NBA Lottery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trouble with including #22 is that the draft is on the 29th, but Harrell has until the 31st to opt in on his contract. The Lakers could always pick *for* the Kings, and then just deal with it if Harrell opts out, but it's a bit of a sticky situation.

With rumors that there are other teams in on Hield, it seems to me that the Lakers deal is unlikely unless Harrell opts in early. And the only reason Harrell has to opt in early is to facilitate the trade - so not only does the trade have to be one the Kings want, but Harrell also has a near veto-clause on any such deal, so he'd have to want to be here as well.
A different solution is to sign Harrell to an extension.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
A different solution is to sign Harrell to an extension.
Technically that would not really be any different, as Harrell agreeing to an extension knowing he would be traded to Sacramento is not any different than Harrell opting in knowing he would be traded to Sacramento. He would be able to opt out and become a free agent, or take the money and go to Sacramento. Thus, he decides whether the trade happens based on whether he wants to go to Sacramento or not.

In practice the point is moot, as Harrell's contract was not for three years and as such is not eligible for extension.

"--22!?!" is my comment, as in, I hope 22 is included!!!
i know, i was saying it wasnt mentioned in the story and agreed that if it was included (which i hope is its too) i would like the trade.

EDIT: Ham said on the deuce and mo podcast that he thinks lakers adding the 22 is likely. Mainly because they dont have much use for a 22 pick on a contract for 3 years and not getting much playing time vs a line of veterans willing to take the vets min to play for the lakers

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless there is solid offer for the pick to improve the team, Kuminga is a no brainer. The risk is there but we need to acquire the best talent.
The risk is that Kuminga isn't the best talent.

He has some very impressive physical tools but he doesn't have a single elite skill that he can depend on in the NBA right now. He's a poor shooter, rebounder, and defender and has shown very little in terms of ball handling and playmaking.

Kuminga is a pure upside swing. Yes, if he were to "put it all together" he could be one of the best players from this draft, but how likely is that? If McNair feels confident then go for it, but he Kuminga makes me nervous.

I hope Kuminga is gone so the Kings don't have to make that decision. Because the worst possible outcome for the Kings is yet another draft bust and Kuminga looks to be as boom or bust as anybody likely to get drafted top 10.

He has some very impressive physical tools but he doesn't have a single elite skill that he can depend on in the NBA right now. He's a poor shooter, rebounder, and defender and has shown very little in terms of ball handling and playmaking.

Kuminga is a pure upside swing. Yes, if he were to "put it all together" he could be one of the best players from this draft, but how likely is that? If McNair feels confident then go for it, but he Kuminga makes me nervous.

I hope Kuminga is gone so the Kings don't have to make that decision. Because the worst possible outcome for the Kings is yet another draft bust and Kuminga looks to be as boom or bust as anybody likely to get drafted top 10.
I mean another possibility is team wanting to trade up really likes kuminga. Hopefully get a pick in the 13-18 range and a good player or future pick. Then we have to deal with the other side of the coin and instead of drafting a bust, we traded away a star :confused:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean another possibility is team wanting to trade up really likes kuminga. Hopefully get a pick in the 13-18 range and a good player or future pick. Then we have to deal with the other side of the coin and instead of drafting a bust, we traded away a star :confused:
Right, it's a no brainer. Kings are a long way away from contention and need all the high upside talent they can get their hands on. Taking him over a safer, but lower ceiling guy should be an easy choice.
I guess. I mean, if Kuminga starts falling in the draft after being top 4 for almost the entire year, you have to start wondering why. The Kings had Thomas Robinson and Ben McLemore drop into their laps when they were supposed to be top 3 talents and got burnt both times.

One other thing with Kuminga is that his knees may have more issues than anyone realized.

And if he ends up being Justice Winslow or Kevin Knox that's much worse than getting a solid contributor like Franz Wagner or Moses Moody or Sengun who has upside and is less of a gamble. I want the Kings to find that 3rd star as much as anyone but getting a solid piece is much, MUCH better than yet another draft bust.

