NBA suspends, fines Cousins

The biggest difference between all those guys Brick put up and DMC is that they were winners. DMC hasn't even gotten us more than 28 wins in 4 seasons. When you're considered dirty but you are a winner then people perceive it as a strong will to win and being ultra competitive. Almost every time DMC has done something dirty it's because he's frustrated in that particular game and instead of manning up and using his skills to get the better of his opponent he does something childish like punch a midget in the stomach as he's running by.

Current technology is what doesn't allow players to 'get away' with cheap shot punching someone in the stomach as they run past. Back in the day, he could have done this and if an official didn't see it, he gets away with it.

The NBA has decided that it's not the product that they're interested in, so they use all the available technology to find out about it, then spread the word when it happens....which produces the "fall out" and reputation afterwards

Haha. Haha. Jeesh kids these days. :p

HOFer

HOFer

HOFer

and just etc. Must have needed some culture change.

A great many of the best players and best teams over the years have flat out been dirty players/teams. Intimidators. Its not an accident. Its not to say you can't win without being dirty. It is to say that being dirty is often a symptom of why you win: you burn a little brighter. You love physical play. You despise losing a little more than they do. You're tough, you're nasty, and you don't let anyone mess with you. I've probably just described half the players in the HOFs of every contact sport ever invented.
I agree with you Brick to an extent.

But a couple of thoughts. I also believe, whether we like it or not, the league has changed. You're talking players from the 80s and 90s. 20, 30 years ago. Now, you can't even breathe on a player without being called for a foul. When you do something overly physical (like punch Patrick Beverley as he's running by you) it's scrutinized, criticized and then punished, perhaps days later, not even being noticed in game action right away. However, today's NBA is trained and expected to watch for and punish plays like that. Players are more protected today than ever before.

The same holds true in a sport like the NFL. Players are protected today more than ever before. The quarterback is protected more than ever before. You can't hit above the neck, you can't horse-collar tackle etc. etc. The physicality that worked for the 1970s Steelers (perhaps the best defense of all time), would not work in today's NFL. They'd probably be the most penalized team in the league. And that's simply because the rules of the game have evolved to protect the player. Again, whether we like it or not.

Also, looking at a player like Rodman - he was always able to be the crazy, physical player because he had other stars to carry the team. Isaiah, Dumars, Jordan, Pippen. Cousins is the face of our franchise. Rodman was never the face - he was a role player and a great one.

Looking at the last 10-15 years, I don't believe there has been a "bad boy" type of player that has been the star of a team that went on to win the finals. Of course, Metta in LA. However, he like Rodman, had Kobe and Pau to lead the way. Birdman is probably the closest you can get in Miami to being that physical player. But again, he's behind the big 3 and Ray Allen. Rasheed Wallace might be the closest you can get, but Detroit really cleaned him up. IIRC, Rasheed used to rack up T's in his Portland days quite a bit.

So, again - I definitely LOVE physical players and what they bring to the game. However, in today's league - you have to play smarter when playing dirty. And I don't believe that Cousins can be the face of the franchise and be the dirty, unpredictable player he is today.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
The biggest difference between all those guys Brick put up and DMC is that they were winners. DMC hasn't even gotten us more than 28 wins in 4 seasons. When you're considered dirty but you are a winner then people perceive it as a strong will to win and being ultra competitive. Almost every time DMC has done something dirty it's because he's frustrated in that particular game and instead of manning up and using his skills to get the better of his opponent he does something childish like punch a midget in the stomach as he's running by.
Um, we are 0-10 without DMC in the lineup this year. I'd say he's getting us some wins, wouldn't you? This team CAN'T win any games without him.

Rasheed Wallace might be the closest you can get, but Detroit really cleaned him up. IIRC, Rasheed used to rack up T's in his Portland days quite a bit..
Sheed's somewhat of the best case scenario in terms of Cousins eventually channeling his emotions constructively. But again, it finally clicked for Sheed when he was with Billups, Ben Wallace and co, not to mention with Larry Brown as the coach.

