats did. Or they'll make the three.

There was some story on the news about a lady who had picked the final four (the only lady on Yahoo to do so)... she has the Huskies over Butler. Of course her selection method basically involved lucky numbers and mascots. Next year if the Kings are still in Sac and we do this and we get two brackets again my second bracket will just be all mascot picks.

Hopefully if Butler is down two with seconds left they'll settle for a tie and OT instead of going for three like both Wildcats did. Or they'll make the three.
I think it is pretty safe to say that had Butler only been down by two they would have chucked a three. I couldn't take it and fell asleep. Congrats to UConn.

Not much interest here this year, but congratulations to Capt. Factorial who wins the pick 'em contest no matter what scoring method you use.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Not much interest here this year, but congratulations to Capt. Factorial who wins the pick 'em contest no matter what scoring method you use.
Thanks! It was kind of surprising as I designed the bracket for maximal (plausible) upset potential, just to see what would happen with the upset points. I'd never have thought that bracket would be the top even without bonus points.

It's interesting to note that my alternate bracket (which was random selections weighted by historical seed-by-seed win probabilities) came in dead last.