I would completely understand if McNair grabs Kuminga if he falls to 9, but he's not Haliburton. Tyrese had clear skills and a great feel for the game. The question was whether he had high end potential. Kuminga is the opposite. He has no clear skills or feel for the game and is being valued on physical skills and high end potential.

I only saw a couple GLeague games but I didn't like what I saw at all. He has a lot of tunnel vision and took bad/low percentage shots, took plays off on defense (or just got lost), and overall didn't do a lot that I saw to contribute to winning.

But then at this point I'm biased. I'll take the guy with the clear skills over someone with great measurables and athleticism but who haven't put it together on the basketball court. It's why I'm lower on Kai Jones than most too. To quote Jerry Reynolds, "potential just means you haven't done anything yet"

Last edited:

Hot take, but I'm still taking Wagner/Moody over Kuminga. I'm so confident that their games are going to translate to being high impact NBA starters that taking the upside swing on Kuminga figuring it out just isn't worth to me. Even if they don't become "stars", I think it's super unlikely we don't at the very least get good complimentary talent to Fox/Hali.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
i know, i was saying it wasnt mentioned in the story and agreed that if it was included (which i hope is its too) i would like the trade.

EDIT: Ham said on the deuce and mo podcast that he thinks lakers adding the 22 is likely. Mainly because they dont have much use for a 22 pick on a contract for 3 years and not getting much playing time vs a line of veterans willing to take the vets min to play for the lakers
I wouldn't mind that deal, especially since it looks like Holmes won't return. If he did, a Holmes/Harrell platoon is a bit redundant but I think McNair already realized the Kings will be outbid. Or that they could clear the cap but that money is best spent elsewhere, as much as I really like Richaun.

#9 Sengun
#22 Ziaire Williams (I actually think he'll be gone but he or Jalen Johnson or even Moses Moody could slip this far)
#39 Herbert Jones

Is a hell of a draft IMO. If it happened to work out that way you're looking at:

C Harrell/Sengun/Metu/Jones
PF Bagley/Kuzma/Woodard
SF Barnes/Williams/Jones
SG Haliburton/James/Ramsey
PG Fox/Wright

And that's without deals for Bagley and/or Barnes. Maybe you package Bagley and #22 to move up further and add a defensive role player. Depending on what's out there for HB I'm okay with him staying or going depending on the return. He's a solid dependable vet, but if you can use him to balance the roster on a good deal then you do it.

Halfway through the season (maybe even less) hopefully Sengun takes over the starting C spot and Harrell is used as an energy big where he's best.

I wouldn't be upset with that roster at all.

I wouldn't mind that deal, especially since it looks like Holmes won't return. If he did, a Holmes/Harrell platoon is a bit redundant but I think McNair already realized the Kings will be outbid. Or that they could clear the cap but that money is best spent elsewhere, as much as I really like Richaun.

#9 Sengun
#22 Ziaire Williams (I actually think he'll be gone but he or Jalen Johnson or even Moses Moody could slip this far)
#39 Herbert Jones

Is a hell of a draft IMO. If it happened to work out that way you're looking at:

C Harrell/Sengun/Metu/Jones
PF Bagley/Kuzma/Woodard
SF Barnes/Williams/Jones
SG Haliburton/James/Ramsey
PG Fox/Wright

And that's without deals for Bagley and/or Barnes. Maybe you package Bagley and #22 to move up further and add a defensive role player. Depending on what's out there for HB I'm okay with him staying or going depending on the return. He's a solid dependable vet, but if you can use him to balance the roster on a good deal then you do it.

Halfway through the season (maybe even less) hopefully Sengun takes over the starting C spot and Harrell is used as an energy big where he's best.

I wouldn't be upset with that roster at all.
Sengun/Harrell Platoon wouldn't be a bad idea at all. You'd still start Sengun, but keep him in like a 18-20 MPG role and keep Trez in his "closer" role off the bench. If Sengun starts balling, then you scale back Trez or maybe even shop him at the trade deadline as an expiring.