If Ron-Ron Tru Warier Metta World Peace Artest can find a way to deal with his issues, there is no reason to assume DMC cannot and will not do the same.
I agree - I never wrote off the possibility that Cousins can turn things around. But don't forget Artest still had some "moments" when he was with the Lakers, and that he was also the 3rd or 4th option for them. If he got suspended in the playoffs they could still win because Kobe and Gasol/Bynum were more important. All I'm saying is you better think twice and make sure you have some kind of backup plan if you're going to put all your eggs in the basket that has holes in it.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Current technology is what doesn't allow players to 'get away' with cheap shot punching someone in the stomach as they run past. Back in the day, he could have done this and if an official didn't see it, he gets away with it.

The NBA has decided that it's not the product that they're interested in, so they use all the available technology to find out about it, then spread the word when it happens....which produces the "fall out" and reputation afterwards
Again you miss the point, playing tough and throwing the occasional cheap shot never was about "getting away with it". On the contrary sending a message only works if EVERYONE sees it. In the 3 clips no one got away with any thing nor did they want to they were just tough competitors that would play all out an when needed never hesitated to introduce an opponent to the wood and guess what... some competitor still do. Harden, Kevin Love, Bosh,Randolf and KG (flagrant on B. Jax in the play offs comes to mind) all come to mind as guys who have more than once thrown a serious cheap shot.

So if NBA is trying to use the holey grail of technology to end cheap shots they are failing. The decline in fights came after stricter rules and harsher penalties. Technical fouls were reduced when the 16 T rule came in to effect. If the league were seriously concerned about extra rough play they would introduce a flagrant 3 foul with mandatory suspensions, instead they are more or less arbitrarily selecting cases to lay on a wrist slap suspension in the cases they see fit to cherry pick. I am 100% convinced that if DMC had not given the one finger salute to the refs (and thanks to Noah that is NOT suspendable) The league would have not given a flying flip about the uncalled foul on Beverly.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If the Kings do get in the playoffs with Cousins, it's going to be like watching a guy with nitro on his back - you're always going to wonder if and when he's going to blow. As if you don't have enough to worry about when you get in games where every play has much more significance to it. Unfortunately, the Kings best player is by far the most undependable player. How that plays out, I don't know. But it doesn't give me a warm and cozy feeling. That's for sure.

If the Kings do get in the playoffs with Cousins, it's going to be like watching a guy with nitro on his back - you're always going to wonder if and when he's going to blow. As if you don't have enough to worry about when you get in games where every play has much more significance to it. Unfortunately, the Kings best player is by far the most undependable player. How that plays out, I don't know. But it doesn't give me a warm and cozy feeling. That's for sure.
perhaps this is more your speed, then:

:p

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
If Ron-Ron Tru Warier Metta World Peace Artest can find a way to deal with his issues, there is no reason to assume DMC cannot and will not do the same.
There are two items of note, however, which may make this comment a cause for concern for Kings Fans:
  1. Neither Wallace nor Artest succeeded in dealing with their issues while playing for the team where they made their name.
  2. Neither Wallace nor Artest succeeded in dealing with their issues while playing for a team where they were any higher in the pecking order than the third scoring option.
If we want to point to Wallace and Artest as examples of "two troubled young men, who learned to deal with their personal/anger issues, and found success in the league, and became champions," that doesn't necessarily bode well for the Sacramento Kings.

Entity

Hall of Famer
There are two items of note, however, which may make this comment a cause for concern for Kings Fans:
  1. Neither Wallace nor Artest succeeded in dealing with their issues while playing for the team where they made their name.
  2. Neither Wallace nor Artest succeeded in dealing with their issues while playing for a team where they were any higher in the pecking order than the third scoring option.
If we want to point to Wallace and Artest as examples of "two troubled young men, who learned to deal with their personal/anger issues, and found success in the league, and became champions," that doesn't necessarily bode well for the Sacramento Kings.
At this point the number of players that would be higher up the pecking order is getting smaller.