I'm still super hesitant on using 9 for a big man. While I'm higher on Moody/Wagner, I still really like Johnson/Kuminga as 3/4 wing prospects. Even Giddey having one of the most elite skills in the draft. Just seems like a weird pivot in today's game to invest in the big when great wing prospects will be available when we pick.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sengun/Harrell Platoon wouldn't be a bad idea at all. You'd still start Sengun, but keep him in like a 18-20 MPG role and keep Trez in his "closer" role off the bench. If Sengun starts balling, then you scale back Trez or maybe even shop him at the trade deadline as an expiring.

I'm still super hesitant on using 9 for a big man. While I'm higher on Moody/Wagner, I still really like Johnson/Kuminga as 3/4 wing prospects. Even Giddey having one of the most elite skills in the draft. Just seems like a weird pivot in today's game to invest in the big when great wing prospects will be available when we pick.
I can see that. I think Sengun's playmaking is part of the key to his success. But there's also the consideration that with most teams moving away from post scoring bigs it gives the Kings a different way to create double teams and open shooters. I don't think post play will be cyclical and come back into fashion, but it's at the point where it's so devalued that having a strong offensive player in the post is becoming a big advantage as long as the post player is also a good passer.

I've been higher on Jalen Johnson than most but I'm starting to wonder if he'll slip significantly. I heard one scout describe him as, "the kind of kid that gets coaches fired". That said, if the Kings pick up #22 from the Lakers and he's still on the board I think that's worth a swing there.

Jalen Johnson plus one of Moody or Wagner wouldn't be a bad draft swing. Sengun and Johnson would be two big draft swings but one (or probably both) would need to become significantly better shooters for that to work. I think it's likely with Sengun and less so with Johnson.

So looks like Kings are looking at Josh Giddey. Monte turning some stones but if any thing to it recon Buddy and Wright being moved.
Wouldn't mind it in the slightest. Think his creation has a chance to be really really special and the Kings would all of a sudden possibly have the best playmaking in the NBA. I think you need to be confident he can add enough size to play the wing and be a more consistent shooter, but I'm on board with Giddey as well.

Wouldn't mind it in the slightest. Think his creation has a chance to be really really special and the Kings would all of a sudden possibly have the best playmaking in the NBA. I think you need to be confident he can add enough size to play the wing and be a more consistent shooter, but I'm on board with Giddey as well.
Yes we haven’t been talking about Giddey, but he has the size to eventually play some wing.

Last edited:
Here's my big board of "likely" guys to be available:

Want:
Moody
Wagner

Like:
Giddey
Johnson
Kuminga
Sengun
Jones
Williams

Disappointed but understand:
Keon Johnson
James Bouknight

Don't want:
Davion Mitchell
Corey Kispert

Basically, it'll be fairly difficult for me to be mad at the pick, if we keep it.

Jason Jones picks Sengun over Wagner and Johnson in the Athletic's latest, beat writer mock draft. He admits, though, it's tough to discern where the team is likely to go, and the pick seems to be based off his own assessment of need for another big, rather than reporting on team's intentions.

Zach Lowe had the DraftExpress guys on his latest pod, and they discussed the impression around the league that someone, likely the Kings, has made a "soft promise" to Wagner. They joked that it's not clear what exactly a "soft promise" is, but given the rumors that they're looking to move the pick, I could see it being something like, "we're going to look at trade options, but if we still have the pick at 9 we're taking you."
Hahaha, it will be hilarious if Monte gets Kuz to fill the wing needs and Sengun at C. That could be disastrous.

Pretty much ZERO defense though. Doesn't really fit with the supposed mold of Monte as a GM.

So looks like Kings are looking at Josh Giddey. Monte turning some stones but if any thing to it recon Buddy and Wright being moved.
This is getting ridiculous now. The Kings erratic history is being used against them again, lol. You can always throw the Kings out there whenever you need something stirred.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here's my big board of "likely" guys to be available:

Want:
Moody
Wagner

Like:
Giddey
Johnson
Kuminga
Sengun
Jones
Williams

Disappointed but understand:
Keon Johnson
James Bouknight

Don't want:
Davion Mitchell
Corey Kispert

Basically, it'll be fairly difficult for me to be mad at the pick, if we keep it.
For me, I’d move Wagner to the like list between Jalen Johnson and Kuminga……maybe ahead of Jalen Johnson. I’ve got doubts about his defense but there are so many people convinced he’s going to be good in the nba at it. I think he’s gotten role player written all over him. If they took, Giddey, I wouldn’t be mad at all. Looks talented as hell. Kuminga scares me. I’d move Sengun to the don’t want list and elevate Davion Mitchellto his spot.

The Kings have been continually burned by taking bigs in the draft instead of wings…….so don’t do it.

This is getting ridiculous now. The Kings erratic history is being used against them again, lol. You can always throw the Kings out there whenever you need something stirred.
Agreed there are a lot of crazy baseless rumours thrown out there regarding the Kings. This is from nbcsports saying the Kings have spoke to and watched Giddey in Las Vegas. The most likely possibility of getting Giddey that I see is taking him at 9.

Agreed there are a lot of crazy baseless rumours thrown out there regarding the Kings. This is from nbcsports saying the Kings have spoke to and watched Giddey in Las Vegas. The most likely possibility of getting Giddey that I see is taking him at 9.
I hope they did but we know a lot of these rumors are coming from agents. The game within the game. This is the same game that worked against Vlade when he took Papa G where he did. They bluffed him into thinking some team right behind that pick wanted him. Garbage, total garbage. The Blazers took a look and he was GONE from the NBA. If any team wanted him behind them they would have picked him up when he was waived. Don't get played Monte. You have EASY options at 9 to fill your wing needs pick one and move along.

I hope they did but we know a lot of these rumors are coming from agents. The game within the game. This is the same game that worked against Vlade when he took Papa G where he did. They bluffed him into thinking some team right behind that pick wanted him. Garbage, total garbage. The Blazers took a look and he was GONE from the NBA. If any team wanted him behind them they would have picked him up when he was waived. Don't get played Monte. You have EASY options at 9 to fill your wing needs pick one and move along.
No argument but I don’t see Monte as anything like Vlade, and Giddey is legit talent whereas Papa G was a head scratching moment.

No argument but I don’t see Monte as anything like Vlade, and Giddey is legit talent whereas Papa G was a head scratching moment.
No doubt. I think Giddey should be in the dicussion of highest potential for sure. I'm just saying letting other teams/agents bluff you. That might be happening with a similar big in Sengun right now. If Enes Kanter were in this draft, I can't see him going that high even if the production potential is there. All it takes is 1 team though so you never know.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Agreed there are a lot of crazy baseless rumours thrown out there regarding the Kings. This is from nbcsports saying the Kings have spoke to and watched Giddey in Las Vegas.
Yes, but the Kings have worked out/seen/spoken to just about every single player in the 7-20 range. We don't need to read anything particular into the Kings talking to Giddey. They're evaluating *everybody* in the range.

Yes, but the Kings have worked out/seen/spoken to just about every single player in the 7-20 range. We don't need to read anything particular into the Kings talking to Giddey. They're evaluating *everybody* in the range.
It's just funny how often the Kings are mentioned in what seems to be every conceivable scenario. If all that is true then Monte deserves some overtime and some vacation after the draft is over, lol.

I didn't think Tatum would be an elite player either. The hardest thing to turn elite, imo, is handles. Hence why I overrate it above shooting, which can be improved with hard work. Tatum's handle translated. Harden's did as well. And Curry's jumped. But for everyone of these players, there are like 10k benny macs. If Cunningham's handle translates, he'll be an all star level player. I'm not convinced it'll translate. It's loose and I've seen him settle too much for my liking.
Yes dribbling is the most difficult aspect of basketball to master. That's an easy one after playing basketball, football, and soccer. Like soccer, you have to develop your off-hand/foot well....and lots of people don't do it - or not well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.